Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Weird. Was it not fully seated perhaps?
No they were on just fine but I have a theory.
I think the screen in the catch can is too restrictive. It doesn't even allow light through it. The OEM tube is just that, a tube no restriction at all.
Anyway I took the screen out and I'm going to try that. Edit: I used rough steel wool as a substitute
On a side note 1500 miles and not even a film coating of oil. Bone dry.
Ford Bronco Ford Performance DUAL catch cans for 2.7 engine now available IMG_0317

Ford Bronco Ford Performance DUAL catch cans for 2.7 engine now available IMG_0314
Sponsored

Last edited:

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fmuguira

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So my thought on this is “does the F150 have history of problems with Ecoboost engines without a catch can”?? They ve got millions of miles on those by now AND way more vehicles/samples.

Guess the only thing I m real certain of is these things (catch cans) have a ton of profit involved when someone sells you one ….

Gluestick

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5, Bronco Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I see posts like this and think “man talk yourself out of it all you want. It was a little bit of money. I’ve moved on (with them installed).

Sponsored

smwalker

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
`for those asking, oil catch cans don't need a CARB EO number. OIl separators aren't a smog check item.
While that seems to be the case on paper do not be surprised if some inspectors fail you.
Some legitimate reasons they could fail a catch can are:
It is vented to the atmosphere with one of those little air filters.
It has the incorrect hoses used that are not PCV rated (Oil and gas rated)
It reroutes the factory lines in a way different from the factory PCV system.

And the one that is in the gray area is: Any change to the factory PCV system is a fail.

So what that chart up there really means is if your car came with a factory Air Oil Separator and you replace it with an aftermarket one that is a pass. That is how some inspectors choose to interpret that area of the law. And the BAR will back them up on that. But the BAR does not ding inspectors for passing catch cans, so they are squarely in the middle of the gray area.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm skeptical about it honestly.

BUT... curiosity got the best of me and I installed it on my 2.3L Bronco over the weekend. Going to run it for 3-4 months until my next oil change and then I'll make a post once I get the results.

If I don't "catch" any oil in the 2.3L catch can then my hunch is you won't need it on the 2.7L given it is port injected. BUT, the strange thing about the 2.3L catch can is output is pre-turbo rather than directly into the intake manifold. Not sure if the 2.7L kit is the same (I assume it is), but if I catch a bunch of a gunk maybe it's worth it just to keep the turbos a little cleaner? Not sure.

We shall see.
So... just following up from my post at the beginning of summer. ☝

Results are in... and... well... literally nothing. I obviously can't give any experiences with the 2.7L. But has anyone (other than @ScLeCo) checked their Ford Performance catch can?? And if so... did you get anything in it?

Last edited:

ScLeCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So... just following up from my post at the beginning of summer. ☝

Results are in... and... well... literally nothing. I obviously can't give any experiences with the 2.7L. But has anyone (other than @ScLeCo) checked their Ford Performance catch can?? And if so... did you get anything in it?
I replaced the screens that came with the cans with copper foam.
Nothing on drivers side.
A fair amount passenger side. I estimate that I will fill it every 4-6K miles depending on driving and weather.
In summation, for the 2.7 the passenger side is worth getting.
Save some money and don't bother with the driver side.
The filters are too restrictive and may cause a CEL.
Copper foam works well and is what most catch cans come with.

TLDR: Over all the Ford performance cans are wildly over priced and not worth the
hassle and expense of trouble shooting the CEL and then modifying them to work.

Gluestick

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Feels like your conclusion is wildly over the mark re filter material. I’m having no trouble for several thousand miles without any changes to filter medium. You might chalk up the CEL experience to a bad part or a bad combination.

ScLeCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Feels like your conclusion is wildly over the mark re filter material. I’m having no trouble for several thousand miles without any changes to filter medium. You might chalk up the CEL experience to a bad part or a bad combination.
I can only speak about my experience.
I can recreate the CEL at will. All I have to do is reinstall the filter it came with.

Sponsored

fpgould

Heritage
First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAM 1500 & Limited Heritage
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
New to this forum and a new Bronco owner. Found and purchased a Limited Heritage. To that point, what is the purpose of DUAL Catch Cans? I know performance but how so? Sound? Horsepower? Gas Milage?

OP
OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can only speak about my experience.
I can recreate the CEL at will. All I have to do is reinstall the filter it came with.
The 23's had issues with the cels on the catch can and the CAI if I remember correctly. I know in the Injen thread people with 23's were having those issues. I do not believe there are any issues with the Ford catch cans filters.

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

New to this forum and a new Bronco owner. Found and purchased a Limited Heritage. To that point, what is the purpose of DUAL Catch Cans? I know performance but how so? Sound? Horsepower? Gas Milage?
None of the above. A catch can sit ins the Positive Crank Ventilation (PVC). When an engine runs it cause pressure to build up in the block etc. That pressure used to be vented to the outside world by a little vent. In mordern engines they route the gases back to the intake to be returned and burnt off. People think the little bit of oil causes a problem with the pistons throttle body etc. So they use a catch can to capture the oil vapor in. A lot of times you will find water mixed with the oil. This is caused by condensation.

To make a long story short in my onion they do nothing but waist money and make folks feel good. I have had a 2.7 EB run over 300,000 mile with out ever using one. I also had a a 2013 GT500 and didn't use one on it.

Gluestick

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 23's had issues with the cels on the catch can and the CAI if I remember correctly. I know in the Injen thread people with 23's were having those issues. I do not believe there are any issues with the Ford catch cans filters.
I don’t think so. We’ve seen like 1 report of a CEL issue. I’ve got a 23 2.7 with no CEL on the FP catch cans. The most honest response is “not enough data.”

Gluestick

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

None of the above. A catch can sit ins the Positive Crank Ventilation (PVC). When an engine runs it cause pressure to build up in the block etc. That pressure used to be vented to the outside world by a little vent. In mordern engines they route the gases back to the intake to be returned and burnt off. People think the little bit of oil causes a problem with the pistons throttle body etc. So they use a catch can to capture the oil vapor in. A lot of times you will find water mixed with the oil. This is caused by condensation.

To make a long story short in my onion they do nothing but waist money and make folks feel good. I have had a 2.7 EB run over 300,000 mile with out ever using one. I also had a a 2013 GT500 and didn't use one on it.
hugely popular on racing vehicles especially in conjunction with setups to increase the total volume of the crankcase, while separating oil/air, and using intake pressure to create lower pressure inside crankcase. Not really how the FP setup works but it’s in the same general, diet-sized notion.
Sponsored