Sponsored

Ford should learn from Tesla about multiple reservation holders (person blacklisted)

Johnny Rebel

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Big Bend, 2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I work in a European service shop. 2 of my customers have new gt3s on order, 1 of them just took delivery of the new Dakar edition, and they were both telling us about it. They make them do a lease for the year and Porsche holds the title so they cant just sell it to anyone. And if anyone manages to do it they get restricted and the selling dealer loses an allocation. Fortunately neither of these guys plan to flip.

And that dakar 911 is sick. Pics on the internet dont do it justice.
Um, I'm gonna need some pics of that one! Would love to come by the shop if it's ever there.
Sponsored

strawhatguy

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Black Diamond / Tesla Model 3
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Capitalism and free markets without rules or it least guidelines is just chaos.
The only rules needed are kindergarten level - don’t steal, injure, or damage someone else’s stuff.
Anything else is just some trying to impose restrictions on others for something they don’t like, usually at no cost to themselves.

the reality is that if flipping is successful for Broncos, that means the demand outstrips production, and, effectively, the price is too low. I know many don’t want to hear that, but it is what it is. Hopefully we’ve learned the lesson: never shut down an economy, but 🤷
Of course these days, supplies are creeping back up, so prices can be a bit more normal, and flipping becomes less successful.

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Isn't Tesla known for bricking features for private party purchases? Like when the original owner sells used to another party and until the new owner re-purchases the already paid for option, it gets remotely disabled?
I smell what you are stepping in, but personally I'd rather not take a page from Tesla and open those gates further. I can see potential problems where a number of profile pieces match and someone is incorrectly blocked from purchasing. Besides, if someone has the leverage to get the unit, they can easily have a straw buyer purchase in their stead and pay for the deal or setup a sole prop/DBA quickly and cheaply to run the purchase through.

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I disagree with the price was too low.
But once you buy something, it is yours to do what you want.

Now if during the 2021 to 2023 Bronco craze, Ford limited 1 Bronco per person until orders were met, I could get on board with that. So if you wanted to flip it, you could only do it once ( I know, your spouse could do it also) but you get the point.

Manufacturers should never get to dictate what you do with your property. Especially Ford, that's not their market
And when they pull the velvet rope insiders club bullsh!t, I have to say ol' Henry has to be rolling in his grave.

Sponsored

rdg04578

Everglades
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 jeep rubicon, F-150
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
the difference between Tesla and Ford is that Tesla sells direct to customers--ford you must go through a dealer and the dealer must have allotment for you to order--thus there are limits on who can purchase what. Sure you can order 5 vehicles-- and you could use several dealers to get the orders through-- sell them when you get them--but will you make any profit on a flip-- only the market can determine that. Most dealers have quite a few Broncos on the lot--and you can find pretty much what you want with few compromises. At some point the market will be flooded again and flipping will no even be a consideration. I'm all good with someone making a buck and do understand that it's up to the manufacturer to limit orders if needed--whether it is to an individual person or a dealer -- kinda like what ford is doing with some models right now

strawhatguy

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Black Diamond / Tesla Model 3
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Doesn’t have to do much with one person’s agreement, I’m afraid. There were plenty of folks buying with ADM who did agree. Who’s to say who’s wrong? 🤷‍♂️

voxel

Heritage
First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I am not denying the right of someone to sell something they own. Go for it.

But in the case of Tesla, I also applaud them cancelling all future reservations for identified flippers and blackballing them from buying other Tesla vehicles.

there is capitalism, and then there is Ticketmaster capitalism. There is a line, not very clearly demarked at times, but some people just cross it and to hell with anyone else.

at some level I do applaud their ability to extract a vigg from the system, but also glad when a company figures out a way to shut them down.
Ford did do this. My local Ford dealer in 2022 told me about a person who bought and sold 8 Bronco Sports in a 3-6 month period and Ford basically banned him from ordering. That’s why you had to provide your driver’s license for any Bronco/Mach-E/Lightning order in 2021/2022.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
How about Ford just do something to stop the dealer ADM's then we can worry about the flippers.
Why?

Neither needs to be done. I can choose to do business with them or not. I’d much rather have capitalism and free choice than communism and “blackballing”.
Agreed.

The only rules needed are kindergarten level - don’t steal, injure, or damage someone else’s stuff.
Anything else is just some trying to impose restrictions on others for something they don’t like, usually at no cost to themselves.

the reality is that if flipping is successful for Broncos, that means the demand outstrips production, and, effectively, the price is too low. I know many don’t want to hear that, but it is what it is. Hopefully we’ve learned the lesson: never shut down an economy, but 🤷
Of course these days, supplies are creeping back up, so prices can be a bit more normal, and flipping becomes less successful.
I agree 85% of what you said here.

The prices were not too low, the temporary market allowed for greater prices to be charged based on the temporary demand. Semitics; yes. lol

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FYI, I have no issue with people who want to have multiple Broncos in their stable. But certain folks that bragged about flipping their Broncos for $10k more than they paid, AND they have another Bronco on the way is just BS.

I don’t think Tesla can or should sue flippers, but banning them from future orders is a good thing IMHO.
Why? I mean this forum was full of people who bought early and
1) had to sell for a profit because they needed a truck
2) the consumer flipping them for a profit was heralded here but the dealer condemned. Both did such a good job ford raised msrp
I love it

and I ordered 4, to make sure I got 2

since ford changed the metrics of who got the bronco, I played the game they created

Sponsored

Newdoc

Wildtrak
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
But once you buy something, it is yours to do what you want.

Now if during the 2021 to 2023 Bronco craze, Ford limited 1 Bronco per person until orders were met, I could get on board with that. So if you wanted to flip it, you could only do it once ( I know, your spouse could do it also) but you get the point.

Manufacturers should never get to dictate what you do with your property. Especially Ford, that's not their market
And when they pull the velvet rope insiders club bullsh!t, I have to say ol' Henry has to be rolling in his grave.
These are vehicles that are bought for more than basic transportation. Nobody is cornered the rice and bean market and manipulated things so people can't find work, food, transportation and shelter. If someone is dumb enough to buy a flipped Hummer EV at 200-300% over list then I hope they had money to burn bc they are sitting at a huge loss. The same will happen with the Cybertruck. No need for the manufacturer to step into the pride and product lust of the American consumer.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Everybody wants to be a capitalist until it's time to do capitalist shit.

This is the free-market...love it or leave it.
I wouldn't want to live under an unbridle capitalist system (and am glad we don't here in the USA). And as a business owner in a "free market", maybe I would not want someone messing with my business aims making multiple reservations. I guess those customers are free to go elsewhere? ;)

Big Swede

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Can't. It's illegal to sell normal cars that way.

And what is illegal now? Adding fees?
Yes, the new CARS rule put out by the FTC. It basically just means they have to sell the car for what they advertise. Any other fees have to be optional. Dealer are trying to get around that by adding bogus fees onto the sticker. So still have to double check them. They can’t charge you for anything you don’t get a benefit for.
Sponsored