Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

UPDATED with TSB:

Ford Bronco Manual transmission scraping noise / grinding sound bronco 22-2371

Had my Bronco a couple months. 2000 miles. I have the 2.3 manual in my Badlands. When I start it up in the morning I hear what sounds like a grinding, somethings loose kind of noise. When I push the clutch in it seems to go away. It also seems to go away after it has been driven a while. Anyone else experiencing this? Is it normal? I have an appointment to bring the truck in tomorrow 1/12/22. I will let everyone know how I make out. Anyone else experiencing this?

UPDATE Well not really what I wanted to hear or satisfied with the explanation I got. Service manager said it could possibly be the throw out bearing. As the invoice states they have a call into Ford. They will call me when they hear from them. I picked up the truck as they said it was fine to drive. They also said it may be a break-in thing, which I know is not the case. It drives fine, shifts easy and clutch is easy to operate. Besides the noise no issues. I have to say until I hear from them again I’m hesitant to drive it. Luckily I’ll be out of town for a few days. Hopefully I’ll hear back before I get home.

Ford Bronco Manual transmission scraping noise / grinding sound 1642046026798
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes, I have the 2.3 with a manual trans and hear a noise you describe.

jm7097

Outer Banks
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GMC Sierra Denali, 2018 GMC Acadia
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
classic throw out bearing noise. If so, it might last a long time or it might not before needing replacement.
I agree. If pushing clutch in a litttle stops noise, then it's the throw out bearing. If you have to push it down all the way, then I would suspect a trans issue.

Sponsored

nic

Badlands
First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've heard something similar as well, do you hear it in every gear? Mine only seems to be in first.

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've heard something similar as well, do you hear it in every gear? Mine only seems to be in first.
Mine only seems to be at idle when allowing it to warm up in the morning time. Don’t notice it in any particular gear or they out the day.

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I noticed a similar sorta noise with my Bronco within two weeks of owning it.

I dropped it off at the dealership, they did a test run and the mechanic found nothing wrong. I'm assuming the mechanic sits on the clutch when stopped at the lights etc and doesn't put it into neutral.

Either way, along with the noise I get nice little burning smell when I let it idle but not all the time.
If I push on the clutch pedal while in neutral, the sound goes away. If I'm in gear, the sound goes away. When the noise is present, I can feel the vibrations on the gear shift knob.

Either way, they didn't offer me a loaner car and I picked up the Bronco that afternoon, so I'm going to eventually take it to another dealership to get this issue sorted.

Edit to save people looking for my other posts:
About 3,000kms later, I got tired of the noise. It was getting worse and I booked a service appointment with another dealer. They gave me a loaner and within a day, said the transmission needed replacement. Bad throwout bearing or something, I didn't really care about specifics.

82 days later, I got the Bronco back with a new transmission. Two days later, I sold the thing. It still sitting on a dealer lot after going south of the border, now with four brand new aftermarket wheels and tires that don't match the new grabbers I tossed on the thing and its only $55k USD, when I paid $47K CDN. The carfax doesn't mention the transmission replacement either, go figure.

I sent the service advisor this video along with another one when I dropped it off.

Last edited:

MistaGavin

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 F-150 & '68 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Anyone know if it uses a dual mass flywheel? My R56 Mini (Getrag trans as well) did the same thing until I changed the TOB, clutch, and flywheel, but the TOB looked and felt fine. From my reading, those dual mass flywheels have a tendency to squeak and rattle after a certain point.

OP
OP
raymondcielo

raymondcielo

Badlands
First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I noticed a similar sorta noise with my Bronco within two weeks of owning it.

I dropped it off at the dealership, they did a test run and the mechanic found nothing wrong. I'm assuming the mechanic sits on the clutch when stopped at the lights etc and doesn't put it into neutral.

Either way, along with the noise I get nice little burning smell when I let it idle but not all the time.
If I push on the clutch pedal while in neutral, the sound goes away. If I'm in gear, the sound goes away. When the noise is present, I can feel the vibrations on the gear shift knob.

Either way, they didn't offer me a loaner car and I picked up the Bronco that afternoon, so I'm going to eventually take it to another dealership to get this issue sorted.

I sent the service advisor this video along with another one when I dropped it off.
Keep me posted on your findings as well!