Sponsored

Is anyone else cancelling and getting the F150 Lightning?

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hydrogen has been the fuel of the future for decades, always promising to deliver huge benefits in about five years' time.
The infrastructure alone for fueling everyday users is staggering.
The fact that there's a nationwide network of EV (super)chargers that allows any EV to make it from one coast to the other fairly easily, and no hydrogen gas stations should sum it up pretty well.

Hydrogen *IS* cool, but without the supporting infrastructure, it's dead.
Sponsored

asurfer11

Badlands
First Name
ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 africa twin
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really hope you’re just goofing with that Santa Cruz... There’s another vehicle that makes just as much power as the 2.3, tows 7500lbs, and has a fully boxed frame. On top of that’s been out for 2 years and you can buy one today. Even comes in the same colors as the Bronco!

It’s called the Ranger.
Yes! I appreciate you. Thanks for reminding me of the ranger.

Ecobeast

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes! I appreciate you. Thanks for reminding me of the ranger.
If you actually do get a chance to check one out you will really like it. The Ranger is really under appreciated compared to the Tacoma. Drive both back to back and the difference is huge. The taco in its current form is a straight dog compared to the ranger. I think the 2.3 and 10R80 is a magic combo for a small pickup.

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium; 1994 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've addressed this in another thread but hydrogen production requires a massive amount of energy, so if you don't have enough power for electric cars then you don't have enough power for hydrogen production. Hydrogen transportation is extremely inefficient unless you use pipelines. You would literally have to run a hydrogen pipeline to every single gas station. You can't liquify hydrogen(outside of a lab) for transport. Fuel cells are less efficient than batteries. The current cost per mile with hydrogen fuel cells is about the same as you'd pay for gas in a Bronco
ICE vehicles are the best option now. Maybe in the future EV battery technology will rival the range and efficiency of the ICE? Or maybe there will be game changing improvements to Hydrogen production and delivery in the future? For now, I'm staying with my gas powered vehicles.

Sponsored

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ICE vehicles are the best option now. Maybe in the future EV battery technology will rival the range and efficiency of the ICE? Or maybe there will be game changing improvements to Hydrogen production and delivery in the future? For now, I'm staying with my gas powered vehicles.
That's totally fine if that's what suits your use case best. Unless there are some major breakthroughs I don't ever see hydrogen being a real viable option. There have been some folks that have mentioned the large distances between some gas stations in their area, to solve that problem you'd have to run a pipe for 50+ miles or what ever it is to supply hydrogen to the gas station, and not just any pipe, because the steel/iron pipes used to run natural gas today would become brittle if hydrogen were run through them.

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's totally fine if that's what suits your use case best. Unless there are some major breakthroughs I don't ever see hydrogen being a real viable option. There have been some folks that have mentioned the large distances between some gas stations in their area, to solve that problem you'd have to run a pipe for 50+ miles or what ever it is to supply hydrogen to the gas station, and not just any pipe, because the steel/iron pipes used to run natural gas today would become brittle if hydrogen were run through them.
I agree 💯

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Big nope here in Canada,they haven't started planting current bushes yet.

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Big nope here in Canada,they haven't started planting current bushes yet.
You mean you can't just stick a copper rod in the ground with a charging station and get free electricity? 🤣👍

Sponsored

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Ranger FX4 (MANUAL) & '74 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hard pass for me.
If I was interested, I'd just wait a year for a low mileage used Lightning. I expect a number of boat/travel trailer owners will think they can travel with a Lightning, then ditch it as soon as they realize how quickly mileage drops when they do.
I think the Lightning will be a fine commuter and fleet vehicle, but I don't see it as a recreational vehicle.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
F150 Lightning is a different class of vehicle compared to the Bronco. It's a larger fixed top pickup, compared to smaller removable top vehicle. Not to mention the electric vs gasoline implications for various types of remote vehicle usage.

I'm surprise many people would switch, given key differences in the attributes. For example, one key reason I'm interested in the Bronco is the removable top, which separates Bronco from nearly every other available 4x4, including Lighting. So for me, switching to the Lighting is not an option.

Probably some folks switching, were never all that into the reality of the Bronco. At least certainly not the top down/doors off key functionality which kind of makes the Bronco what it is.

BroncoAgain

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"14 Wrangler JKUR, Ram 2500 6.7 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I worked for a large electric utility for decades and worked a lot on the Smart Meter. That meter has the ability of knowing when you charge your EV. When you carge your EV can be controlled by those that control the grid. What if the charging station you need on a trip is off line? I am keeping my ICE for when TSHTF. I have an electric bicycle. My Ram diesel can pull my 8K TT 600 miles a day with me behind the wheel, and it's paid for, and will last another 200K miles.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I worked for a large electric utility for decades and worked a lot on the Smart Meter. That meter has the ability of knowing when you charge your EV. When you carge your EV can be controlled by those that control the grid. What if the charging station you need on a trip is off line? I am keeping my ICE for when TSHTF. I have an electric bicycle. My Ram diesel can pull my 8K TT 600 miles a day with me behind the wheel, and it's paid for, and will last another 200K miles.
I'm in love with electric for the future, and for now as an around-town vehicle. But for longer distance driving, I envision myself away from home pulling into a charging line, with a bunch of shmucks in front of me taking forever to charge, like I always get in the wrong checkout line at the grocery store.

And even if a reasonable charge takes maybe 20 minutes, that's an hour if you've got 3 persons in line in front of you. I don't see how that is workable on a trip. I friend of mine took his Tesla cross country, but he had to plan it all out, had an issue at a charging station, and it was a project. He enjoyed the trip for the novelty and challenge. But for a regular user just wanting to get from point A to B, I don't see electric there just yet for longer distances.

But overall I'm stoked about the Lightning, consider it a milestone vehicle, and wish Ford all the success. (Plus my Ford stock went up again ca-ching.)
Sponsored