First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Outer Banks 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've done a lot of suspension work in the past but this Bronco is beating me up pretty bad!

The axle nut galled up the threads on my axle shaft when removing it which is obviously a giant pain but turns out it's not my biggest problem, also my CV joint separated when I leaned the knuckle to remove the strut. Which is also not the biggest problem of the job. Ordered a tool from Amazon that fits in a Dremel that restores threads- which works great if anyone has the same trouble I've had. Ordered new axle nuts from Ford which were surprisingly only $3 bucks each. While talking to the parts guy he asked if I worked at a local 4x4 shop? Come to find out the local shop had ordered two nuts and a new axle. I called them to see if I could buy a nut from them since mine was dead in the water. They've got two down in the shop for the same reason. Lol I didn't feel near as bad hearing I'm not the only one having trouble. Picked up the nuts I ordered and attempted to put her all back together but the axle just wouldn't go back together. Tried for a while with no luck. Decided to clean up the shaft to see if there was a keyed spline or something I was missing and I found the problem.
Ford Bronco Leveling kit install has kicked my a$$! tempImagexJgAtv
Emergency ordered an axle shaft hopefully I get it Monday or Tuesday. What a mess! How the heck did this axle shaft get so hammered in less than 2000 miles?? The CV separated way too easy I'm guessing it was never fully seated from the factory. But I still wonder what the heck beat up the shaft so bad??
Sponsored

BroncMe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs
Your Bronco Model
Base
In a word, sasquatch. Would freak having to deal with the above, have none of your skills tools or patience

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Frustrating yes, but in the end you gained expertise, and you saved money. Not to mention, your Bronco could be at the local 4x4 shop waiting on nuts and an axle. In the end, you win. Keep plugging.

Gofar

Base
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco 4dr base sas 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Base
First of all, thank you for posting this.
I can imagine the level of frustration you have experienced.
What tool did you use to remove the axle nut ? (Impact or breaker bar)
And how did you remove the stub axel from the Hub ?
I just installed RPG collars and I used a electric impact to remove the nut and a three prong puller to press the axle out of the Hub.
After reading what happened to you I'm thinking everyone should plan on replacing the axle nut every time it's been removed.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've done a lot of suspension work in the past but this Bronco is beating me up pretty bad!

The axle nut galled up the threads on my axle shaft when removing it which is obviously a giant pain but turns out it's not my biggest problem, also my CV joint separated when I leaned the knuckle to remove the strut. Which is also not the biggest problem of the job. Ordered a tool from Amazon that fits in a Dremel that restores threads- which works great if anyone has the same trouble I've had. Ordered new axle nuts from Ford which were surprisingly only $3 bucks each. While talking to the parts guy he asked if I worked at a local 4x4 shop? Come to find out the local shop had ordered two nuts and a new axle. I called them to see if I could buy a nut from them since mine was dead in the water. They've got two down in the shop for the same reason. Lol I didn't feel near as bad hearing I'm not the only one having trouble. Picked up the nuts I ordered and attempted to put her all back together but the axle just wouldn't go back together. Tried for a while with no luck. Decided to clean up the shaft to see if there was a keyed spline or something I was missing and I found the problem.
tempImagexJgAtv.png
Emergency ordered an axle shaft hopefully I get it Monday or Tuesday. What a mess! How the heck did this axle shaft get so hammered in less than 2000 miles?? The CV separated way too easy I'm guessing it was never fully seated from the factory. But I still wonder what the heck beat up the shaft so bad??
Where is the retaining ring that should be in the outer most groove?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tito

Base
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969, 1971, 1966, 1973, 2022 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
My threads were jacked from the factory on the axle nut as well on one side, pain in the ass. Took time with a half inch impact. Got it done but was not expecting that as an issue.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

tempImagexJgAtv.png
I just installed RPG collars and I used a electric impact to remove the nut and a three prong puller to press the axle out of the Hub.
After reading what happened to you I'm thinking everyone should plan on replacing the axle nut every time it's been removed.
Where the retaining ring that should be in the outer most groove?
OP, attached below is some information from the TSM that may be helpful (e.g., TSM procedures for removal and installation of the Wheel Knuckle, Halfshaft, and Front Wheel Bearing and Wheel Hub).

