First Name
Düåvé
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Not trying to start a climate change debate...
So I am stoked about the Bronco. It was the first car in a long time that made me consider swapping out my Subaru. I found a lot of cars recently follow the same bland look and the Bronco checks all the boxes for me from a design standpoint. For practicality reasons I need the 4 door as I am the usual driver of people and stuff for holiday, ski, beach, etc trips. I never forgot that the Bronco being a box on wheels and thus never going to be great on gas but this extended wait time has allowed me to continually contemplate the responsibility of driving said box 45min to work each way on top of trips. I know EVs have their own environmental impacts but it does feel selfish to DD a Bronco while it largely isn't being used off road. Any one else have this internal debate? How are you wrestling with this?
Sponsored

Panaran

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CX5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So I am stoked about the Bronco. It was the first car in a long time that made me consider swapping out my Subaru. I found a lot of cars recently follow the same bland look and the Bronco checks all the boxes for me from a design standpoint. For practicality reasons I need the 4 door as I am the usual driver of people and stuff for holiday, ski, beach, etc trips. I never forgot that the Bronco being a box on wheels and thus never going to be great on gas but this extended wait time has allowed me to continually contemplate the responsibility of driving said box 45min to work each way on top of trips. I know EVs have their own environmental impacts but it does feel selfish to DD a Bronco while it largely isn't being used off road. Any one else have this internal debate? How are you wrestling with this?
I understand your POV, and I share a similar one. However, I sleep better at night knowing that with all the pollution the top polluting corporations/industries put out ever year, what I drive really makes zero difference in the grand scheme of things. If every single driver in the US went EV, then maybe that would matter more. But a long as these industry giants are doing there thing, honestly it doesn't even matter what the rest of us do.

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My Bronco gets about the same or maybe a little better fuel economy than my R32. So it's a lateral move for me. My R32 however, only likes 91+ octane. So ultimately, its a bit more costly to run. I wouldn't worry about it too much. The Bronco is so much fun to drive, it offsets the cost.

mmcsween21

Base
First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I just recently ordered my Bronco, and i'm having the same thoughts. Currently driving an Escape Hybrid, and will be going to the Bronco next year when its delivered. I kind of view it as this, if other areas of your life are doing the right thing, then driving the car is an ok trade off. Its not that different from other SUVs on the road, or the billions of kids that destroy nature with their trash and crap they leave everywhere. Just be conscious in what you do and it's all good. Appreciate the conversations on here!!

Laurensimms7

Outer Banks
First Name
Lauren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I just placed my order a couple days ago and the Bronco will be my daily whenever it comes in. We will be starting a family soon and will have babies in the back. 4 dr OBX, cactus gray, 2.7l, high pkg, leather trim seats. Heres how we landed here:
Im a Female with a career in Real Estate. I currently drive a 2016 Ford Fusion Titanum, and while its great for getting around, and is comfortable enough, but it is boring. My husband and I started the conversation on getting me an SUV to plan for a family, and because we are both sick of the fusion. (He daily drives a 2005 Cummins). We started researching SUVs and literally all of them bored me. I crave a more aggressive look with more hp than most family cars provide. So we ended up narrowing it down to a new Chevy Blazer RS and the Ford Explorer ST. The Blazer was alright, it was a better option than other “mom” cars out there, but Im more attracted to the Ford look. The Explorer was super comfortable, peppy at 400 hp, but I really dont need a 3rd row, and tend to be pretty minimalist so the extra space stressed me out. We walked around a carmax lot to get ideas and the had the Bronco Sport there. I thought it was cute, but the back seat was tiny and the engine options were less than impressive. So we found a 4 dr Big Bronco at a local dealer, test drove it, and it was love. I also questioned whether it was a good option from a practicality standpoint. Then, I started picturing driving this thing around to the grocery store, work, ect and it literally made me smile. Couldnt say the same about the other options. Im okay with spending a little bit more on gas for the pure joy it brought to be in that vehicle. If you spend a lot of time in your car, I think its worth something to make a “fun” decision for once just to spice up your daily tasks. Just my 2 cents with the back story to help with perspective 😊

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

HarderCorer

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm with you, both from an environmental point and just from a basic cost point. Driving a Bronco vs something way more fuel efficient is (some quick napkin math, say a gallon each way, 10 gallons a week, 500 gallons a year at $3 so ~$1500 a year) a bit of money, almost cell phone bill money.

If I didn't live 8 miles from where I work, it would definitely be a consideration.
🤷‍♂️

BC overlanding

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Stop drinking the Kool aid. You tell me how a battery that is mined from the ground by large non EV vehicles. Batteries only last 10yrs max then what the battery doesn't just vanish ie batteries setting in land filled, don't get me started on the hazardous materials in the batteries and where do you think the electric that charges your battery comes from. Before anyone says wind or solar check out why CA has roiling brown out. short answer not enough wind and solar to supply demand. My opinion but what do I know

other option in perfect world, my plan if I can wing it financially
Bronco dedicated off road rig

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Way overthinking it. Get a vehicle that fits YOUR needs and don't worry about accommodating others. You want a 2DR, get a 2DR. You want to drive an SUV on pavement 90% of the time, just like 99% of all the other SUVs, do it. When it no longer fits your needs, sell it. This isn't a marriage. Live life. Enjoy life. Don't overthink the small stuff.

Sponsored

Cornbred

Raptor
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 F-250/Edge, 14 F150,202? Bronco Base/Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
My F250 gets 11mpg and I love it.

Get a F150 hybrid powerboost , absolute best thing on the market hands down. 700-800 miles with a 7.2kw generator. I’m just pissed Ford hasnt put it in a Super Duty (7.2kw generator, not the eco boost lol).

I honestly can’t believe you people waist your time worrying about such things, you have zero impact on this planet. Stop reading BS from people who want to control you, live damnit!!

Last edited:

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If worrying about the environment doesn’t keep Al Gore from daily driving his private jet, why should I worry about 20mpg in my vehicle?
The bigger question is will you be able to afford the gas.

Big Blue 1

Base
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I drive mine 100 miles a day.

phocion

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

EV's aren't magically clean. They are as clean as your electricity source, which could very well be fossil fuels. And then there's the electricity that is lost in transmission between the plant and your vehicle.

Bronco won't be winning any environmental awards, but if your trepidation is about carbon dioxide emissions rather than the cost of gas, the difference between different car models is minor in the grand scheme of your life, especially if you ever fly.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.