85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My 1987 Ford Ranger STX had a Brazilian-built 2.9L Colone V6 and Japanese-built 5-speed manual. World-sourced parts is nothing new. It'd be nice the drivetrain was US sourced, but it's not. The 2.3L Ecoboost is built in Spain from what I've found through my research.

I notice in the pic of the chassis, the disconnecting swaybar is sourced from France.
*Cologne V6 was designed in Cologne Germany, most of them were made there too.

I never tracked down what hole my 2.8 crawled out of...

The Ranger 2.3 is assembled at the Cleveland plant as far as I know. Most of the parts are made in Mexico, I would assume the Bronco would be similar?
Sponsored

Last edited:

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just got a new 3/8" ratchet wrench from Jay-A-Pan (Nepros), it ran $138 and is superb build quality, materials, feel and packaging. (100% design, manufacturing and assembly in Japan)

It's replacing four Harbor Freight units which cost about $25 combined and are all functioning just fine, but they suck to use (re-purposed to the mobile tool bags in each of the classic cars).

The closest quality built American ratchet wrench I could find was Snap-on, proudly designed right here in Amuri-FREEDOM! and made in China from 100% Chinese sourced materials..... (will let that sink in the next time you think you're buying quality when putting the Snap-On guy's kids through their Ivy league college)
Ratchets and sockets are made in Kenosha Wisconsin for sure. most "snappy" power tools are foreign.
Blue Point is their imported value line of tools.

CFC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee overland
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I personally don’t care where it’s made as long as it works .

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
As with a lot of manuals, most of the problems are from people shifting way too hard or leaving their hand on the knob all the time. Ramming it into gear or thinking they are a racecar driver and shifting as fast as possible. This creates problems in the shifting forks or guide rods inside.

Take care of it, don't slam gears and I really think it'll outlast any auto ever made in the last 30 years.
Where does this myth come from about leaving your hand on the shifter wears out the transmission? I'm sorry, but I usually drive with my hand on the shifter; it needs to be there to shift (duh). I've driven well over a million manual transmission miles stacked up over several cars and five (5) being BMWs, which all have Getrag manuals in them. The BMW mileages are 257K, 192K, 80K (trans has 103K on it), 20K (trans has 120K on it), and 400K. Four of those five BMWs are still in the fleet; yes the 400K one is my main daily. I've never lost a trans yet. Oh, the the 400,000 miler (399,100 actually) has had only 3 oil changes lifetime (4th due next month when it hits 400K).

I think it's just internet myth. No flame meant.
Making a wild guess that all your BMW's are 70's-90's cars. They are famous for having well synchronized gearing and also lock-out pins to prevent you from doing stupid things to your transmission.

Below is the shift box from my '51 Fleetline. Now, I get it, 1st gear isn't synchronized in this 3-on-the-tree vehicle, and this is a famous shift box for having to make absolutely square (ie: 90 degree) articulation of the shift lever without cutting corners or "hammer shifting" (forcing it into gear quickly), but this is the patented example of what happens when having metal components in a position other than that which they were designed to be in:

As you can see, the NOS shift box (top) has full housing walls, the dog sits square in the jaws and the jaws themselves are nice and toit like a toiger.

The bottom box has been hammer shifted and clearly had pressure on it most of the 23,000 miles of it's life (that's a decent replacement interval for post-war late 40's carry-over engineering, the 1950's cleared this up as metal became available for the first time in almost a decade). Notice the housing walls have worn down causing the jaws to be spread apart and the dog has rounded the jaw teeth.

Now, i'm lucky as hell to have found a NOS 1948 car shift box that sat on a parts room shelf for the past 82 years. Paid a pretty penny for it as well. Long story short, yes, forcing metal on metal contact will induce premature wear, EVEN if you're using Molykote (likely used in your Germanic rigs). I also swapped out all the chassis lube pictured for Molykote, but that's only going to extend the life, not solve the problem.

Ford Bronco Getrag 7 speed manual built in China shift box replacement

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

73.5% of the Tundra is made in Texas USA
I would that’s pretty damn good
Read the report, not even close to 15 other vehicles.

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just got a new 3/8" ratchet wrench from Jay-A-Pan (Nepros), it ran $138 and is superb build quality, materials, feel and packaging. (100% design, manufacturing and assembly in Japan)

It's replacing four Harbor Freight units which cost about $25 combined and are all functioning just fine, but they suck to use (re-purposed to the mobile tool bags in each of the classic cars).

