Sponsored

*EDIT* fixed under warranty, TY Ford. Front axle snap after using trail turn assist.

OP
OP
Valhalla

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1996 Bronco, F350, JKU, MKZ, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

builtMIbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond on 37s
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was thinking some more about this last night and right now the biggest hurdle about a break like this in the long run is that no matter what CV option you choose the wheel side stub shaft gets no thicker. It's physically impossible without a new hub/bearing and even the Dana Advantek 35-spline axles still use the same wheel side stub shaft size with (I'm assuming) stronger or heat-treated materials. I remember a video of Dana talking about the upgraded axles where they spoke about durability and strength testing the new axles and they increased the size to the point the axles would consistently break only at the wheel side because of this and that would be a limitation.

I'm curious how much stronger you could make the shaft without increasing diameter. As we know with tie rods diameter exponentially effects strength.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I was thinking some more about this last night and right now the biggest hurdle about a break like this in the long run is that no matter what CV option you choose the wheel side stub shaft gets no thicker. It's physically impossible without a new hub/bearing and even the Dana Advantek 35-spline axles still use the same wheel side stub shaft size with (I'm assuming) stronger or heat-treated materials. I remember a video of Dana talking about the upgraded axles where they spoke about durability and strength testing the new axles and they increased the size to the point the axles would consistently break only at the wheel side because of this and that would be a limitation.

I'm curious how much stronger you could make the shaft without increasing diameter. As we know with tie rods diameter exponentially effects strength.
I dont think I have ever seen or heard a wheel side break in IFS land, its always the inner side whether at the narrower part or the actual spline area. Going to Danas 35 means they have more articulation on the inner side of the shaft for better range over 29 spline, but you still have the outer size the same, just better material process if you ask me.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Valhalla

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Because of how weird this break is to everyone is why i went to the dealer... I can not stress enough how little pressure from throttle was applied maybe 3~5 seconds of light throttle in both the turn assist and when it broke. it could be from the stress of the maybe 7 intense trips I've been on. But I honestly don't use the front locker till I lose traction most of the time. I do believe there was a flaw to that shaft. Regardless, I ordered the Ford performance shafts. Off hand do you guys no what size that axle shaft nut is?
@vrtical I'm pretty sure yours are bigger all the way, I may have to order Raptor parts at some point.

builtMIbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond on 37s
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I dont think I have ever seen or heard a wheel side break in IFS land, its always the inner side whether at the narrower part or the actual spline area. Going to Danas 35 means they have more articulation on the inner side of the shaft for better range over 29 spline, but you still have the outer size the same, just better material process if you ask me.
It's the second bronco one I've seen in a week, wreckt4d on IG broke his right after the hub splines I believe driver side. Locked front end and wheel spin/bounce on some rocks.

And yea for the price you'd hope those 35 splines are 300m or heat treated at least. I get the articulation argument, I believe they have bigger cv bells inner and outer to allow more angle too.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Because of how weird this break is to everyone is why i went to the dealer... I can not stress enough how little pressure from throttle was applied maybe 3~5 seconds of light throttle in both the turn assist and when it broke. it could be from the stress of the maybe 7 intense trips I've been on. But I honestly don't use the front locker till I lose traction most of the time. I do believe there was a flaw to that shaft. Regardless, I ordered the Ford performance shafts. Off hand do you guys no what size that axle shaft nut is?
@vrtical I'm pretty sure yours are bigger all the way, I may have to order Raptor parts at some point.
pretty sure we have the same spec FDU in the front, its the rear that is different as we have a D50.

Sponsored

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
No sir, I snapped a front axle, the front was locked to drag the rear around.
I don't believe that the front axles lock when using trail turn assist. What trail turn assist does is apply braking force to the inner rear wheel to the turn you are making causing your Bronco to pivot on the rear tire instead of turning on an arc.

OP
OP
Valhalla

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't believe that the front axles lock when using trail turn assist. What trail turn assist does is apply braking force to the inner rear wheel to the turn you are making causing your Bronco to pivot on the rear tire instead of turning on an arc.
I locked the front end.

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I locked the front end.
I think you answered your own question there then. You definitely did not want that front locked when you were attempting to make a technical/tight turn on hard pack with some traction. Heck, you might have been able to make the turn without trail turn assist - if your front wasn't locked.

Natethegreat1979

Wildtrak
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Intuitively that trail-turn functionality seems likely to stress components. Thinking of my years navigating twisty trails out west, it's not a functionality I ever thought, man I need that.

Also before front lockers became a factory thing bought by every tom, dick and harry ... they were generally a specialty item an experienced owner would have installed for particular usages. Maybe these days owners are flipping on the lockers without thinking much about the usage and breaking stuff?

I have always with my 4x4s when wheeling, paid attention to application of power when my front wheels are turned. Always.
In order for every Tom, Dick and Harry to get on your level of off-roading expertise, they'll have to start somewhere correct? We as humans learn by example, reading, and trail and error. What better way to learn how to use lockers then by, well, using them... let's not get frustrated at folks for having the things they want and can't use them, instead let's help them learn! Kindness is free my friend, we were all newbies at one point.