Sponsored

*EDIT* fixed under warranty, TY Ford. Front axle snap after using trail turn assist.

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
We'll see, it's at the dealer now.
I mean, it's not really up to the dealer as far as locker use goes - you don't want to engage your front locker when your wheels are turned or you are performing a turn, especially on dry/hard pack or pavement.

I hope for you the dealer warranties it but I would avoid telling them you had the locker engaged.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Valhalla

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1996 Bronco, F350, JKU, MKZ, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I mean, it's not really up to the dealer as far as locker use goes - you don't want to engage your front locker when your wheels are turned or you are performing a turn, especially on dry/hard pack or pavement.

I hope for you the dealer warranties it but I would avoid telling them you had the locker engaged.
Is your Bronco a big bend?...If so let's use the power of imagination for a minute and say you had a factory skidplated locked front and rear squatched bronco with dig brakes and all the rock crawling goodies. Now lets say you had every intention of driving in the rocks..
Let's say while doing so you land belly on a rock making no contact with the rear tires. Only one tire on the front has traction. Would you engage the locker with the tire that has traction?
You seem very hung up on the locker but any experienced offroader would not hesitate to engage the locker is a scenario where one tire is dragging the entire rig over an obstacle. I had two tires, with traction ( albeit one with less on hard packed dirt ) dragging one tire possibly ten inches. Both tires were locked after turning and were at this point in the same direction. Now I know you say just drive around. The first drop for drive around is a cliff... The dealer may warranty may not, but you are Monday morning quarterbacking on a ride you know zero about.
Ford Bronco *EDIT* fixed under warranty,  TY Ford. Front axle snap after using trail turn assist. 20231028_105303

Thr above picture I'd what I was turning out onto.

Last edited:

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So I was in a a technical four wheeling situation where I needed trail turn assist on hard pack for about two feet. It worked great. I straightened out and went forward a short distance. At this point the drivers side axle snapped at the wheel side of the CV.
where exactly did the break occur at....the CV? the axle shaft? the outside splines on the stub axle? please be more specific so the speculation is left to a minimum. any pictures are appreciated.

OP
OP
Valhalla

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The outside at the wheel? To answer your question i would hesitate using a front locker having the wheel cut hard.

Front dig is we used to call fwd. or twin sticker transfer cases.

thinking about it more, Having TTA on, turning the front and having it locked seems like a lot of stress…. On a front axle shaft.

no engineer. I have wheeled a time or two though

Sponsored
OP
OP
Valhalla

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The outside at the wheel? To answer your question i would hesitate using a front locker having the wheel cut hard.

thinking about it more, Having TTA on, turning the front and having it locked seems like a lot of stress…. On a front axle shaft.

It is more where the break issue is that makes me think it is a warranty issue. I am used to the CV going out. not the stub at the wheel. If it had been the CV I would have choked it up to the game.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is more where the break issue is that makes me think it is a warranty issue. I am used to the CV going out. not the stub at the wheel. If it had been the CV I would have choked it up to the game.
Except the stubs are notoriously weak iirc. Thats why they ran beefy ones even on SFA…. But I am getting older and trying to not shun new te

OP
OP
Valhalla

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Except the stubs are notoriously weak iirc.
If this is so, we'll start seeing a lot of this, no way to make it larger so better is the only option, if you are correct.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If this is so, we'll start seeing a lot of this, no way to make it larger so better is the only option, if you are correct.
Hey, with a custom wheel bearing assembly maybe you could shove one of these Dana 60 joints in there but where will you shift the weak link? I don't know if it applies to your situation but one thing for all to keep in mind is the locker might not be truly unlocked after hitting the switch if there's a lot of bind still in the system.
Ford Bronco *EDIT* fixed under warranty,  TY Ford. Front axle snap after using trail turn assist. branik 1550 shaft

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

He needs an Atlas 😎

Sponsored
OP
OP
Valhalla

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score