North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I think it's unfair to expect Kia pricing from Ford when they're already a better value, capability-wise, than Toyota.
I was not comparing the pricing to a Kia, I paid $45K for my 2017 Kia Sorento and $45K for my wife's 2018 Subaru Forester, those both put you in the Bronco neighborhood with inflation.
Sponsored

RedRiverRev

First Name
Herman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
"Clueless", hardly, have you seen my analysis spreadsheets?
2021 Bronco pricing & savings spreadsheet (X-Plan vs Invoice and Below Invoice)
Bronco6g Build & Price Planner Spreadsheet

As an engineer, who knows how to make smart decisions with my money, I'll pay up for the want, need or fun factor, when it makes sense to me. But I know how to carefully evaluate the three, that is how I got my house paid-off, only pay cash for my vehicles and have plenty set aside for retirement for when I choose, not when my bills let me. Those that do not understand those priorities, that is when you can use your "clueless" term.
It sounds like you're adding values that are highly personalized, which there's nothing wrong with that. It's difficult to add value to a toy. The 4Runner is a more practical vehicle with toy-like features. The Bronco is a toy with practical features. They're coming at it from two different angles. The 4Runner has a more European-style off-roading approach whereas the Bronco is uniquely American. It's difficult to put a value on that.

I'm personally looking for something more daily friendly, so that's why the 4Runner appeals to me over the Bronco. But you can't say the Bronco isn't a good value for being a toy. It's honestly very competitive for its segment...which really only consists of the Jeep.

It's like the Honda Ridgeline. It's not a mid-sized truck, but since we don't have utes in this country, we awkwardly cram it into the mid-size truck category. But it ends up being apples and oranges. There's so few BOF SUVs that the 4Runner automatically gets thrown in with Wrangler and Bronco, but it's not exactly a 1:1 comparison.

RedRiverRev

First Name
Herman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I was not comparing the pricing to a Kia, I paid $45K for my 2017 Kia Sorento and $45K for my wife's 2018 Subaru Forester, those both put you in the Bronco neighborhood with inflation.
I was referring to the Kia model of undercutting the competition. You admittedly get alot for a Kia that you would otherwise pay thousands, if not tens of thousands, more in a competitor. It's why the Telluride is money machine right now.

John B+9

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 F-150, '13 Golf TDI, '21 GX460
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Don't get me wrong - I am a blue oval truck fan and have my heart set on 2021 Bronco. But regarding 4Runner being "blah" I think it's us looking in the rearview mirror, not Toyota. What has Toyo been doing for the past 10 years? Yes, milking their cash cow body on frame trucks. But at the same time, perfecting hybrid drive technology - two wins at 24 hours of Le Mans with hybrid powertrain, 2018 and 2019. (Think that means anything for off-road?) And upping their game - have a look at new Corolla, Highlander and RAV4 compared to the previous generation of each. Indications are that the new generation BOF trucks are well into development and will be released for the 2022 model year. Expect the new 4Runner will have all the ruggedness and reliability of previous generation, plus a rock-solid hybrid power train and decent helping of the features we've seen in all Toyo new gen vehicles. For this reason keeping 4Runner as my Plan B . . . just sayin' :)

Ford Bronco Bronco Pricing Realities & Toyota Alternatives Toyota-wins-2018-Le-Mans-24-Hours-001

Last edited:

Sponsored

jonwithanelcamino

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
El Camino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Interdasting. Weird that they do that on their LC, but nothing else (that I've seen anyway...I'm no expert).
I have a 2019 Highlander and its all integrated. It is AWEFUL. 2020 got a Carplay update, but really disappointed with the infotainment of a 2019 model. ALso, can't wait for the turbo v6. The Highlander v6 leaves A LOT to be desired.

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Admittedly, I was pretty dead set on a Bronco so long as Ford didn‘t revive it like Chevy did the Blazer... (see username)

That being said, I’m looking at a 2 door v6 Sasquatch base model at ~$37k, while the 2021 4Runner starts at ~$36k (Both before taxes, accessories, or smaller options). For that price I feel like I’m getting a lot more for my money over the 4Runner (and we all know the 2022 4Runner is going to be more expensive).

Personally, I don’t need much luxury or a bunch of tech (see username), and the Sasquatch package and v6 are more about durability than performance for me (the 2.7 is a stout little motor, and the Sasquatch adds an iron front dif), the only tech I wanted was android auto and air conditioning, but with my above build I still get trail control, trail turn, several goat modes, and the one pedal driving (honestly, out of these I will probably only ever use the trail turn and goat modes...)

so for me and my needs, the Bronco makes the most sense, besides that, the 4Runner doesn’t come in a 2 door ?
No badlands?