When you say "axle nut", presumably you are referring to the Wheel Hub Nut? Wheel Hub Nuts are One Time Use (OTU), so it's good that they are cheap.

Ford Bronco Leveling kit install has kicked my a$$! Wheel Hub Nut

Did you remove the Inner Halfshaft Retaining Circlip, or was it never installed at the factory? (That wouldn't be the first time it has been reported on this forum.)

Ford Bronco Leveling kit install has kicked my a$$! Inner Halfshaft Retaining Circli

View attachment Wheel Knuckle.pdf

View attachment Halfshaft.pdf

View attachment Front Wheel Bearing and Wheel Hub.pdf

Last edited:

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow, that is bad for being a new axle with only 2k. Who the heck is assembling this stuff :rolleyes:.
I'll be swapping in RCV's when mine comes, but hope mine doesn't look like that mess when they come out as I will keep them as trail spares.

Do you have a link to the thread restorer?

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is why many of us remove the rear LCA bolts when removing the coilovers and leave the axle alone. Seems faster and less likely to mess anything up.

OP
OP

Big E Tacocat

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Outer Banks 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Electric impact also. I agree at $3 bucks its definitely worth replacing. I asked the parts guy is this a single use nut??

Sponsored
OP
OP

Big E Tacocat

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Outer Banks 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
OP
OP

Big E Tacocat

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Outer Banks 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is why many of us remove the rear LCA bolts when removing the coilovers and leave the axle alone. Seems faster and less likely to mess anything up.
I agree but I think I still would've had trouble since the CV wasn't fully seated

OP
OP

Big E Tacocat

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Outer Banks 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
OP, attached below is some information from the TSM that may be helpful (e.g., TSM procedures for removal and installation of the Wheel Knuckle, Halfshaft, and Front Wheel Bearing and Wheel Hub).

When you say "axle nut", presumably you are referring to the Wheel Hub Nut? Wheel Hub Nuts are One Time Use (OTU), so it's good that they are cheap.

Ford Bronco Leveling kit install has kicked my a$$! Front Wheel Bearing and Wheel Hub

Did you remove the Inner Halfshaft Retaining Circlip, or was it never installed at the factory? (That wouldn't be the first time it has been reported on this forum.)

Ford Bronco Leveling kit install has kicked my a$$! Front Wheel Bearing and Wheel Hub

View attachment Wheel Knuckle.pdf

View attachment Halfshaft.pdf

View attachment Front Wheel Bearing and Wheel Hub.pdf
Well that answers that question. It did seem like they were single use. I asked the parts guy he said there were no notes stating single use. The retaining circlip was there but it seemed way to expanded to be able to get the axle to ever seat again. Even if the axle was never fully seated what caused all that damage? I did ask if there was a possibility of warranty help. We'll see what happens nobody has told me no yet

cracKen

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Badlands 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seeing mangled CV threads/splined has me worried now. Can we bring this to Ford’s attention somehow so they can trace it to whoever at the factory isn’t doing it right? or let them figure out why this is happening. Most of us who take delivery aren’t going take off an axle to check the threads.

How many ft/lbs of torque does your electric impact have or what made it hard? I got one with 650ft/lbs and I hear that’s pretty much enough to work on the toughest axle nut or wheel hub nut, should come right off at that torque right?

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This was my question on another thread since icon’s spacer instructions also say to remove the LCA. I was wondering the advantage/disadvantages of both methods. Thanks for clearing that up!

Still curious on the LCA removal method from
the frame… is there a concern with the angle it puts the cv axle at since it’s literally drooping it outside of the normal travel arc when it gets disconnected and dropped below the frame?
Sponsored