Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No one knows how to actually diagnose a problem anymore, much less solve it. They just have a flowchart to follow. Reboot.....it's hard to find the really smart folks behind so many layers or protective walls....even escalating often doesn't do much. We'll create a case and get back to you....right. Maybe 20% of the time someone does.
Sponsored

CrazyPete

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GMC Denali 2500HD Duramax
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I knew I was in trouble when I got an email from a Ford person with pronouns...

However, in my case, I was incredibly frustrated by the inability of Ford to even diagnose the problem, across multiple platforms--Ford, Fordpass, etc.--and each of those departments had no ability to communicate with the other nor see their systems. So, i would go through the whole litany of what my problem was, what I had been told to do so far, including resets, master resets, pulling the battery cable, each time I spoke with a new person. I was at the end of my rope by the time I talked with the "idiot" and since I made it clear from the outset of my call I had done multiple resets and was not interested in doing another, which he promised I wasn't going to do, when he took me down that path again, I lost my temper a bit. Never thought calling someone an idiot would result in a closed case on a new vehicle that was missing a chunk of its allure in the form of the connected services. Imagine if it was a safety related error. Too bad your safety related concern, which was diagnosed by our engineers, was closed without telling you the findings all because you hurt someone's feeling. Yeah, when I spend a lot of money and the thing I bought doesn't work as designed, and I deal with idiots, I am going to call a spade a spade.
I'm constantly calling people idiots. There are so many of them around nowadays.

Sometimes, I'm the idiot, but very rarely. Lol.

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry you’re going through this man! This is one of my fears. I’m amazed Ford does not have a staging environment in these cars so that if the update fails it can revert back to a good state. That’s OTA update 101…

ptgptg

Outer Banks
First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
No one knows how to actually diagnose a problem anymore, much less solve it. They just have a flowchart to follow. Reboot.....it's hard to find the really smart folks behind so many layers or protective walls....even escalating often doesn't do much. We'll create a case and get back to you....right. Maybe 20% of the time someone does.
Agreed. Use the script/flowchart and if that doesnt work, uh oh. There are a lot of people on this forum who have an amazing amount of knowledge and many of them far surpass the tech/engineers at Ford who do it professionally. Amazing.

Sponsored

ptgptg

Outer Banks
First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm constantly calling people idiots. There are so many of them around nowadays.

Sometimes, I'm the idiot, but very rarely. Lol.
I've actually been considering a lengthy letter to Ford's office of the president or whatever they call their claimed customer service area. I'm absolutely baffled that they knew there was a problem and CLOSED the case because I called him an idiot.

Loesch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You have to be near your wifi for the update to install so I doubt that will happen in a remote area. You also have the option to turn off updates.
I have had Sync4 update my F150 while sitting in a restaurant so it can absolutely happen without being connected to Wifi.

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have had Sync4 update my F150 while sitting in a restaurant so it can absolutely happen without being connected to Wifi.
If it is one of the above scenarios I pointed out absolutely. From Ford’s documentation “Requires in vehicle USB mobile broadband connection, PAN supported mobile device, or proximity to an outside wireless hotspot”

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Curious if any Forscan updates had been made to the As Built that would enhance the chance this could occur.

OP
OP
firsttimefordbuyer

firsttimefordbuyer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Final update:
Had it towed at 7am this morning. It's 2pm and the dealer called to let me know they were able to update the software with direct connection and the vehicle is now running! He couldn't explain what happened but mentioned there was a 4x4 connection that was 'loose' and they tightened it. It didn't sound like that was the root cause so hopefully for EVERYONE HERE my software update failure was some outlier glitch and not common. They are working on replacing the wiper motor recall and said it should hopefully be ready to pick up by 5pm.

Glad it didn't have to sit there over the weekend. What a shitshow that some software update to put wifi connection feature in place could result in bricking the entire vehicle. Thanks for the tips on resetting and batter disconnect. It was worth the try but didn't work. I think for now. I'm 100% going to TURN OFF software updates. This and some other quality issues with Ford lead me to start thinking about moving back to a Toyota.

ONE thing I will say is The service technician at the service department was GREAT! I hate my sales team and swore to never step back inside this dealership but have to say, that guy was super nice, good communication and appreciated his help from my call last night to getting things done today.

Sponsored

buckhorn_cortez

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, SHO, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I had an update problem with Sync in my F350. I called the Sync help number and got a person who knew exactly what the problem was and how to fix it. He talked me through the entire process of resetting the system and loading the update. He was willing to stay on the line with me until the update was complete. I was pleasantly surprised at the whole process.

Bryan1995

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks God! I turned off my automatic OTA update 3 days ago and didn't get any notification on it. Omggg

NatureBoy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sorry you’re going through this man! This is one of my fears. I’m amazed Ford does not have a staging environment in these cars so that if the update fails it can revert back to a good state. That’s OTA update 101…
Seriously… Their whole Sync department needs to be fired. That software has been such a big disappointment.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You have to be near your wifi for the update to install so I doubt that will happen in a remote area. You also have the option to turn off updates.
I'm fairly certain I saw it can do updates over cell network. But you make a good point.

Still, the computer bricking while I'm wheeling is a concern I carry with me on the trail.
My Bronco is not connected to WiFi and has gotten a couple of updates. Not connected to the phone either at the time. It uses the cell network just like when you lock / unlock the doors and can see the Bronco through the app. You can use WiFi but it is not necessary.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Turning off updates gets you constantly nagged by Ford prompts and attacked by this many members of this board.

But it doesn't brick your Bronco, so there's that.
Sponsored