Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What is the difference between Baja Mode and Sport Mode? Seems like they would be interchangeable.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Natai

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FWIW, nobody seems to have read this article in any of the other threads on the subject either..... Otherwise there wouldn't be a continued debate about getting the Advanced 4wd system, especially at the price offered. It's truly a better set of hardware and function over the basic 4wd in Bronco.
Agreed. I don't see the downside of having it - especially at that price. Thanks for the link.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ugh... Trying not to spend money on things I don't need or will ever use. Making it sooo hard. Biggest question I'm facing right now is "4A" worth it for the extra $1,500 it will cost to add it to the OB.
If you like the "set it and forget it" aspect then yes it is worth it. If you like the more "active driver" aspect then it is probably not worth the $$$.

Ironjamzz

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

GOAT Mode Guide Download Link: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/uploads/2021-Bronco-GOAT-Modes-Breakdown.pdf

Been an uptick of questions and discussions mentioning GOAT modes since KOH. We've got more info now than we did, but there's still a lot we don't know. There's also a lot of speculation out there, and it's not always easy to distinguish between confirmed information and educated guesses.

In looking at some of what we've gotten lately, I decided to try and compile what we know and highlight what we don't. I've got the beginnings of a list of sources, and I'm hoping that we'll be able to put our heads together and expand this.

In an effort to avoid the dreaded wall of text - and have some fun with things - it's all compiled and presented in a PDF file. Guide is currently available here.

If you know something that's not included - or notice a correction that needs to be made - please post it in this thread. To have it included in the guide, you must include a source for your information that can be confirmed. A video, photo, statement from a Ford rep, etc.

Right now this includes:
  • An overview of GOAT modes
  • What they have been verified to do and what they may do
  • How modes are selected and displayed on default driver instrument panel
  • Available modes by trim
  • A breakdown of each mode
  • A brief discussion on usefulness
  • List of sources
Here are a couple of example pages:

View attachment 88766

View attachment 88744
Planned for the next update:
  • Reference to original GOAT meaning as Goes Over All Terrain (@BroncoBuckaroo)
  • Rock Crawl with auto trans requires shifting into N to engage 4L (unclear from KOH videos if the same is true on manual (@IDyeti)
But once you squatch it it's all out the window. Base 2.7 2 dr squatched.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Ugh... Trying not to spend money on things I don't need or will ever use. Making it sooo hard. Biggest question I'm facing right now is "4A" worth it for the extra $1,500 it will cost to add it to the OB.
then read the article linked below and make an informed decision on what you want rather than conjecture.

https://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-articles/understanding-the-4wd-in-your-ford/

FWIW, nobody seems to have read this article in any of the other threads on the subject either..... Otherwise there wouldn't be a continued debate about getting the Advanced 4wd system, especially at the price offered. It's truly a better set of hardware and function over the basic 4wd in Bronco.
If you like the "set it and forget it" aspect then yes it is worth it. If you like the more "active driver" aspect then it is probably not worth the $$$.
4A is drastically different than a "set it and forget it" as it's entire function is entirely different from the non-"advanced" 4wd.

It ultimately brings a real-time 4wd system to the vehicle on dry roads. For all the hoopla on these here digital pages regarding tuning the Bronco or caring about how fast it is, one would think that understanding the differences between RWD and 4wd on a daily basis would be among the important factors.

That being said, the number of people who properly understand how 4wd or AWD require different driving styles to effectively use them, as observed on public roadways, is less than 1%. Watching people with their Subaru's or Quattro systems enter corners well too hot, mid-corner braking, zero-throttle after the apex then pussyfoot the throttle on a straight away is infuriating. So, based on observing the public and these threads about how 4wd and RWD are fundamentally the same, not a single damn person should purchase advanced 4wd or give one shit about the hardware in their bronco. The vast majority of owners will have no comprehension of how to drive it even on public roadways based on it's drivetrain.

