Sponsored

Coggin Ford dealership oil change disaster

What is your worst Ford dealership debacle?

• Total voters

GMC

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I normally do my own, but a few years ago we picked up a new car for my wife that came with 3 years of "complimentary" oil changes and tire rotations. The first time in to the dealer, it came back with oil spilled all over the engine, bolts missing from the splash panel, multiple stripped inserts, lug nuts mangled (the cheap two piece they use don't hold up to an impact) and scratched wheels. They offered me a voucher for a free oil change for the trouble. After that, I purchased a lift. When it's gets to the point I can no longer do it, I'll find an independent tech.
Sponsored

2023bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can't even trust tire places to install lug nuts properly. I've spent hundreds of dollars getting studs replaced because the tire shops destroy them. I ruined my back for a month changing a tire on the side of the road due to improperly installed lug nuts. If I had a lift, my cars would virtually never see a tire shop or dealership. They are absolute morons.

RubyRedGT

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco. Sold the 1968 and 2015 mustang GTs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, the moral of the story is to just DIY! šŸ˜‰

After many dealerships and garages being useless twats that f--k s--t up, I quit taking my cars in and just started doing it myself. If you want it done right, DIY...
Agree 100%. Not criticizing the OP but I donā€™t trust mechanics I donā€™t know. Warranty service is different, but not for any service that I can do myself. Heck, I went to my trusted shop for an alignment after adding more lift a few weeks ago and they (the owner!) didnā€™t tighten the front lower control cam bolts to even half the specified torque specs. How do I know? ā€¦ because I checked the torque on all suspension bolts the minute I got home.

OP
OP
dimasin

dimasin

Black Diamond
First Name
Dimasin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am curious, what is Ford's liability here?
I am also very interested in finding out. It is malpractice that caused damage and potential injuries. So, in case if I will be treated like schmuck, I am wondering what my legal options are. Google and Yelp reviews are purchased. Manufacturer? Local attorneys? I feel that this bash plate flying from under my Bronco could have killed other unsuspecting motorist. Do you guys have any suggestions? There must be someone on this forum smarter than me! Your help is greatly appreciated!

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's one reason I like my front and rear facing dash camera that is recording all the time. It also voice announces it is recording when you start the truck. I think they are extra careful when they see that ,lol. I still mark my oil filter before I carry it in though since the only time I had a negative experience was years ago when they left my marked filter on the car.

Sponsored

kr_1315

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Tundra, Explorer, IS500, '23 Bronco 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am also very interested in finding out. It is malpractice that caused damage and potential injuries. So, in case if I will be treated like schmuck, I am wondering what my legal options are. Google and Yelp reviews are purchased. Manufacturer? Local attorneys? I feel that this bash plate flying from under my Bronco could have killed other unsuspecting motorist. Do you guys have any suggestions? There must be someone on this forum smarter than me! Your help is greatly appreciated!
Ford has zero liability. The dealer had the responsibility of ensuring everything was done correctly.
"Potential" anything doesn't meet the requirement for a lawsuit. Actual damage is the only thing you would be entitled to. Hopefully the dealer will own up to it, and replace the damaged parts, "correctly" this time.
Incidentally, my F150 came from that same dealer when it was Mike Davidson Ford. I bought it new in 1995 and still have it. I never let them work on it though. lol

DirectHit

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I personally donā€™t use anybody that I donā€™t have a personal relationship with to work on my vehicles. My current gladiator still has 3 free oil changes on it, but I prefer to pay out of pocket for someone I trust. My broncos go to a dealership where I have a tech friend. Wifeā€™s Yukon hasnā€™t been back to dealer since bought it, it too goes to an independent.

apparently I have trust issuesšŸ˜€

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What, no "none of the above" answer?

Your post suggests that people can only have significant problems.

8421dave

Wildtrak
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Sequoia, 20 Volvo S60, 62 Impala Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I voted for loose lug nuts but I noticed half were missing and only finger tight after my service. Thankfully I stopped for lunch next to the dealership and found this before jumping on the freewayā€¦šŸ˜³

IMG_2026.jpeg

RichWpg

Wildtrak
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2d Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I had the fabled Mercedes-Benz, Germany trained, $200/hr techs over torque my lugs to the point where they sheered off while I was driving through an intersection, causing one of my wheels to be liberated from the hub.

Let me tell youā€¦ nothing sinks your stomach like seeing your own wheel go through an intersection while you sit there trying to process what is happening. Slowly, you realize what those ā€œpop pop pop popā€ noises your heard were.

Go ahead, ask me if I own any more Mercedes ā€¦

Sponsored

MistaGavin

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 F-150 & '68 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
After I had my MT TSB done I looked over the work when I got home. Found a couple undone clips and a loose fuel line that was flopping around and rubbing on the trans. Took a video for the dealer and they had me come back in the next day. Turns out the tech forgot to install a fuel line bracket and couldnā€™t find it anywhere in the shop. They had to temporarily fasten it (zip ties) and order me a new one which they installed a few weeks later.

68 galaxie

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 galaxie /2017 f450 /2021 f150 / 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Just go across town to Duval Ford they have changed oil in all my vehicles for 10 plus years. They are great.

OP
OP
dimasin

dimasin

Black Diamond
First Name
Dimasin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thank you, everyone. I brought vehicle to Coggin Ford and waiting on their verdict. I was told that most of the time bash plates get banged off-road and shear off. So, they'll probably try to pull FU stint. Ford Motor Company is not liable either. We will see...

ADK23

Outer Banks
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2 Dr
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I understand circumstances dictating not being able to do your own oil. Also most of the lube technicians are usually guys with very little experience. They usually have a basic understanding of automotive equipment but they usually don't make enough to be as thorough as a seasoned line tech. You are right always check your vehicle after service but you really shouldn't have to. Oil change guys should be the ones who are more on the ball than anyone else in the dealership, considering that the oil change is the most requested service
This seems to be a disturbing trend at automotive dealerships regardless of brand. The real mechanics that are certified are busy working on more major problems and theyā€™re hiring kids with zero experience. Very little training to perform oil changes and tire rotations. I think this is a dangerous trend And the manufacturer should demand formal training.

pillar406

Outer Banks
First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.keeseemotorcompany.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This seems to be a disturbing trend at automotive dealerships regardless of brand. The real mechanics that are certified are busy working on more major problems and theyā€™re hiring kids with zero experience. Very little training to perform oil changes and tire rotations. I think this is a dangerous trend And the manufacturer should demand formal training.
At our dealership the oil change guys go through 3 weeks of training which involves 1 week of watching a tech do the work, a week of helping the tech do the work and then the last week is them doing the work with the tech watching and being hands off
Sponsored