Sponsored

How do you plan to mount your Hi Lift jack?

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can make a Hi-Lift any size you want, I took a Reese Tow Power (Farm Jack, Handyman, whatever) 48" that I already had and cut the lifting bar and handle so it to fit perfectly standing up in the back, than ran a bolt into an existing hole in the side of the rollbar to hold it in place. total height of the jack is just under 40", Which will also lay across the floor if you wanted to .
Sponsored

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

now I'm curious, I've read and seen videos several times where it was stated that a HigLift is not very useful with the Bronco, since there are no points or not enough lift points (or what the area is called where you'd put it to lift the rig) on the Bronco, contrary to the Jeep. Maybe because of the bulging doors or something, can't quite remember, but I took it off my list of things to have and figured I'll just get a good bottle jack, easier to store too, and a hand winch/come along for winching, works a lot easier than a HighLift used for that purpose.
Around here I see mostly bright red ones on 'safari jeeps' with not a scratch on them or the rig, LOL. Got them for that 'tough guy' look I guess.

Anyway, are there videos that show how to use this with the Bronco? I saw one I can't find anymore where they explained that without mods or extra parts you can get, it's not a very useful jack on the Bronco. Anyone here used it yet?

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

now I'm curious, I've read and seen videos several times where it was stated that a HigLift is not very useful with the Bronco, since there are no points or not enough lift points (or what the area is called where you'd put it to lift the rig) on the Bronco, contrary to the Jeep. Maybe because of the bulging doors or something, can't quite remember, but I took it off my list of things to have and figured I'll just get a good bottle jack, easier to store too, and a hand winch/come along for winching, works a lot easier than a HighLift used for that purpose.
Around here I see mostly bright red ones on 'safari jeeps' with not a scratch on them or the rig, LOL. Got them for that 'tough guy' look I guess.

Anyway, are there videos that show how to use this with the Bronco? I saw one I can't find anymore where they explained that without mods or extra parts you can get, it's not a very useful jack on the Bronco. Anyone here used it yet?
Lack of jacking points is a problem, the Hi Lift Lift Mate allows lifting from a spoked wheel:
Ford Bronco How do you plan to mount your Hi Lift jack? 1643824945568

A bottle jack (or factory screw jack) is definitely a better solution for changing a tire, but the handyman is for getting unstuck.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lack of jacking points is a problem, the Hi Lift Lift Mate allows lifting from a spoked wheel:
Ford Bronco How do you plan to mount your Hi Lift jack? 1643824945568

A bottle jack (or factory screw jack) is definitely a better solution for changing a tire, but the handyman is for getting unstuck.
I've seen those, doesn't help much if you want to change that wheel though.

As for getting unstuck, you mean using it as a winch/come along? That's where I plan to just have one of those when I go out, not expensive and seem easier to use (for just winching) than a highlift. Safer too.

I do like the highlifts for the old tool that's been around for ever thing and they do look cool, but if you can't lift the Bronco to change a flat - which is most likely what I'd use it most for - it's useless.

New to these things, so thanks for the input!

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've seen those, doesn't help much if you want to change that wheel though.

As for getting unstuck, you mean using it as a winch/come along? That's where I plan to just have one of those when I go out, not expensive and seem easier to use (for just winching) than a highlift. Safer too.

I do like the highlifts for the old tool that's been around for ever thing and they do look cool, but if you can't lift the Bronco to change a flat - which is most likely what I'd use it most for - it's useless.

New to these things, so thanks for the input!
I would never change a tire using a Hi Lift, things get too wobbly when the rig is lifted high enough to relieve suspension and lift a tire. Use a bottle jack or screw jack on an axle or frame.

Usually when I'm stuck it's due to being hung up on a rock or rut. Raise the wheel with a Hi Lift then jam a bunch of rocks/logs under until your off the obstruction. Or (advanced technique use caution) jack it up real high then push the vehicle off to get out of rut or off rock.

And although a High Lift can be used as a come along its a PITA. Requires two chains, a nearby anchor point and results in a very short pull. But it can be done.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would never change a tire using a Hi Lift, things get too wobbly when the rig is lifted high enough to relieve suspension and lift a tire. Use a bottle jack or screw jack on an axle or frame.

Usually when I'm stuck it's due to being hung up on a rock or rut. Raise the wheel with a Hi Lift then jam a bunch of rocks/logs under until your off the obstruction. Or (advanced technique use caution) jack it up real high then push the vehicle off to get out of rut or off rock.

And although a High Lift can be used as a come along its a PITA. Requires two chains, a nearby anchor point and results in a very short pull. But it can be done.
great info, thanks! I'll get me a nice bottle jack instead.

T-roy

Base
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Base 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I chained one to the stop sign by the mall, public use.

SevenT

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 U15 Sport Edition; 2021 AMB 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine is currently behind the back seats in a canvas bag. I strap everything down when I leave the pavement so it does not become a missile.

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In my teens and early 20’s I drove a 2 wheel drive truck all over NV and I lost track of the number of times I used a Handyman as described, especially the jack and push method, to get me unstuck. I’m dating myself but that was a 1975 Ford half ton with heavy bumpers on the front and back which were perfect for a Hi-Lift.

