Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Got my kicker key 180.4 installed tonight with the plug and play harness and holly crap it made a huge difference. Not sure I would use this with stock speakers unless you have the gains turned all the way down. I was listening to BPM (techno) on SiriusXM and I could smell my speakers burning lol only had it turned up to 16 which was loud as hell. I’m guessing it was coming from the stock speakers in the kick panels because I’ve changed the dash and the rear speakers out to aftermarket. The factory kick panel speakers sure were bumping though I was surprised how well they sounded but after I smelled something I turned the volume down it’s definitely a speaker smell I’ve smelled that smell before.

Only issue is I think my warning chime is now twice as loud which sucks I can’t figure out how to turn it down in the settings on radio I don’t think there’s a way. The push button tone is also double as loud. I turned that off in the settings so stuck with the loud warning chime when doors are open and loud seat belt chime might have to just deal with it. I’ll mess with it more tomorrow in the day light. It was really quiet out since it was dark so maybe I’m over thinking how loud the warning chime is. I did mount mine under the steering column used Velcro to hold it down on that silver plate there was plenty of cable to get it there just take your time fishing the wires over there and you’ll get it.
Sponsored

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That kit is $1200 for an Audio Control 5 channel amp. It’s not as plug and play as the Kicker amp setup and is probably overkill for most people. The Audio Control amp will require power from the battery and a ground to be run for anything to work. I’m probably going with kit 22, the kicker 200.4 and 500.1 for $680 that will accomplish a similar setup. The 200.4 is plug and play, the 500.1 will require battery power and ground when I add a sub. I like the idea of a simple matched setup using the pair of Kicker amps. Option B for me would be kit 16 for $530 with the 200.4 amp and LCI Pro to add a sub later. Adding the 500.1 amp for the extra $150 seems like the better move for me. Assuming I’m happy with the setup I’ll likely buy the same thing for my Lightning when it arrives.

I’m either going to oder a B&O sub or wait for someone else to make a hidden box for that location. There is no room in my 2 door for an exposed sub box.
No DSP this route though? A guy even need that really?

Scotteasymoney

Wildtrak
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150. 72 maverick grabber
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I am a factory direct distributor and there’s no deals that he would be able to give you and then buying my harness separately that would save you any money
I was just messing with him. I'm in business for myself as well and everyone needs to make their coin.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Kicker amps have DSP built in, part of their programming involves putting a microphone on the driver headrest and playing pink noise tracks so it can compensate for the factory output and vehicle characteristics.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great video op!! Just ordered kit 11, can't wait to hear some sound out of the rear speakers!!
I read on some post that the key amp will fit under the steering column, hoping to mount it there.
This post:
Knew from the beginning I wanted to use the Kicker Key 200.4 for the fronts as it's super compact and efficient. Really easy to set up and mounted perfectly on the crash bar under the steering column. Still get full range of motion on the column too!
IMG_20210803_181910.jpg

IMG_20210803_181934.jpg

Meant to take more pictures of the install process but you get in the zone and just get stuff done!

Will update again with the rear speaker and sub setup!
Hopefully the harness from Plugnplaykits has enough wire to get over there. Maybe I could mount the 500.1 up under the dashboard where others are mounting the 200.4, would make for a shorter power run.

Sponsored
OP
OP
67BroncoG1

67BroncoG1

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2D Squatch, '67 Bronco, '24 Grenadier -ordered
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The harness has enough room to put it under the steering panel. It might actually be easier to run the sub wires to the back then a fat power cable. I like your thinking.

cmcbronco

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 f-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ok so question. I have already installed a sub with kicker key 500.1 amp. I tapped into the front kick panel speakers for the input signal. If I do install this kit will I have to mess with my settings I’ve already done on my kicker key sub amp? Since the signal now will be Amplified?

I was going to hold off for a while on amplifying my other speakers but this plug and play kit is tempting since it seems prettt straight forward….My credit card company loves me lately lol.
Any input on this ?

OP
OP
67BroncoG1

67BroncoG1

Base
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2D Squatch, '67 Bronco, '24 Grenadier -ordered
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

DSP is the magic part and is what makes this worth doing. It digitally "fixes" a lot of mechanical sins like crummy drivers, poor locations, and bad enclosures. Think of it as photoshop for audio.

There are more expensive DSP amps that allow you to tune them with your iPhone but that takes some audio skill and costs a lot more. The Kicker Key is budget friendly and won't get you some audiophile sound but it will make most people really happy. My wife got in the Bronco for our weekend drive to our lake house and instantly commented on how good it sounded. It really is that noticeable.

BTW: I have no stake in any of the companies involved. I looked for a resonable solution after my local car stereo shop suggested that it would take at $3,500 to get a meaningful audio improvement. That is 10% the purchase price of my basesquatch. The guy pissed me off so decided to burn some time and figure this out.

Put your money into amp power and DSP then spend it on the actual speakers. As someone pointed out above, it is surprising how much you can get out of the kick panel speakers. That said, I have a 3 way component set sitting in a box waiting for me to find the time to install them.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks like the inventory on several Bronco items at Plugnplaykits has been depleted. I had a Kit 22 in my cart, but when I went back tonight it was sold out. I’ll keep an eye on it and try to order later.

pfbz

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Turbo, 991 Turbo S, 996 turbo, Q5 Turbo
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is joe owner of plugnplaykits.com .....
Joe, just have to say I was impressed with your customer service. Ordered Monday, received shipping info today (Tuesday), with expected delivery Friday. It's kind of rare these days to have well designed products, good pricing, great communication, and fast delivery, so I wanted to say thanks...

Ford could learn a thing or two from the way you run your business!

Sponsored

bcgray

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Subaru Outback Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’m seriously considering a 6.5” powered bazooka

I’ve liked them in the past and they are durable
I wouldn't buy one of those again. Too easy to steal. In all fairness, mine was latched down in the trunk of one of my previous vehicles with straps that were drilled into the floor of the trunk.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wouldn't buy one of those again. Too easy to steal. In all fairness, mine was latched down in the trunk of one of my previous vehicles with straps that were drilled into the floor of the trunk.
For $200 I don’t want it stolen, but for $200 it’s not the end of the world and minimal damage to the car 🤷‍♀️
Maybe I’ll look how to anchor it
But I also want it removable

j_anderson

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is joe owner of plugnplaykits.com
I sent a chat message to the site yesterday for more info but haven't heard back. Understand people are busy but can you tell me the difference between kits 14 and 15. Is it simply the length of the harness?

The plan is to install an amp/sub in the factory location later. So, need a harness that will reach the back.

cmcbronco

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 f-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
I sent a chat message to the site yesterday for more info but haven't heard back. Understand people are busy but can you tell me the difference between kits 14 and 15. Is it simply the length of the harness?

The plan is to install an amp/sub in the factory location later. So, need a harness that will reach the back.
I asked a few questions through message on here and on the website. Never heard a thing but I went ahead and ordered. I’ll probably end up calling crutchfield with any questions. Their customer service is awesome.

j_anderson

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I asked a few questions through message on here and on the website. Never heard a thing but I went ahead and ordered. I’ll probably end up calling crutchfield with any questions. Their customer service is awesome.
I also messaged them here weeks ago and haven't heard back on that one either.
Sponsored