Sponsored

*EDIT* fixed under warranty, TY Ford. Front axle snap after using trail turn assist.

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1996 Bronco, F350, JKU, MKZ, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I was in a a technical four wheeling situation where I needed trail turn assist on hard pack for about two feet. It worked great. I straightened out and went forward a short distance. At this point the drivers side axle snapped at the wheel side of the CV.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Valhalla

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No sir, I snapped a front axle, the front was locked to drag the rear around.
Not just the underlying surface as @Razorbak86 highlighted above, but you never should have locked the front. The front locker in general should rarely be used. Many of the guides at Off-Roadeo warned about the use of it.

Edit for clarification: The front locker was advised to be rarely used and when it is used to minimize the steering. Basically, they cautioned that steering with the front locker engaged compounds the forces in the axle and as a result will lead to failure. The actual TTA didn't break your front axle. But the full steering lock to engage the TTA with the front locker engaged, caused the failure.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The actual TTA didn't break your front axle. But the full steering lock to engage the TTA with the front locker engaged, caused the failure.
This. Front locker engaged, wheel turned to full lock and a hard surface equals very bad news.

The front locker makes it difficult to make small turns on loose surfaces. I imagine the Bronco had to be fighting you the whole way trying to turn full lock on a hard and dry surface. That should have been the first warning.

Bugkillah

Base
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Nissan 370Z Nismo, Nissan Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Base
I concur about not using trail turn assist with front locker on, but was it warned about?

Edit: it’s probably more about turning with front locker on than trail turn being engaged.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I concur about not using trail turn assist with front locker on, but was it warned about?

Edit: it’s probably more about turning with front locker on than trail turn being engaged.
Intuitively that trail-turn functionality seems likely to stress components. Thinking of my years navigating twisty trails out west, it's not a functionality I ever thought, man I need that.

Also before front lockers became a factory thing bought by every tom, dick and harry ... they were generally a specialty item an experienced owner would have installed for particular usages. Maybe these days owners are flipping on the lockers without thinking much about the usage and breaking stuff?

I have always with my 4x4s when wheeling, paid attention to application of power when my front wheels are turned. Always.

OP
OP
Valhalla

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not just the underlying surface as @Razorbak86 highlighted above, but you never should have locked the front. The front locker in general should rarely be used. Many of the guides at Off-Roadeo warned about the use of it.

Edit for clarification: The front locker was advised to be rarely used and when it is used to minimize the steering. Basically, they cautioned that steering with the front locker engaged compounds the forces in the axle and as a result will lead to failure. The actual TTA didn't break your front axle. But the full steering lock to engage the TTA with the front locker engaged, caused the failure.
This. Front locker engaged, wheel turned to full lock and a hard surface equals very bad news.

The front locker makes it difficult to make small turns on loose surfaces. I imagine the Bronco had to be fighting you the whole way trying to turn full lock on a hard and dry surface. That should have been the first warning.
Thanks for the input fellas. Although you both misread the situation I don't disagree with the why. You misunderstand the how.
1. No lockers engaged
2. Turn full lock left.
3. Engage turn assist.
4. Pulling uphill traction only on high side ( Why a Locker was needed). The slide going forward has the possibility of rolling off a cliff.
5. Front Locker only engaged.
6. Easing into the throttle for about 3/4 a tire rotation. This got all four tires in line on the ledge.
7. Disengaged trail turn assist.
8. Disengaged front Locker.

I don't disagree that this helped it break. I'm in a badlands using all functions as they are advertised to work. I use them correctly because hell yeah lockers. Create a lot of force. I disengage lockers ALWAYS till needed. Ice been wheeling for w0 years guys. The dealer will warranty or he won't. I won't be

Bugkillah

Base
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Nissan 370Z Nismo, Nissan Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Base
Interested to hear if they warranty.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Valhalla

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dealer discretion....

Tabman10

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Keep in mind that the OEM e-lockers are only allowed to engage and will automatically disengage based on vehicle conditions. SWA is a measured condition, and based on strategies developed in the early 2000's, should have caused the front to disengage when it hit a calibrated threshold. Whether it actually did or not may be the point of failure, and is a point that should be disputed with the dealer if they give you trouble,

builtMIbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond on 37s
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks for the input fellas. Although you both misread the situation I don't disagree with the why. You misunderstand the how.
1. No lockers engaged
2. Turn full lock left.
3. Engage turn assist.
4. Pulling uphill traction only on high side ( Why a Locker was needed). The slide going forward has the possibility of rolling off a cliff.
5. Front Locker only engaged.
6. Easing into the throttle for about 3/4 a tire rotation. This got all four tires in line on the ledge.
7. Disengaged trail turn assist.
8. Disengaged front Locker.

I don't disagree that this helped it break. I'm in a badlands using all functions as they are advertised to work. I use them correctly because hell yeah lockers. Create a lot of force. I disengage lockers ALWAYS till needed. Ice been wheeling for w0 years guys. The dealer will warranty or he won't. I won't be

Is that the first part of the ridge on Walden's? Sure looks like it! You might be the first 6G up there

Sucks to hear about the axle, how long after using tta did the axle let loose?

OP
OP
Valhalla

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model