lsustang05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Raptor SuperCab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Probably means apple CarPlay or android auto for connected navigation. Connect built in is the navigation that does not require a phone. But I’m just making an educated guess here and could be wrong.
Sponsored

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
90 days vs 3 years.

Also, built-in has the GPS in the system and doesn't rely on your phone.
Needs confirmation.

I see many threads on this and foresee many more.

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So without "built-in", the Bronco has no GPS unit so it wont know where it is if it loses cellular coverage, right about the time you get lost?

Is that correct?

lsustang05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So without "built-in", the Bronco has no GPS unit so it wont know where it is if it loses cellular coverage, right about the time you get lost?

Is that correct?
Yea, just like every vehicle circa 2005 lol. It will function just fine, but if you have no data or cell coverage your navigation won’t work.

On apps that are meant for off-road they may actually still work. For example, LeadNav can use a separate GPS puck and still get navigation off-the-grid.

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yea, just like every vehicle circa 2005 lol. It will function just fine, but if you have no data or cell coverage your navigation won’t work.

On apps that are meant for off-road they may actually still work. For example, LeadNav can use a separate GPS puck and still get navigation off-the-grid.
???? I’m still not understanding. The early navigation systems worked whether or not someone had a cell phone paired to it or not. Reason being they had a GPS unit installed in the car, correct?

Sponsored

lsustang05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
???? I’m still not understanding. The early navigation systems worked whether or not someone had a cell phone paired to it or not. Reason being they had a GPS unit installed in the car, correct?
How I am understanding it is the connected nav is not baked into the SYNC 4. SYNC 3 has two versions, one with nav and one without. The one without can still have navigation but it’s done through Apple CarPlay or android auto. If you have no phone, you have no nav and if you lose signal, you lose nav.

Connected Built-In is the nav baked into SYNC 4 and also does the off-road navigation. It sounds like subscription will be a cellular type connection that keeps you linked up to load maps and trails.

https://fordauthority.com/2020/07/2...tay-connected-even-outside-of-cellular-range/

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm pretty sure even our F-150 work truck has Apple Play and displays navigation on the vehicle screen. Is this not satisfactory or am I missing something? I can't fathom wanting built in navigation at this point in time.

BLee

Badlands
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I got built in Nav in my last two builds because where I’m trail riding I don’t have cell service but I do get gps satellite signal most of the time.

I always carry a good old paper map.

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm pretty sure even our F-150 work truck has Apple Play and displays navigation on the vehicle screen. Is this not satisfactory or am I missing something? I can't fathom wanting built in navigation at this point in time.
Because if you travel far off road, beyond cell service, you won’t have any navigation, right when you need it most.

Sponsored

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Because if you travel far off road, beyond cell service, you won’t have any navigation, right when you need it most.
Well don't I feel silly. Thank you. Is there not a way to download a bunch on a phone or tablet or I guess if the navigation is in the car it is satellite fed a d shows your location with is best?

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Interesting... i am not as concerned with trails as much as I am about not being tied to a subscription for as long as I own my car. So from what I've gathered, the built in gets you 3 years but keeps working after that (just no updates) where the regular one stops working when the subscription does.

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I dont know about anyone else but I really dont like the sound of this.....

https://owner.ford.com/fordpass/fordpass-privacy-policy.html

FordPass Mobile App

This Privacy Policy incorporates by reference the FordPass mobile app Terms and Conditions.
Information We Collect: Depending on how the vehicle is equipped and settings, we collect the following types of information through your use of FordPass or third-party services that integrate with FordPass; we may combine this information with other information you have previously provided, or that we have collected from other sources:

• Information you provide to create an account or sign-in to an existing account, or utilize available services such as name, email address, photo, street address, telephone number, credit card, Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), and vehicle service records. You must have an account to use FordPass mobile app, and to access certain functionality on the FordPass website.
  • Connected Vehicle Information including:
    • Vehicle Location (may also be referred to as Precise Location Information): Global Positioning System (GPS) data and location information including the vehicle’s current location (latitude and longitude) is collected from the vehicle in connection with location-based functions of FordPass. Vehicle Location may also be derived from IP address. This information can be used to determine your vehicle’ travel direction and speed. Vehicle Location also includes charging locations used (if applicable).
    • Driving Data (may also be referred to as Driving Characteristics and Behavior): Information about how the vehicle is operated and used (such as speed, use of accelerator, brakes, steering, seat belts, etc.).
------------------

• To provide you with connected navigation services through your in-vehicle infotainment system, we use cloud-based location services provided by Telenav, Inc. (“Telenav”) or Garmin International, Inc (“Garmin”). For SYNC3 connected navigation services, Telenav obtains certain information, including: a unique user ID assigned by Ford, your current GPS location and planned route and/or destination information from your SYNC 3 in-vehicle system or mobile device, your address or point of interest search requests and search results selections, information about your use of the location search service, its performance, and your related actions and selections. Telenav may use this information to provide, improve, and enhance its products and services. For the SYNC4 Connected Navigation or Connected Built-In Navigation services, Telenav or Garmin (depending on vehicle equipment and services used) may receive information including a unique vehicle identifier, the vehicle’s current GPS location, route and/or destination information, address or point of interest search requests, results, and selections.

TomH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Isn’t it easier to use Waze? Apple Car play....my previous two cars had navigation. Never used the factory nav, just used Waze.
Sponsored