Sponsored

How's the Bronco windshield holding up against rocks?

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Had a nice backroads drive yesterday. When I got back on the freeway, twice I had stones from my Goodyears come off the front wheels and come bouncing up into the windshield!
No damage but DAMN!
Sponsored

D190065

First Edition
First Name
Danno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco FE; 2015 HD RGS; 23 F150 Tremor ordered
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Does FL not mandate auto insurance companies to allot one free windshield replacement per year? That's how it was when I lived there.
Florida has a Windshield law that requires insurance companies to fix (i.e. repair or replace) damaged windshields with no deductible. However, you have to have comprehensive insurance coverage. I have no heard of a limit on how many repairs.

CyberOrangeBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So whatā€˜s the solution to prevent this? Some sort of hood guard/deflector?

Wolfeman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

On my way back from the Nevada Off-Roadeo, a rock flew into my windshield. I will probably just get it filled.
Do it sooner rather than later. I had a chip on my F150 that I put off for about 7 days. Came out to the truck after work one day and it had spread across the entire windshield and cost me about $700 or so to replace the entire windshield vs much less to just repair the chip.

OP
OP
KReich64

KReich64

Wildtrak
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I just had mine replaced (900 miles). Safelight originally brought out an aftermarket windshield and I told them "NO". Had to reschedule to get an OEM. When you get a crack and need replacement, make sure you ask for OEM (if you have factory etchings). I have a FE and no way were they were putting a plain one on (w/o original markings).
Safelite has the same option for Jeeps, as there is a little Jeep in the lower right corner of the windshield. Since I used to pay out of pocket for the glass up north, that was a killer, but now that I am in Florida with different insurance laws, it should be less painful. Always specify OEM parts and protect your investment.

Sponsored
OP
OP
KReich64

KReich64

Wildtrak
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Do it sooner rather than later. I had a chip on my F150 that I put off for about 7 days. Came out to the truck after work one day and it had spread across the entire windshield and cost me about $700 or so to replace the entire windshield vs much less to just repair the chip.
Exactly. I now carry a chip repair kit for this very reason. The Safelite repair is way better, but it works in a pinch.

MDbeachguy

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Had a nice backroads drive yesterday. When I got back on the freeway, twice I had stones from my Goodyears come off the front wheels and come bouncing up into the windshield!
No damage but DAMN!
how did your front tires throw rocks at the windshield?

blsbikes2

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
One our our other Arizonans referred to windshields in Arizona as "disposable" since we are having to replace them so often.

I always carry zero deductible on glass replacement like most Arizonans. If you are worried about all the chips, just ask your insurance agent to put in zero deductible on the glass.
Why so many issues in AZ? I assume these are mostly highway chips. Drove my last Tundra for 12.5 years and no issues. Current Tundra is 7 years old and no chips.

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Why so many issues in AZ? I assume these are mostly highway chips. Drove my last Tundra for 12.5 years and no issues. Current Tundra is 7 years old and no chips.
Example: Every day I drive to work along a road that has "landscaping" on the sides and in the median that is comprised of a few palo verde trees, a bunch of cacti and agavi, all on a bed of loose rock.

Pretty hard to drive that route every day and not end up getting a few rock chips in the windshield.

Most of the natural landscape has a lot loose rock, too. So it's just something you come to accept... Kind of like where I grew up, cars get rusty. You don't have that problem here, but you will have a lot of chipped windshields and "Arizona pinstriping" just from little rocks hitting your vehicle. šŸ˜šŸ˜

Sponsored

SmartyJones

Black Diamond
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota 4Runner Trd Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The weekend we took delivery we went on a road trip. About 130 miles on the odometer and we had our 1st chip

Evolkidbell

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

300 miles and 8 days of ownership. 1st time on the freeway.
Got a chip/spider and tried to schedule a Safelite fill, but was unavailable for 4 weeks.
Day before I tried to get it filled, the thing ran....

No windshields available at the time. 3-6 months out. This was back in August.
Just got a call that they can now order from a dealer.

SilverBullets

Outer Banks
First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Porsche Cayman S
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Iā€™m on my second windshield currently and it is now cracked again. Iā€™m in AZ where itā€™s very common to get chips and cracks but with the upright windshield on the bronco, I imagine going through windshields every 3 months, rather than every year
Im in phoenix, rock chips are part of life in Arizona lol. I got one on the windshield of the bronco on the drive home after taking delivery. It didn't crack, just chipped.

I have 3 cars, all 3 have some form of chip/small crack right now. My Cayman has a fingernail/crescent moon type of crack which hasnt grown, the bronco has a small chip and my macan has a crack. Fun stuff

bkfit

Base
First Name
BK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I just had mine replaced (900 miles). Safelight originally brought out an aftermarket windshield and I told them "NO". Had to reschedule to get an OEM. When you get a crack and need replacement, make sure you ask for OEM (if you have factory etchings). I have a FE and no way were they were putting a plain one on (w/o original markings).
Fyi. OEM windshield is from China.

Last Ride Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan pup
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Iā€™ve previously stated the following on another similar thread, but Iā€™m a believer in the ExoShield film. I do have insurance, but I am willing to pay extra for the chips not to happen in the first place. I have been, ā€œpopped ā€œ by rock 3 or 4 times and no damage. Film is $375, but I donā€™t have to worry when I drive. If it does get cracked, ExoShield pays for replacement and doesnā€™t flag me on insurance. Xpel installers usually also carry and install ExoShield.
Sponsored