I never found the jack dangerous and never had a close call but my Dad beat it into our heads how dangerous they could be so my brother and I were always super careful and always made sure we had a quick place to jump out of the way of the jack and the truck If things went unexpectedly sideways. We also make sure we always keep both hands on the jack, one at the top and one on the handle. The hand on the handle never leaves the handle and I normally try to trio the release with my foot so I don’t have to let go of the top. I’ve been carrying that same jack in the bed of my last three trucks and it hasn’t been used for years except to pull hundreds of T-posts. I really don’t know where I’d use it on my truck since there’s not a single jacking point.

All that said, I’ll definitely be getting another for the Bronco and I’ve already got a JCR front bumper on order and it’s got Hi-Lift jack points while the rear recovery points on the Badlands should work from what I can tell.

I‘m not 100% sure where I’m going to store it but Plan A is under a raised deck in the back of my 2 door with the rear seats removed. If it won’t fit there then it’ll probably go up on the roof rack when I head out to the trail.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

In my teens and early 20’s I drove a 2 wheel drive truck all over NV and I lost track of the number of times I used a Handyman as described, especially the jack and push method, to get me unstuck. I’m dating myself but that was a 1975 Ford half ton with heavy bumpers on the front and back which were perfect for a Hi-Lift.

I never found the jack dangerous and never had a close call but my Dad beat it into our heads how dangerous they could be so my brother and I were always super careful and always made sure we had a quick place to jump out of the way of the jack and the truck If things went unexpectedly sideways. We also make sure we always keep both hands on the jack, one at the top and one on the handle. The hand on the handle never leaves the handle and I normally try to trio the release with my foot so I don’t have to let go of the top. I’ve been carrying that same jack in the bed of my last three trucks and it hasn’t been used for years except to pull hundreds of T-posts. I really don’t know where I’d use it on my truck since there’s not a single jacking point.

All that said, I’ll definitely be getting another for the Bronco and I’ve already got a JCR front bumper on order and it’s got Hi-Lift jack points while the rear recovery points on the Badlands should work from what I can tell.

I‘m not 100% sure where I’m going to store it but Plan A is under a raised deck in the back of my 2 door with the rear seats removed. If it won’t fit there then it’ll probably go up on the roof rack when I head out to the trail.
Wisdom of the ages sir. I instilled in my son the importance of situational awareness when using a handyman. Keep hands on, identify escape route, watch the pins and always assume it's gonna fall. I bought a lift mate for mine, allows use on a spoked wheel and maybe tow hooks. And, as you probably know, a handyman can be inserted in 2" receiver, at least with the tailgate open

I've been carrying this one since my old '67 F100

Ford Bronco How do you plan to mount your Hi Lift jack? thumbnail (18)
Ford Bronco How do you plan to mount your Hi Lift jack? bloomfield-hi-lift-lift-mate-1029621-1

Last edited:

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Here's my setup...super easy and outta the way...was able to use the pre-existing bronco holes that are present on the 2drs roll bar. (Uncertain of 4 dr)...sturdy bolts and rubber bushings to keep vibration and noise to a minimum. Big wing nuts for easy access. Yep the top fits fine and has plenty of clearance on the sides and top.

I keep the jack plate, tire hook and wide pad all under the seat.

Ford Bronco How do you plan to mount your Hi Lift jack? 20220207_180217

Ford Bronco How do you plan to mount your Hi Lift jack? 20220207_180146

Ford Bronco How do you plan to mount your Hi Lift jack? 20220207_180125

Ford Bronco How do you plan to mount your Hi Lift jack? 20220207_180111

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP never mentioned pulling things a few feet.

" given up on a winch" was his sentiment.

OP has not even replied again.

OP has not seemingly operated a high lift, from vernacular used. A high lift is a shit jack, and a shit winch. It has uses, but its not the easiest or safest for inexperienced personnel.
Pulling out fence posts is a good use, that's about it for me though.

I carried one for decades, complete waste of time as a winch and a shady jack unless conditions are nearly perfect. And that's with EB's, LC's and Jeeps from the '60's and 70's where they actually had somewhat decent bumpers.

Where would you even jack from on a Gen 6? I guess they now probably make all sorts of color coordinated brackets???? More stuff to pack into your 4 door, LOL.

I think part of it has to do with location as well. In Michigan's UP often the ground is so soft you need a huge foot to even get it to lift. I can see out west or in rocky conditions they would work better as a jack. I've used H/L's to push many logs into the ground when trying to lift 4x4's.

Last edited:

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The jack failed or the person using the jack failed to use it properly?

The latter is what you usually see.
In my case when using it as winch, the loop on the top failed. Pulling a '67 Bronco out of a mud hole with chain while all my buddies sat there drinking beer laughing at me.

That little loop let go with about zero force on it. This was an old school H/L from the 70's.

I was 16 or 17 when I realized they're not winches! Unless you consider pulling about 6 inches after all the slack comes out of the chain. And you better be using a chain, straps will just stretch and you'll go nowhere.

I do get a chuckle out of seeing them all painted up in matching colors on the Jeeps though!
Sponsored