The closest quality built American ratchet wrench I could find was Snap-on, proudly designed right here in Amuri-FREEDOM! and made in China from 100% Chinese sourced materials..... (will let that sink in the next time you think you're buying quality when putting the Snap-On guy's kids through their Ivy league college)

Bronco Sport is 100% Hencho en Mexico

Ranger is the most "American content" vehicle in America. Motors Hencho en Mexico.

Big Bronco is made in America and will tie for most American made content. Extended powertrain warranty is pennies on the dollar through the dealership, i'll be extending the powertrain to 5 or 7 years. Why? It's still the first model year for a brand new chassis, engine/trans pairing, and the entire driveline, so yea, 5/7 years of cost-free running sounds great! The only mods will be some tack-ons and tires, the rest gets beat Ford tough.

I have zero worries about specific components being build for Ford overseas. Why? My warranty is with Ford, not the PRC. If the vehicle gets more expensive to operate than it's worth, it gets sold. But i'll let Ford take the first few swift kicks to the testis. Why? Uh, because it's a modern vehicle. It is worth f-all from an emotional standpoint, it has all the class and prestige of a millennial at a vegan retreat center virtue signaling whatever their next woke moment.
Kind of a soft point for me...
Blue point line of snap on wrenches,wratchets, sockets...hard tools if you will is Chinese. Snap on labeled units are made in the USA. Wifes dad has owned a large franchise for 40+yrs. I have even been to several conventions and seen the videos of the us forging and machine shops. The cost for actual snap on labeled tools is in part for being made in the US. Blue point is China. The other cost point is the tool guy comes to you and the number of specialty tools.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Where does this myth come from about leaving your hand on the shifter wears out the transmission? I'm sorry, but I usually drive with my hand on the shifter; it needs to be there to shift (duh). I've driven well over a million manual transmission miles stacked up over several cars and five (5) being BMWs, which all have Getrag manuals in them. The BMW mileages are 257K, 192K, 80K (trans has 103K on it), 20K (trans has 120K on it), and 400K. Four of those five BMWs are still in the fleet; yes the 400K one is my main daily. I've never lost a trans yet. Oh, the the 400,000 miler (399,100 actually) has had only 3 oil changes lifetime (4th due next month when it hits 400K).

I think it's just internet myth. No flame meant.

It's not myth, but it's a very low percentage type thing. Some transmissions have softer synchronizers that might have increased wear if you apply a fair amount of pressure on the shifter while driving long term. Not likely to ever be a problem for most people, but a few people might have issues. Just leaving your hand on the shifter without applying a lot of pressure is not an issue.

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m not happy about it either but I’m going with the manual so I have to deal with it. I’d hope if something fails or breaks, it’d be covered under warrant.

Sponsored

Bronco_Mando

Badlands
First Name
Mando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Ranger; MDX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a question regarding the Manual Sasquatch package: what’s the reason for the late availability?? Is the transmission the weak link???
If so, there will be two manual transmissions: one for non Sasquatch and one Sasquatch?
Clearly not the case with the 10 speed auto.
Thoughts?

Bestdayever

Base
First Name
- -Soupbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor.. Boss302..Edge Sport..Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Base

I

Oh really? I was with SNAPON for 17 years in sales and management. I have toured all U.S. factories. I helped put the girls through State Colleges.
What tools are still made in the USA by Snap-On?
  • Wrenches
  • Screwdrivers
  • Ratchets
  • Roll Cabs for Tool Storage
  • Sandblasters
What tools have Snap-On started to make outside the US?
  • Welding Helmets – China
  • Cordless Screwdriver Kit – China
  • Gas Torches – Ireland
  • Welding Helmets – China
  • Safety Gloves – China
  • Air Compressors – Canada and China

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Whatever my next vehicle is, I want it American made as much as possible, that's one of my reasons for getting a new vehicle. I wont buy any new vehicle with a foreign made major part. If it turns out the Bronco auto trans is also foriegn made, I won't be getting a Bronco.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@GABAR I wasn't saying it was built in the same factory. I was saying it was the same transmission. I felt it was so obviously mis-stated as to be funny, an intentional gaff, if you will. It was tongue-in-cheek, hilarity due to its absolute inability to be remotely true, idiocy, so false a statement that someone might take it immediately as a joke; facetious, flippant or glib. You know?
Sponsored