Sponsored

Just got my hardtop replaced under warranty for "material defect". What to look for.

Mountain Mike

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
OK Here's what you need to know. Go look at your hardtop especially if you have a 2 door. You are gonna want to look under and around the side windows for hairline cracks. Be aware that these cracks aren't always easy to see. If the top is wet, waxed or has 303 on it you probably wont see them. The best way I have found to see them is to use a flashlight at night. As you move the light around at different angles they become obvious if you have them.

So I found some cracks and went to my dealer. The service rep got some good pics while it was in service WHILE USING A LIGHT. He sent these pics to Ford and 8 or 9 days later Ford responded with the following. "Although normally cracks are an indication of outside force, in this instance this would actually be considered a defect. The cracks are forming right at the edge of the window opening around the thin part of the frame. This would suggest a structural weakness could be present. This would be considered a material defect."

So it took 7 days to get it back. The new headliner had to be glued in and a glass person had to glue the windows into the new top. They gave me a loaner so no worries. This has been my second warranty issue but Ford stepped up and fixed both with no hassle.

Ford Bronco Just got my hardtop replaced under warranty for "material defect". What to look for. roof 1

Ford Bronco Just got my hardtop replaced under warranty for "material defect". What to look for. roof 2
Sponsored

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Is that inside or out?

OP
OP
Mountain Mike

Mountain Mike

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
That's the outside. Not the best pics. It had rained and it was dark.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow, the light really brings them out!

OP
OP
Mountain Mike

Mountain Mike

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Daylight pics.

top10.jpg

top 11.jpg

top 12.jpg

Sponsored

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm headed to my dealer on the 16th for the same thing.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford translation: "although we normally blame the customer for this, we'll make an exception this one time so people think we're reasonable."

Great use of a low angle flashlight. We use the same technique on composite panels on airplanes.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

They all have that.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mountain Mike

Mountain Mike

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Your girlfriends reaction????
Almost looks like scratches.
Yep the hairline cracks just look like white lines. Using the light helps see where it has actually moved.
They all have that.
Mine doesn't now. Sooo. Just to be clear. I did not ask for a replacement. I only had 4K on the Bronco and was there for the random headlights turning on random issue. I just asked the service Mgr. to document it as the top had never been off. He decided it was an issue and sent the pics to Ford. Ford then decided to replace it. I wasn't complaining or asking for anything.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Your girlfriends reaction????

Yep the hairline cracks just look like white lines. Using the light helps see where it has actually moved.

Mine doesn't now. Sooo. Just to be clear. I did not ask for a replacement. I only had 4K on the Bronco and was there for the random headlights turning on random issue. I just asked the service Mgr. to document it as the top had never been off. He decided it was an issue and sent the pics to Ford. Ford then decided to replace it. I wasn't complaining or asking for anything.
Mine didn’t have them, until it did. Just like the rest of them 😉

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Well I officially have my first hairline crack. It's very minuscule, but I've been laser focused on checking my top a couple days a week since everyone has been reporting issues. Do you think I go to the dealer now for warranty or wait until it gets worse / more cracks form?

A few notes on my specific situation:

- MIC 2.0
- Built in June '22, been driving it since Aug '22
- No crack at time of delivery inspection
- Crack is located on rear cap, below passenger side window
- I noticed it a couple months ago, but at that point was so hard to notice I figured it was just a light scratch.
- Currently have 6,500 miles
- Have not taken the rear cap/top off yet. Just front & middle panels.
- Went off-roading for the first time this past weekend, and that seemed to "open up" the crack a bit more with all the bouncing around (makes sense). I suppose I'm not supposed to take my Bronco off-road, lol.

Other than this, my top has been pretty flawless (compared to others).

What should I do?

Ford Bronco Just got my hardtop replaced under warranty for "material defect". What to look for. 1

Ford Bronco Just got my hardtop replaced under warranty for "material defect". What to look for. 2

Ford Bronco Just got my hardtop replaced under warranty for "material defect". What to look for. 3

Ford Bronco Just got my hardtop replaced under warranty for "material defect". What to look for. 4

Last edited: