First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm not sure what feature you are referring to that is self learning? That's the first I've ever heard those words with either of the engines tune.

JDM engineering stated it adapts to new parts, rather than constantly needing to be reflashed
Sponsored

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It will adjust itself. You will lose performance obviously. I wouldn't run 87 though. If you had to, it's suggested to not drive it like you stole it until you can put 91/93 back in.
id never go lower, but Im saying if Im tuned for 93, itd adjust for 91?

Jette

Black Diamond
First Name
Jet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The boost seems to come on at lower RPMs making the turbo feel less laggy. For me, this equates to a smoother acceleration through the mid-range and more eagerness to wring it out a bit. I'll have to give it some more time, but it feels a bit more peppy. I would say, though, that the tune makes it feel more progressive through the revs, more than you really feel the horsepower and torque improvements.
This change in feel is likely due to advanced timing in the lower RPMs. Unless you change turbo geometry or increase your exhaust flow and/or velocity; there won't be less 'lag' or added boost pressure at lower RPMs.

Glad you are getting more 'heat' in the seat from the simple tuning adjustments. Thanks for the write up!

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
JDM engineering stated it adapts to new parts, rather than constantly needing to be reflashed
I didnt realize that it can compensate for added parts. I could see intake and intercooler, but I would most definitely want to custom tune if adding downpipe, injectors, etc. and would uninstall the FP unit and go another route at that point. I think the Procal4 will be a good bump in power on a stock Bronco while eliminating warranty concerns for a while.

…. for Automatic transmission, the FP instructions say several days of driving may be required after the tune for “adaptive learning to complete”

Sponsored

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
This change in feel is likely due to advanced timing in the lower RPMs. Unless you change turbo geometry or increase your exhaust flow and/or velocity; there won't be less 'lag' or added boost pressure at lower RPMs.

Glad you are getting more 'heat' in the seat from the simple tuning adjustments. Thanks for the write up!
Can the wastegate be manipulated by the ecm to alter boost levels?

Bsenecal

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger crew cab, '17 Fusion sport, '68 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The reason why I won't lock myself into 92 octane fuel.... And these are Seattle prices, not even CA prices.

20221017_141237.jpg

Full disclosure: Washington has been #1 or #2 in the nation for state gasoline tax going on 30 years now, so our prices are generally high. $0.494 per gallon currently and will be $0.90 per gallon by 2030.
☚

JD11937

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Specs:
  • 2021 MY
  • Cyber Orange
  • 2-door
  • Manual transmission
  • Badlands
  • Mid package
  • Stock wheels 33"
  • About 4k miles
  • Always run 91 octane (California)
  • Several cosmetic, lighting, comfort and security mods
Timeline:
  • Ordered from Lethal Performance Oct 5
  • ProCal unit delivered Oct 13
  • Installed by Mossy Ford of Pacific Beach Oct 18
    • Originally I brought it in for install on Saturday Oct 15, but was told I needed to reschedule during the week as the shop foreman was the only one authorized to do the installation.
    • Charged for 1 hour of labor
    • I could have flashed it myself, but according to Ford, the warranty is only preserved if it's installed by an authorized dealer. I erred on the side of caution since it's a first model year vehicle and warranties are good.
Installation:

This is the first time I've used a factory tune and it was an easy process. As a Mac guy, I had to jump through a few extra hoops as the software is Windows only. I dropped off the truck early in the morning and the service rep was familiar with the tune; he had it on his Ranger and vouched for the performance improvements. The ProCal unit gets tied to the VIN and the pre-flash tune gets uploaded to "the cloud" for safe keeping. I had to register the ProCal with my Ford Performance account using the included code. This then gives you a link to download the software (if you're on a PC). I had to get the tech the software another way, which worked fine. A few hours later they said it was installed.

Driving Impressions:

The first thing I did was activate the rev matching feature to verify the tune was installed. Super easy process and I'm a fan of auto rev matching for MTs, especially for casual driving. It really smooths out the day-to-day driving by alleviating the need for me to do the blipping on down shift. It's not a performance vehicle; I'll save the heel-toe for my Camaro on track days, thank you very much.

I drove it on a long-ish highway drive and around town. I noticed a few things right away. The boost seems to come on at lower RPMs making the turbo feel less laggy. For me, this equates to a smoother acceleration through the mid-range and more eagerness to wring it out a bit. I'll have to give it some more time, but it feels a bit more peppy. I would say, though, that the tune makes it feel more progressive through the revs, more than you really feel the horsepower and torque improvements.