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Aww makes sense! So just be us going 4LO, lockers, and business as usual! I like it!
Ashley, I remember back in the day us old folks had to actually do all that stuff ourselves. We didn't have any of those little new fangled do-dads to help. So, I know you can do it without them yourself. You young whipper snappers are sharp, and can learn quickly. Me, my old brain has turned to mush. Hence the saying, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks". :)

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Based on the BN video, all of the Hero switches are available in Normal.
Thanks; from the way this reads, it sounds as if it's still unknown?

Ford Bronco Bronco GOAT Modes Guide by Trim - Compiled and Confirmed Info 🐐 1612978079118

The Frisco Kid

Black Diamond
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 F-250, 2015 Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It still puzzles me that the First Edition doesn’t have all the goat modes.

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
These modes are all just software, so I virtually guarantee that the aftermarket will be all over tuning them. On most cars with selectable modes (like my GTI), there is a 'custom' mode where you can set your own steering effort, throttle mapping, traction control settings, shifting (if DSG/Auto), and in my car's case the aggressiveness of the active differential and the loudness of the fake exhaust note played through the speakers.

I'm sure someone (maybe even Ford Performance) will sell a module that lets you select any 'mode' settings you want through the OBD2 port via your phone.

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ashley, I remember back in the day us old folks had to actually do all that stuff ourselves. We didn't have any of those little new fangled do-dads to help. So, I know you can do it without them yourself. You young whipper snappers are sharp, and can learn quickly. Me, my old brain has turned to mush. Hence the saying, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks". :)
Yep. Getting out and turning those hubs off because the roads were good. Then you get out of the industrial area and you have to pull over again and lock them because the roads are not nearly as good as they just were. :LOL:

OP
OP
Natai

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

But once you squatch it it's all out the window. Base 2.7 2 dr squatched.
Huh? Being Squatched doesn't have anything to do with GOAT modes.
Thanks; from the way this reads, it sounds as if it's still unknown?

Ford Bronco Bronco GOAT Modes Guide by Trim - Compiled and Confirmed Info 🐐 1612978079118
Just double checked the BN video.
It confirms all the 4WD options are available, but does not mention the Hero switches. So the guide is correct and my response was wrong.
Hopefully they'll all be available in Normal.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

4A is drastically different than a "set it and forget it" as it's entire function is entirely different from the non-"advanced" 4wd.

It ultimately brings a real-time 4wd system to the vehicle on dry roads. For all the hoopla on these here digital pages regarding tuning the Bronco or caring about how fast it is, one would think that understanding the differences between RWD and 4wd on a daily basis would be among the important factors.
Fair point @Rick Astley . But for the basic conversation and quick answer it is also "close enough". The person using the system does need to add some common mechanical sense though.

OP
OP
Natai

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

These modes are all just software, so I virtually guarantee that the aftermarket will be all over tuning them. On most cars with selectable modes (like my GTI), there is a 'custom' mode where you can set your own steering effort, throttle mapping, traction control settings, shifting (if DSG/Auto), and in my car's case the aggressiveness of the active differential and the loudness of the fake exhaust note played through the speakers.

I'm sure someone (maybe even Ford Performance) will sell a module that lets you select any 'mode' settings you want through the OBD2 port via your phone.
Yeah, my wife's GLC has an Individual setting that lets you mix and match from the other modes. No one likes riding with me in sport, but I really prefer its steering so I combine the normal shifting with sport steering when I drive them.

I'm hoping that GOAT modes will be adjustable via FORScan. Also hoping that Sport can simply be enabled on BL/FE with FORScan without any issues. Time will tell.

Canyonero02

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F150, 2021 Jeep JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do we know for sure that Sport mode defaults to 2wd? On the new 2021 F-150, Sport mode automatically shifts you into 4H. If that's the case on the Bronco, I don't see much difference between that and Baja.

Just give me a mode that changes the shift points to make it feel peppier and stay in the power band. I'd rather control 4wd, sway bar, and traction control on my own.
Sponsored