Axe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser, 2018 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm gonna be that poseur guy that gets a Badlands but doesn't need all of its features, right now. Now, if I can convince my girlfriend they need school teachers in Utah or Colorado or Arizona or anywhere out west instead of stupid Pennsylvania, different story. But if not, I just like the way it looks.
After having 3 FJs since their inception, it's time for something new. The 4 Runner just doesn't do it for me, it's just a tired looking vehicle. Won't consider JL so Bronco is the only vehicle that fills that midsize SUV void for me. I really don't understand all the whining about prices, since the basesquatch seems like the Deal of the Century to me. Not sure what everyone was expecting, it's not 1971 anymore.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm getting a new Bronco decision made period! But I'm still keeping the Tacoma and 4Runner. As someone said before Reliability and Resale Value are their strong points. Example, back when Mercedes and BMW were the only luxury brands a consumer could go to Lexus came on the scene. They built boring looking luxury vehicles but instilled that Toyota reliability and added top tier customer care (i.e. turn in a Lexus for service given a Lexus loaner vehicle), made Mercedes and BMW change their strategy or watch sales go away. Kinda like what the Bronco is doing to Jeep now. Competition is good for the consumer.
Ha, Lexus were awful vehicles that were horrible to work on. Toyota also had one of the longest runs of recalls week after week than any car company in history. The 4 Runners may be reliable now, but that's why it is so long in the tooth. It has had decades of refinement. I couldn't live with that motor it is so underpowered. I'm not trying to dog it, but Ford trucks are just as reliable when serviced per Ford spec. I do lots of 4 runner wheel bearings, water pumps, radiators, trans coolers ruining transmissions, ball joint problems, etc....We just need to keep things fair when commenting. Early F150 5.4's had spark plug and coil issues, but I used to do head gaskets on 22RE 4 runners weekly on almost new trucks. Anyone remember Tacoma leaf springs breaking in half going down the freeway? Ford has innovated and Toyota just refined. Hence the reason Ford seems to have more gremlins. Development means learning. No different than Jeep, Toyota is doing customers a disservice, by selling you the same vehicle at a higher price and people buy into the "reliability" rhetoric so much, the blindly offer their cash as a sacrifice to the almighty Toyota. Same with Honda. That reliability of some manufactures over others is not as valid as the internet makes it.

Dr.Z

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Pricning is only a concern where the Squatch adds an additional $1600 I do not want ....(auto).

So, far a (manual) Black Diamond + Squatch (+$6100) , it is cheaper to get a Badlands and keep the manual and realize that you are getting the entire Squatch suspension PLUS the disco-sway bar and if so desire, wear out the 33's and move on to 35's later.

Man, if they did a manual BaseSquatch, that would be the real value leading rig ....$35k!!! People would still bitch about the cloth though....rightfully so, I suppose. I have no interest in being that stripped down though.
This is where I’m at... Badlands ... you essentially don’t have to touch, tech, looks or suspension wise plus you get a manual with everything that a SAS is... and so what is the disco won’t be utilized full... can’t imagine the sway bars on rubicons I see around are used to their full potential...
it’s more up front but eliminates a lot of add ons that cost $$

Sponsored

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
All valid points, I would consider dropping down to a lower trim but I want, and need, the full-up technology items which means I can only select from the Outer Banks and up in order to get the Lux package since that is the only way to get all the tech. My Kia Sorento and Subaru Forester are loaded with all the technology options and would never go back. The Kia locking AWD was plenty for pulling my boat up the boat ramp but I sold the boat and I'm ready to find new adventures.

If I do end up buying a Bronco and head down those off-the-beaten-track trails, I want the capability to explore. Do I need front & rear lockers, do I need a sway bar disconnect, maybe not, but they give me the confidence to get out of stuff when we are out on our own and not with a group.

Sure there is a difference between need and want, to me the Badlands on 33" is the look I like in an off-roader. If I end up deciding the Bronco is the right fit, that would be where I spend my money, all cash, I don't like financing when I can avoid it.
I totally get where you are coming from now with this post, this explains it better than your previous posts.

The part I still get hung up on is that you would consider going to other vehicles that might be less capable than the Bronco Badlands. I would think that if you optioned the lockers and threw some better tires on the OBX trim, it would be just as capable for anything you might encounter.

But in the ends it's your money do whatever puts a smile on your face and that is all that matters.

Imissmy1996bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

No badlands?
Nope, the only thing the badlands really offers over sasquatch is a disconnecting sway bar, and personally I prefer the durability of just having the solid steel sway bar instead. (Also I don't need the extra flex for anything I'm going to be doing.)

The other factor is that a badlands with no options is almost over my entire budget. If I had a larger budget I'd actually probably do black diamond with sasquatch and v6.

For me, the base model 2 door with no options already checks the box for every "must-have" on my list, everything beyond that is a "want to have" ?

ndumlao72

Base
First Name
Nestor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma & 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ha, Lexus were awful vehicles that were horrible to work on. Toyota also had one of the longest runs of recalls week after week than any car company in history. The 4 Runners may be reliable now, but that's why it is so long in the tooth. It has had decades of refinement. I couldn't live with that motor it is so underpowered. I'm not trying to dog it, but Ford trucks are just as reliable when serviced per Ford spec. I do lots of 4 runner wheel bearings, water pumps, radiators, trans coolers ruining transmissions, ball joint problems, etc....We just need to keep things fair when commenting. Early F150 5.4's had spark plug and coil issues, but I used to do head gaskets on 22RE 4 runners weekly on almost new trucks. Anyone remember Tacoma leaf springs breaking in half going down the freeway? Ford has innovated and Toyota just refined. Hence the reason Ford seems to have more gremlins. Development means learning. No different than Jeep, Toyota is doing customers a disservice, by selling you the same vehicle at a higher price and people buy into the "reliability" rhetoric so much, the blindly offer their cash as a sacrifice to the almighty Toyota. Same with Honda. That reliability of some manufactures over others is not as valid as the internet makes it.
I agree no car or manufacturer is perfect but there is a reason resale value is high. Not that they are undependable but because they are. The original parts usually last longer, switchgear on a 20yr old Toyota still working, take vehicle as a whole not just individual parts. Service maintenance the key, there is a reason that 2007 Tundra hit 1 million miles, the guy literally drove that truck about 100k miles a year
Sponsored

Last edited: