Getrag 7 speed manual built in China

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Built in China vs built in USA means almost nothing on its own. Both countries turn out some great products, both countries turn out some crap products, and everything in between. Simply where it’s made doesn’t determine that. Plus it’s not like the auto isn’t going to have Chinese parts on it. Sure the transmission is put together here, but are all the pieces inside it made here? And what about the rest of the vehicle? Most “American Made” vehicles are less than 80% actually made in America, some way less(supposedly as low as 30% on some models even in recent years from all 3 American car brands). Japanese brands built in America use as much if not more American parts as the American companies now.
So simply that it’s made in China doesn’t bother me. It could be a crap transmission sure, it could also be a great transmission. But even a crap manual transmission is better than any auto to me.
Sponsored

PhoenixM3

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2018 Fiesta ST, 2018 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hello,

I’m new to the forum and thought you guys and gals might like to hear about my correspondence with Getrag, reference the Broncos 7 speed manual.

I saw a lot of speculation as to where the transmission would be built, so I emailed Getrag to ask directly where the trans will be built (honestly not expecting a reply). To my suprise, I got a response and they confirmed the transmission “is made in China (Nanchang) from our Joint Venture (GJT).”

To the folks who were planning on going 7 speed, like I am (or maybe was), how’s this news sit with you? I know it’s a new architecture from the mt82, an all new mt88, but still don’t know much about it. Anyone concerned about build quality / quality control with a Chinese built transmission?
Oh, goody. Me likely glind gear.

RubyRuin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco Getrag 7 speed manual built in China F9ACDE67-B6E9-40FA-8E27-4754A65ECBC6

OP
OP

AZ_Bronco

Base
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Base
Built in China vs built in USA means almost nothing on its own. Both countries turn out some great products, both countries turn out some crap products, and everything in between. Simply where it’s made doesn’t determine that. Plus it’s not like the auto isn’t going to have Chinese parts on it. Sure the transmission is put together here, but are all the pieces inside it made here? And what about the rest of the vehicle? Most “American Made” vehicles are less than 80% actually made in America, some way less(supposedly as low as 30% on some models even in recent years from all 3 American car brands). Japanese brands built in America use as much if not more American parts as the American companies now.
So simply that it’s made in China doesn’t bother me. It could be a crap transmission sure, it could also be a great transmission. But even a crap manual transmission is better than any auto to me.
Yeah I like your points, that’s the middle ground I think this manual will probably land in. Would it be better if it was USA made with USA parts? Of course. But does the country of origin make it crappy? Maybe, maybe not.

Another guy on this forum had an example of a tech company, maybe intel, who had QC issues at their Chinese factory with silicone wafers. The factory managers apparently used cheap HVAC air filters that couldn’t filter well enough and ruined the wafers. The culture in China is cost cutting, apparently.

I guess only time will tell.

robepa

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2006 Tacoma, 2020 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I work in consumer electronics, on a typical year I am in China 6-10 times. I have also worked in automotive in aftermarket and racing, opening a joint venture factory making automotive hypoid gears in Taiwan. I often have a different opinion than those I talk to about manufacturing locations.

I would much rather make things in the US, and I go where the market drives manufacturing not where I want to. Going to China with 15 hr flights and jet lag has long lost any newness, adventure or shine. Customers have to vote with their dollar, even with automation building CE products in the US is 50%-200% more expensive than low cost markets like China, Mexico, Vietnam, etc. (there are plenty of exceptions but its true for the majority of CE production).

It is a trope to say China has poor quality and the US has good quality, I have seen great and horrible quality in both places. Almost certainly the device you are viewing this on was made in China. The reality is great quality takes a ton of effort and determination no matter where it is built.

In the case of the gear factory we wanted to build it in the US, near some dams where hydropower is prevalent and cheap (gear making energy cost are high because of the heat treatment). We decided against it as the environmental review process around the phosphate costing was long, likely to be challenged in court and may not be successful. On the other side I would invite anyone who says the EPA should be abolished to come to Beijing in the middle of the winter, or drink the tap water anywhere in China.

Its a really complicated issue that has a lot more nuance than most give it IMO. Just my 2 cents.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@robepa It sounds like what you're saying is the manufacturing in the US would have been a better product, but the cost was too high?

It's like the saying, you can have it good, fast or cheap; pick two.

robepa

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2006 Tacoma, 2020 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@robepa It sounds like what you're saying is the manufacturing in the US would have been a better product, but the cost was too high?

It's like the saying, you can have it good, fast or cheap; pick two.
In my experience the location is an order of magnitude less important than the company culture and commitment to quality. Quality in China was a giant challenge 20 years ago, I would have never imagined that the best consumer drones in the world would not only be made, but also designed in China.

Not to get political but the reasons to manufacture domestically are not driven only by cost and quality. The free market decisions that consumers make do not always add up to what is best for the country or the market as a whole the way I see it.

In the case of the gear factory We judged that we could command a small premium by making them domestically, and frankly it would have been so much easier. We had the plant up and running in 18 months in Taiwan. We wouldn't have been through the environmental reviews and almost certain legally challenges in that time and ultimately we may have lost anyhow. And this is with state of the art pollution controls and meeting all environmental regulations. I don't want to live with dirty air and undrinkable water. As a friend of mine in China said when I asked him if locals drink the water "nobody is immune to heavy metals".

Mostly I love what I do but I often feel like a small gear in a big machines in this industry.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would imagine over 25 years a manual made in Kazakastan would hold up better than any slushbox.
As ubiquitous as CAD/CAM is today, execution is pretty SOP anywhere you go...it's all in the programming

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I just got a new 3/8" ratchet wrench from Jay-A-Pan (Nepros), it ran $138 and is superb build quality, materials, feel and packaging. (100% design, manufacturing and assembly in Japan)

It's replacing four Harbor Freight units which cost about $25 combined and are all functioning just fine, but they suck to use (re-purposed to the mobile tool bags in each of the classic cars).

The closest quality built American ratchet wrench I could find was Snap-on, proudly designed right here in Amuri-FREEDOM! and made in China from 100% Chinese sourced materials..... (will let that sink in the next time you think you're buying quality when putting the Snap-On guy's kids through their Ivy league college)

Bronco Sport is 100% Hencho en Mexico

Ranger is the most "American content" vehicle in America. Motors Hencho en Mexico.

Big Bronco is made in America and will tie for most American made content. Extended powertrain warranty is pennies on the dollar through the dealership, i'll be extending the powertrain to 5 or 7 years. Why? It's still the first model year for a brand new chassis, engine/trans pairing, and the entire driveline, so yea, 5/7 years of cost-free running sounds great! The only mods will be some tack-ons and tires, the rest gets beat Ford tough.

I have zero worries about specific components being build for Ford overseas. Why? My warranty is with Ford, not the PRC. If the vehicle gets more expensive to operate than it's worth, it gets sold. But i'll let Ford take the first few swift kicks to the testis. Why? Uh, because it's a modern vehicle. It is worth f-all from an emotional standpoint, it has all the class and prestige of a millennial at a vegan retreat center virtue signaling whatever their next woke moment.

Last edited:

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Old news, and not remotely a deterrent from ordering the stick for me.

Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
As with a lot of manuals, most of the problems are from people shifting way too hard or leaving their hand on the knob all the time. Ramming it into gear or thinking they are a racecar driver and shifting as fast as possible. This creates problems in the shifting forks or guide rods inside.

Take care of it, don't slam gears and I really think it'll outlast any auto ever made in the last 30 years.
Where does this myth come from about leaving your hand on the shifter wears out the transmission? I'm sorry, but I usually drive with my hand on the shifter; it needs to be there to shift (duh). I've driven well over a million manual transmission miles stacked up over several cars and five (5) being BMWs, which all have Getrag manuals in them. The BMW mileages are 257K, 192K, 80K (trans has 103K on it), 20K (trans has 120K on it), and 400K. Four of those five BMWs are still in the fleet; yes the 400K one is my main daily. I've never lost a trans yet. Oh, the the 400,000 miler (399,100 actually) has had only 3 oil changes lifetime (4th due next month when it hits 400K).

I think it's just internet myth. No flame meant.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I just got a new 3/8" ratchet wrench from Jay-A-Pan (Nepros), it ran $138 and is superb build quality, materials, feel and packaging. (100% design, manufacturing and assembly in Japan)

It's replacing four Harbor Freight units which cost about $25 combined and are all functioning just fine, but they suck to use (re-purposed to the mobile tool bags in each of the classic cars).

The closest quality built American ratchet wrench I could find was Snap-on, proudly designed right here in Amuri-FREEDOM! and made in China from 100% Chinese sourced materials..... (will let that sink in the next time you think you're buying quality when putting the Snap-On guy's kids through their Ivy league college)

Bronco Sport is 100% Hencho en Mexico

Ranger is the most "American content" vehicle in America. Motors Hencho en Mexico.

Big Bronco is made in America and will tie for most American made content. Extended powertrain warranty is pennies on the dollar through the dealership, i'll be extending the powertrain to 5 or 7 years. Why? It's still the first model year for a brand new chassis, engine/trans pairing, and the entire driveline, so yea, 5/7 years of cost-free running sounds great! The only mods will be some tack-ons and tires, the rest gets beat Ford tough.

I have zero worries about specific components being build for Ford overseas. Why? My warranty is with Ford, not the PRC. If the vehicle gets more expensive to operate than it's worth, it gets sold. But i'll let Ford take the first few swift kicks to the testis. Why? Uh, because it's a modern vehicle. It is worth f-all from an emotional standpoint, it has all the class and prestige of a millennial at a vegan retreat center virtue signaling whatever their next woke moment.
My 1987 Ford Ranger STX had a Brazilian-built 2.9L Colone V6 and Japanese-built 5-speed manual. World-sourced parts is nothing new. It'd be nice the drivetrain was US sourced, but it's not. The 2.3L Ecoboost is built in Spain from what I've found through my research.

I notice in the pic of the chassis, the disconnecting swaybar is sourced from France.

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hello,

I’m new to the forum and thought you guys and gals might like to hear about my correspondence with Getrag, reference the Broncos 7 speed manual.

I saw a lot of speculation as to where the transmission would be built, so I emailed Getrag to ask directly where the trans will be built (honestly not expecting a reply). To my suprise, I got a response and they confirmed the transmission “is made in China (Nanchang) from our Joint Venture (GJT).”

To the folks who were planning on going 7 speed, like I am (or maybe was), how’s this news sit with you? I know it’s a new architecture from the mt82, an all new mt88, but still don’t know much about it. Anyone concerned about build quality / quality control with a Chinese built transmission?
Really? Do you have any idea how many parts/wires/sensors are made there?

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
He got the Bronco, that’s the compromise ;)
Him: Honey, what would you think of a Bronco for our next car?

Her: What’s that?

Him: it’s like a Jeep, but made by Ford. It can climb mountains, swim rivers, dance across sand dunes, swing across vines and fly like Superman.

Her: only if it comes in blue.

Him: um, ok? Yeah, we can make that happen.

Winning, ver. 2020.
Sponsored