Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hello,

I’m new to the forum and thought you guys and gals might like to hear about my correspondence with Getrag, reference the Broncos 7 speed manual.

I saw a lot of speculation as to where the transmission would be built, so I emailed Getrag to ask directly where the trans will be built (honestly not expecting a reply). To my suprise, I got a response and they confirmed the transmission “is made in China (Nanchang) from our Joint Venture (GJT).”

To the folks who were planning on going 7 speed, like I am (or maybe was), how’s this news sit with you? I know it’s a new architecture from the mt82, an all new mt88, but still don’t know much about it. Anyone concerned about build quality / quality control with a Chinese built transmission?
Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It is what it is. If I want a Bronco with manual trans, which I do, then I'll accept where it is made. I wish it was made in the PNW, but it isn't so I'll pay my money and be as happy as I can be knowing it's probably going to blow up and leave me stranded, eight miles outside of the warranty expiration period (j/k). They make the transmission for the Ford GT, probably same unit.

RubyRuin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm in the same mindset as @damarble. Worse case scenario, it sucks and someone will find a substitute Tremec that can be used with a custom bellhousing and driveshaft. Regardless, the manual transmission is the only reason why I'm still in this race.

toughtoaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So long as it’s better than the MT-82 and they actually do some quality control on it then it’s fine and is what it is.

I have the MT-82 in my mustang and it was replaced with an extended warranty not because it blew up but because it was making a weird chattering noise on deceleration and only went away when in reverse, 5th, or clutch in. Didn’t seem to impact performance at the time and was just all noise but it was a concerning one so I figured I’d put the extended warranty to use because that’s what it’s for.

No issues with the new one besides the typical 1st to 2nd cold shift that is extremely notchy until the trans fluid is warmed up.

Sponsored

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not a fan of it being made in China, we need good paying manufacturing jobs here. I wanted the manual, wife wanted the automatic. We compromised and are getting the automatic. She does not need to know that it's required with the 2.7 and Squatch anyway...:rolleyes: ... I wanted red, she wanted blue, we compromised and are getting blue (AMB)

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
....I wanted the manual, wife wanted the automatic. We compromised and are getting the automatic. She does not need to know that it's required with the 2.7 and Squatch anyway...:rolleyes: ... I wanted red, she wanted blue, we compromised and are getting blue (AMB)
Way to stick to your guns!! :LOL:

jaspercasidino

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ohhhh manual vs American made! Quite a pickle for some!

Sponsored

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
I already assumed it was, otherwise Ford would have promoted it better. I'm fine with it. Changes nothing

AMK610

Big Bend
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It doesn’t bother me, they’re going to be built knowing it has to handle a lot of torque, heavy weight and big tires. It’ll be strong. It’d be great to be American made but at the end of the day I’m not going to hold off on it simply because it’s made in China. If I always did that I wouldn’t own a darn thing

crowdpleazer

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Base
As with a lot of manuals, most of the problems are from people shifting way too hard or leaving their hand on the knob all the time. Ramming it into gear or thinking they are a racecar driver and shifting as fast as possible. This creates problems in the shifting forks or guide rods inside.

Take care of it, don't slam gears and I really think it'll outlast any auto ever made in the last 30 years.
Sponsored