First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think I had seen some message strings about this before.

My 2022 BD MT transmission makes a lot of noise at start up and when it's running cold. Once it warms up it seems to go away... Isn't this something others have noticed? It is a warrantee item?
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Welcome to the club!!!

@Boreal posted all of the relevant links. To save you many hours of searching through forum posts with hundreds of posts...
  • Yes, it's a known issue
  • Yes, Ford is aware of the issue
  • We are not sure if damage is occurring, there are a couple of reports regarding damage, but there are many more reports of people reporting their dealer didn't notice any damage while completing Ford's repair steps.
  • Based on what we know today, Ford/Magna/Getrag doesn't have a permanent fix yet.
At this point... best thing you can do is document the issue with your dealer so it gets on Ford's internal reporting.

My description of the issue, complete with video—

Just wanted to share this video for people who aren't sure if they have the issue or not. This is my Bronco, and I have the issue, but it is MUCH less noticeable than many of the videos on this thread.

As the TSB states, it happens in neutral, and in 1st gear. In 1st gear it is barely audible, I have to shift the transfer case into 4x4 Low and let it crawl for me to be able to hear it. If I go any faster than that then the road noise drowns out the transmission noise. It likely also happens in 2nd gear, but by then the road noise drowns out the transmission noise completely and you can't hear it at all.

You can get it to go away by shifting up against the 5th/6th gear gate, by pressing the clutch pedal, waiting for the transmission to warm up, etc etc. (Everything that has already been stated in this thread.)

You will likely have to listen with headphones. I personally don't hear it when playing the video back on my cell phone or my laptop.

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yep, don‘t expect to get it fixed real soon. Take it out and enjoy.

I’m going to be in your area mid June planning to do Black Bear Pass and several others

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I think I had seen some message strings about this before.

My 2022 BD MT transmission makes a lot of noise at start up and when it's running cold. Once it warms up it seems to go away... Isn't this something others have noticed? It is a warrantee item?
Hi James. Can you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into this for you.

Sponsored

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands 4dr || '21 Bronco Sport BigBend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Get in line and cross your fingers, my transmission has been in pieces since Jan 4 at the dealer, waiting on an extra spacer ring that was not included with the TSB. I've not enjoyed 3 rental cars these past 8 weeks :(

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They all make the noise, so drive it until you can't. Document with the dealer, but just keep driving and enjoy until you can't.

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And don't bother with the Ford Bot.

OP
OP
jcaruso970

jcaruso970

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hey all:

Spoke to my Dealer in Montrose (Montrose Ford). It is a known issue @ Ford and they do have a fix. Apparently is the sync rings on the 4th and 5th gears. It might take as few days to get the parts but Montrose Ford seemed positive about the fix.

OP
OP
jcaruso970

jcaruso970

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hi James. Can you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into this for you.

I called Montrose Ford and they are going to order the parts and scheduling the fix. Thanks...

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Get in line and cross your fingers, my transmission has been in pieces since Jan 4 at the dealer, waiting on an extra spacer ring that was not included with the TSB. I've not enjoyed 3 rental cars these past 8 weeks :(
And right there is why I won't be having the TSB done, I'll wait for total failure.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey all:

Spoke to my Dealer in Montrose (Montrose Ford). It is a known issue @ Ford and they do have a fix. Apparently is the sync rings on the 4th and 5th gears. It might take as few days to get the parts but Montrose Ford seemed positive about the fix.
sounds-good-doesnt-work.gif

SVTLightning

Badlands
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey all:

Buckle up, the “fix” so far has not actually fixed it for most. Now one poster did say yesterday they heard part numbers were being changed which if true should hopefully lead to a true fix. Have not seen any confirmation of it in that thread so as of now it is just a “my dealer said” statement.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hey all:

So I take it you didn't read the threads you were pointed to.
Good luck.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey all:

It's 5th and 6th. Either they are clueless or you heard them wrong.
Sponsored

Attachments