It's a relatively inexpensive mod that keeps the warranty in place, smoothing out the power delivery of the 2.3. The throttle response does seem better requiring less depression of the pedal for the juice to flow. I'm a fan.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-B23
This is probably a long shot but curious if you had the lurching/stuttering issue some manual owners are complaining of and if you’ve noticed it’s stopped since getting the tune.

OP
OP
theentirety

theentirety

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camaro SS 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is probably a long shot but curious if you had the lurching/stuttering issue some manual owners are complaining of and if you’ve noticed it’s stopped since getting the tune.
Actually yes on a few occasions I did experience the stutter. Felt like a fuel starve issue. It hasn't done it with the tune but will post if it does. It was very rare, like 3-4 times I'm 4k miles.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Actually yes on a few occasions I did experience the stutter. Felt like a fuel starve issue. It hasn't done it with the tune but will post if it does. It was very rare, like 3-4 times I'm 4k miles.
I’ve gotten this a few times. It’s almost always when I’ve been parked on an incline facing up my driveway and then I back out and when I go forward in 1st gear, I get a very quick stutter like a fuel starve as you mention.

Sponsored

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22/23 Bronco, 96 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Specs:
  • 2021 MY
  • Cyber Orange
  • 2-door
  • Manual transmission
  • Badlands
  • Mid package
  • Stock wheels 33"
  • About 4k miles
  • Always run 91 octane (California)
  • Several cosmetic, lighting, comfort and security mods
Timeline:
  • Ordered from Lethal Performance Oct 5
  • ProCal unit delivered Oct 13
  • Installed by Mossy Ford of Pacific Beach Oct 18
    • Originally I brought it in for install on Saturday Oct 15, but was told I needed to reschedule during the week as the shop foreman was the only one authorized to do the installation.
    • Charged for 1 hour of labor
    • I could have flashed it myself, but according to Ford, the warranty is only preserved if it's installed by an authorized dealer. I erred on the side of caution since it's a first model year vehicle and warranties are good.
Installation:

This is the first time I've used a factory tune and it was an easy process. As a Mac guy, I had to jump through a few extra hoops as the software is Windows only. I dropped off the truck early in the morning and the service rep was familiar with the tune; he had it on his Ranger and vouched for the performance improvements. The ProCal unit gets tied to the VIN and the pre-flash tune gets uploaded to "the cloud" for safe keeping. I had to register the ProCal with my Ford Performance account using the included code. This then gives you a link to download the software (if you're on a PC). I had to get the tech the software another way, which worked fine. A few hours later they said it was installed.

Driving Impressions:

The first thing I did was activate the rev matching feature to verify the tune was installed. Super easy process and I'm a fan of auto rev matching for MTs, especially for casual driving. It really smooths out the day-to-day driving by alleviating the need for me to do the blipping on down shift. It's not a performance vehicle; I'll save the heel-toe for my Camaro on track days, thank you very much.

I drove it on a long-ish highway drive and around town. I noticed a few things right away. The boost seems to come on at lower RPMs making the turbo feel less laggy. For me, this equates to a smoother acceleration through the mid-range and more eagerness to wring it out a bit. I'll have to give it some more time, but it feels a bit more peppy. I would say, though, that the tune makes it feel more progressive through the revs, more than you really feel the horsepower and torque improvements.

It's a relatively inexpensive mod that keeps the warranty in place, smoothing out the power delivery of the 2.3. The throttle response does seem better requiring less depression of the pedal for the juice to flow. I'm a fan.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-B23
I've searched a bit (haven't been on the forum in a while) - has Ford or anyone posted an actual dyno graph for the 2.3? I could care less about peak HP - I want to see the torque numbers under the curve.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Made an appointment online for procal4 install and oil change and when I got to the dealer they said they don’t do Ford Performance installs. Now I have to call around and find a dealer that will do it.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Called 4 more dealers and they won’t install it. How does this thing even have the “Ford” logo on it? This is irritating since I can do it myself in like 10 mins

Kfonte

Base
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi
Your Bronco Model
Base
Called 4 more dealers and they won’t install it. How does this thing even have the “Ford” logo on it? This is irritating since I can do it myself in like 10 mins
I did it myself. It saves the stock calibration, so I’ll change it back if I ever need anything under warranty. At least that’s what I’m telling myself now that it’s all done 😂

GypsyDRB

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From what I've been reading it does. 93 isn't available in a lot of places.
I've been using 93, but I saw an interesting new option at the Harris Teeter here in the Carolinas...90 grade without ethanol. Curious what the impact ethanol has / does not have on an ecoboost engine and if it would be okay for the performance pack?
Sponsored