Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands 4dr || '21 Bronco Sport BigBend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
22 Badlands 7MT, 2900 miles

I am hearing a strange grinding/scraping sound when driving my bronco. Anyone else have this?

== UPDATE (Feb 24, 2023) ==
Dealer took apart tranny and found very worn spacer ring, and still waiting on it since backordered.
My bronco has been at dealer for 8 weeks now !!!

== UPDATE 4 (Jan 4, 2023) ==
Dropped off the rig for the TSB. Dealership said they will likely have it for a week.

== UPDATE 3 (Dec 15, 2022) ==
Someone sent me the TSB, here it is: 22-2371
I've been told service is:
It's a complete transmission disassembly to gain access and replace the 5th and 6th gear synchronizer rings.
== UPDATE 2 (Nov 30, 2022) ==
Got my bronco back and they said "Compared to like vehicle, found that this is a normal characteristics of the vehicle" and "checked for TSB's or SSM's and found none".
So basically we they dont know and until Ford officially says something it's a non issue.

== UPDATE: ==
The OP on this other thread, has confirmed same noise he had on his 7MT and his transmission was replaced. Other thread: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...review-10-000-miles.49984/page-2#post-1651758

Ford Bronco Strange Grinding/scraping noise from 22 Badlands 7MT bronco 22-2371

I did also upload a new video of the sound:

Ford Bronco Strange Grinding/scraping noise from 22 Badlands 7MT 1669854935786

Sponsored

Last edited:

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK, 2000 Ram 2500, 1993 FZJ80, 1994 FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Try shifting at higher RPMs. Your motor is lugging and that creates vibration through the drivetrain. My Jeep also does this if you shift at low RPMs.

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

I am hearing a strange grinding/scraping sound when driving my bronco. Anyone else have this?

I finally took a video today. The light grinding/scraping noise can be heard throughout the video but especially at these times below.

Turn your speakers up.

:07 - :13
1:05 - 1:22
1:40 - 1:42

Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your Bronco concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end

OP
OP
djp

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
Try shifting at higher RPMs. Your motor is lugging and that creates vibration through the drivetrain. My Jeep also does this if you shift at low RPMs.
in the first part of video, at the 7-13 mark, the clutch is pushed in and i am gliding to the stop sign.

Sponsored

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK, 2000 Ram 2500, 1993 FZJ80, 1994 FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

in the first part of video, at the 7-13 mark, the clutch is pushed in and i am gliding to the stop sign.
I may have missed that but later on you were upshifting at RPMs lower than 2K then barely giving it any gas which will make it louder and lug the engine. Rev that baby up! I don't shift until almost 3K when accelerating.

OP
OP
djp

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
How's it at cold start in neutral?

Sounds similar to post 11 of this thread: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/2-3-manual-engine-trans-noise.33282/

Was it making this noise in warmer weather (or when fully warmed up)? Some folks are experiencing chatter in colder weather cold starts, but goes away when warmed up. Might possibly be a fluid viscosity type noise.

The video i posted was actually trimmed. I started it cold in the garage with hood open, hoping to catch the sound. I do not hear it. It seems to be only when rolling... but i think i heard it the other day when in neutral.... I'll have to start notating.

I have been driving it w/o top, and recently put it on. I think with the top off for the tail end of the summer, I wasnt able to hear the noise. Perhaps it has been happening all along and I just didnt notice until top was back on. I'll keep an eye on it.

As far as warm driving, I drove it yesterday, warmed it up for a few minutes and then drove 5 miles and i still heard the noise

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The video i posted was actually trimmed. I started it cold in the garage with hood open, hoping to catch the sound. I do not hear it. It seems to be only when rolling... but i think i heard it the other day when in neutral.... I'll have to start notating.

I have been driving it w/o top, and recently put it on. I think with the top off for the tail end of the summer, I wasnt able to hear the noise. Perhaps it has been happening all along and I just didnt notice until top was back on. I'll keep an eye on it.

As far as warm driving, I drove it yesterday, warmed it up for a few minutes and then drove 5 miles and i still heard the noise
Ah interesting... got it. Some folks have also noted that when attempting to shift into 6th while stationary (clutch out, not actually going into the gate but encouraging the shifter in the direction), the noise goes away -- indicating a bad 6th gear.

I wonder if that may be the case since you aren't experiencing the cold start in neutral rattle scenario?

OP
OP
djp

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
Ah interesting... got it. Some folks have also noted that when attempting to shift into 6th (either stationary, or rolling with clutch in), the noise goes away -- indicating a bad 6th gear.

I wonder if that may be the case since you aren't experiencing the cold start in neutral rattle scenario?
I have no rattle/no shake just that strange grinding sound you hear in video. It's like someone is running the dishwasher / washing machine in my bronco

MistaGavin

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 F-150 & '68 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sounds like a bad MT. I don’t like going to the dealer, but I would do that if I were you.

Sponsored
OP
OP
djp

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sounds like a bad MT. I don’t like going to the dealer, but I would do that if I were you.
Currently trying to get scheduled in but they have about a month wait. I just dropped the bronco sport off on Monday after a month wait and haven't gotten it back yet

Hicksnstix

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1963 Fairlane, 2022 Bronco Mansquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yep sounds just like mine! The thread previously mentioned by socalexplorer has tons of us all with the noise. Mine does it nearly all the time driving now even after a 30 minute drive to work I still hear it. It’s super bad in low gears like when pulling into a gas station it’s almost embarrassingly loud sounds like rocks in a blender. Some in that thread have also had trans replacements already doing it again. Supposedly it was mentioned that it was a syncro issue and a tsb was coming in the next 4-6 weeks I believe it was on page 13.

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I finally took a video today. The light grinding/scraping noise can be heard throughout the video but especially at these times below.

Turn your speakers up.

:07 - :13
1:05 - 1:22
1:40 - 1:42

== UPDATE: ==
The OP on this other thread, has confirmed same noise he had on his 7MT and his transmission was replaced. Other thread: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...review-10-000-miles.49984/page-2#post-1651758

Dude mine has been making that exact sound. Almost 10k on my 2021 but it used to only really be noticeable in colder temps last winter. Now it seems to happen everyday, regardless of the temperature. I’m definitely taking it in to get checked out before I get close to the warranty expiring.

Garwood

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine has it too. When I scheduled my appointment with the dealer a month ago it was a two-week wait to get it in. Now it's been another two weeks since I dropped it off and they still haven't gotten to it.

joshgangluff

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2.3l MT, 1988 Bronco II XL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hi. I have the same sound in mine. Drives me crazy. Started at 200 miles. Dealer thought it was transfer case first and replaced that, but the sound remained. Dealer then replaced the transmission at 1600 miles per Ford's rec. Said they thought it could've been a bad bearing. It was quiet for a while and I was just starting to love this truck and planning some projects for it. Then at 2000 miles the sound came back and is as loud as ever now at 2200 miles. I called my dealer back and they are supposed to be contacting Ford again. if I need another transmission, this will be my third attempt at fixing the problem. Once number 4 rolls around, it can be considered a lemon in my state. Not sure what I'm going to do if it gets there, but I really really want it fixed. It's almost embarrassing to drive around and it shouldn't be that way for a ride this cool! Here's hoping for the best of luck to you and all of us struggling with these noisy transmissions. I'll keep you updated.
Sponsored