Sponsored

If Ford offered a 2DR Factory soft top for faster delivery, would you take it?

If Ford offered a 2DR Factory soft top for faster delivery, would you take it?

• Yes

• Yes - as long as it's not the fastback

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think they made 100 over 2 shifts yesterday. ZERO were acceptable
Anyone really know what the process to make these MIC tops involves, such that they couldn't get any right, if that information is correct? That seems crazy and intolerable by management at this stage.

Is there that much hands on employee work that they can't be consistent or something? I figured the process would be more machine oriented.
Sponsored

OP
OP
pony2bronco

pony2bronco

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Sitting at 118 votes now it looks like 50% would take a soft top. With MIC shortage and all of the 2DR soft tops running around on preproductions that work, it seems like it would be a good idea for Ford to allow the option and mitigate some of the clusterf*$k

WyoBronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2021 Bronco BB, 2006 Saturn Vue
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Come on people, join today's real world. For what ever reason, plastics are becoming very difficult to obtain. Since February '21, Deere has told their dealers to expect long wait times for plastic parts and anything electrical. Resins are hard to get and their are to many places that haven't/won't go back to work. Suppliers of all parts are struggling right now to supply demand. If Ford was to change suppliers mid stream, regardless whether a newbie was better or worse, it would be 6 months to a year before they could ramp up and make something. Ford's communication has not been as good as it could be but do any of you really think that anyone at Ford thinks it is their best interest to piss off their customers. NO. They are as unhappy about this as we are. Ford was going to intro the Bronco 3/20/20 in Sun Valley, Id. COVID hit there that week and everywhere else and guess what. Things changed big time. Don't feel so entitled and just hope that people go back to work. When things return to normal I will get my early res Bronco and be happy. Yes, I would be happier if I had it now but oh well.
[/QUOTE
That May all very well be true regarding resource acquisition, but there seems to the implication that it’s not a resource (plastic) availability issue, but rather an issue with Webasto throwing said resources onto the proverbial scrap heap by cranking out defective MIC tops at a record pace., shift after shift. I cant imagine that being true, but that’s become part of the discussion.

1st4rd

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crosstrek, Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With MIC shortage pushing every 2DR to the far back of the list, I'm curious about this.
If you look at the first week of production in May, about 1/3 of all Broncos produced were 2 doors and 70% were hardtop builds (mix of 2 and 4 doors) The hardtop is not stopping all production - demand is outstripping supply to some unknown degree.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Why wouldn’t they make a few, check serviceability, then either proceed if they’re good or halt production if they’re bad.
I've read on here its largely CAM/robotics. With that process it can be quite difficult to get the programming finalized - but damn, this cake has been baking for quite awhile now

Sponsored

WyoBronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Come on people, join today's real world. For what ever reason, plastics are becoming very difficult to obtain. Since February '21, Deere has told their dealers to expect long wait times for plastic parts and anything electrical. Resins are hard to get and their are to many places that haven't/won't go back to work. Suppliers of all parts are struggling right now to supply demand. If Ford was to change suppliers mid stream, regardless whether a newbie was better or worse, it would be 6 months to a year before they could ramp up and make something. Ford's communication has not been as good as it could be but do any of you really think that anyone at Ford thinks it is their best interest to piss off their customers. NO. They are as unhappy about this as we are. Ford was going to intro the Bronco 3/20/20 in Sun Valley, Id. COVID hit there that week and everywhere else and guess what. Things changed big time. Don't feel so entitled and just hope that people go back to work. When things return to normal I will get my early res Bronco and be happy. Yes, I would be happier if I had it now but oh well.
That May all very well be true regarding resource acquisition, but there seems to the implication that it’s not a resource (plastic) availability issue, but rather an issue with Webasto throwing said resources onto the proverbial scrap heap by cranking out defective MIC tops at a record pace., shift after shift. I cant imagine that being true, but that’s become part of the discussion.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's hard tops in general, posted all over and quoted all over the bronco news. See the dealer posts here that redline the MIC top deliveries and push the soft top reservations to the front.

The issue with the 2DR is that there is no soft top option to mitigate the MIC shortage, not so much an issue specific to 2DR MIC tops. I just wanted to get a feel for how people would respond to the option of a soft top to help solve resource scarcity. Personally I'd go for it, maybe buy the mod top a while later when available (and the $15? connector that people are super concerned about). I just hate the fastback... I'd probably still take it with that though.
The connector(s) is not a major concern.
The controls could be if not included.

Where are the controls and how easily can they be added?
New wiper stalk and harness required?
Dash switch?
Is it cut out for the switch with a filler panel?

This us why "Include the controls" is a thing.

It could easily be a much bigger nightmare than you realize. Especially considering how newer vehicles run EVERYTHING through a BCM, body controls module (or similar acronym - BCU etc).

Sheerhere

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2dr OBX 2.7; Toyota 4Runner V8
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
In a minute I'd take a soft top and kick my hard top down the road until they get it right. I want high quality with no leaks, rattles or any other defects.

I'm an early Day 1 reservation with a week of June 28 build date. 2 door OBX with towing, rear locker and high package. A few of the deadly sins, yes, but I have not been bumped yet.

I'm not is a rush for the vehicle, but it would be a nice gift if it arrives this summer. Until then I'll motor on in my Wrangler.

Bert20000

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For 4dr I’d take a soft top that is wired for a MIC. And MIC at cost when available.

WyoBronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've read on here its largely CAM/robotics. With that process it can be quite difficult to get the programming finalized - but damn, this cake has been baking for quite awhile now
I have no doubt that that’s the technology being used......but still, to crank out a 100 defective tops, over the course of 2 shifts like some modern-day out of control Lucille Ball chocolate candy conveyor belt without a human, or computer, at some point (let’s say and the end of the 1st shift) intervening in that exercise in futility seems unfathomable.

Sponsored

Td66

Wildtrak
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 runner, 2 Mazda 3s
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well, it must be an age thing, I can wait a long time for a complete and correct functioning Bronco. As for a soft top, I park at a University and a hospital; not all who visit are students, patients, and/or faculty. Too many people walk by my vehicles to be an easy target for crime.
To each their own. Maybe if enough people choose a soft top, production of the hard tops may catch up to demand. Assuming, those who opt for a soft top, would be pushed to back of line for delivery of just the hardtops post Bronco purchase and delivery.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
like some modern-day out of control Lucille Ball chocolate candy conveyor belt
I've gone back & reread all the forum posts from 2016 forward. :) The early focus of complaints was V8 & MT....but TOPS must account for >80% of the total:
  • MIC color too light
  • No White tops
  • MOD not available
  • Will there even BE tops available?

But you are the first to mention LUCY.

Congratulations Webasto!!!

BRBUSTER72

Black Diamond
First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 XTERRA '16 SUPER DUTY '18 EQUINOX DIESEL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Unfortunately, build quality could be some or all of the issue. That may be something they don't want to communicate because people may equate that to the whole vehicle. As far as soft tops, for me it's hard top or I'll wait, not soft top for me. About the wiring issue, I didn't ask when I saw a BD 4dr here in Idaho but it had a soft top and was wired for the MIC. Maybe it was spec'ed for a dual top, don't know but wouldn't think it would add a great deal of expense when building to include it in all builds to increase future customizing. A soft top option for 2dr makes more sense to me than a soft top standard for 4dr's.

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think they made 100 over 2 shifts yesterday. ZERO were acceptable
And how do you know this info? Or are you just making it up as you go?

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I want a soft top, as long as it isn't the fastback.
Sponsored