Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With pulling my 3500 lbs. RV out on the mountain roads not ideal, this will work well for taking the road less traveled on a long weekend. Thank you for posting and sharing instructions!
Sponsored

OP
OP
SwampCactus

SwampCactus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Cactus Grey Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Asylumchild

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

CatcusGrey

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee for a decade and loved the fact that the seats folded flat with the rear and had lots of storage under that around the spare tire. As soon as I had a Bronco ordered this was the number one project I wanted to do. I finally got around this past weekend to build out a platform bed to level it out for sleeping and give it much needed additional storage to mimic what I had in the Jeep.

I looked at several posts on this forum for ideas. I wanted something super simple. I didn’t need to have the entire thing be completely level by adding an additional platform over the rear seats. Or to fill in the gap between the front seat and the folded seat. I wanted to keep it clean looking and as soon as I fold down the seats have something ready to sleep in. So with that said check out my build.
  • Sheet of 3/8 plywood cut 42” wide by 33” inches deep.
  • 8 foot 2x4
  • D rings and hardware
  • Speaker carpet
  • Adhesive spray
  • Staple gun
I cut 2 2x4's and spaced them out far enough so I could still open the sub floor compartment.

0.png

I then cut the deck to 42" x 33"

1.png

I put duct tape on the sides so it wouldn't scratch up the plastic when loading. Put in to test the fit of everything and then screwed down the deck to the 2x4's.

3.png

Take the remaining 2x4 and cut it to length for a front piece. Note that this piece is not screwed in or attached. Simply inserted in place. This gives it a finished look, hides the gear, and also gives it a lot of support. Can easily add heavy bins, coolers, fridge on this.

4.png

Time to carpet it. I used Gorilla Spray Adhesive and speaker carpet. I used one solid piece and glued half at a time. Folding the edges down over the bottom.

6.png

Used a staple gun and stapled the sides down. Also used scrap carpet to place on the 2x4's so it slides in easy and doesn't scratch things up. I also cut a piece for the front of the 2x4 not pictured.

6a.png

Wrapped the front 2x4 as well and added some tie down points. Everything fits great. Seats work up or down. Can close the tailgate just fine and the little "bump" doesn't hit anything.

7.png

Run the passenger seat all the way forward. Then flip out the rear headrest from the lowered seat and can set a full size Pillow (My Pillow brand of course) on top and it fills in that gap perfectly. So no need to build additional stuff.

7b.png

If you lift up the deck you can still access the sub floor storage. Added bonus you can prop up the platform with the sub floor lid!

8.png

Additionally if you don't need to access the sub floor you use the front 2x4 to prop up the deck allowing you to get what you need.

IMG_4580.jpeg

Everything all closed up and a storage bin held in place with the tie down points.

10.jpeg

Hope this helps! You can check out other projects I’ve done on my Bronco over here https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/meet-moon.41320/

Ive done some cool stuff in the back of it like the fold down table with charging cables, a battery bank that charges as I drive, fan, interior and exterior tailgate lighting etc…
So you mentioned not "needing" the sleeping area to be completely flat. Was that more of a personal preference or somehow with the one panel, it is flat? If I'm not mistaken, even folded down, the rear seats have a slight upward angle.

I did a similar build using 2 panels which did make it flat. Works fine but isn't as quick to use as yours and takes up more space. Using a 4" memory foam mattress so wondering if a slight angle does exist, that the mattress would absorb most of the difference.

OP
OP
SwampCactus

SwampCactus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So you mentioned not "needing" the sleeping area to be completely flat. Was that more of a personal preference or somehow with the one panel, it is flat? If I'm not mistaken, even folded down, the rear seats have a slight upward angle.

I did a similar build using 2 panels which did make it flat. Works fine but isn't as quick to use as yours and takes up more space. Using a 4" memory foam mattress so wondering if a slight angle does exist, that the mattress would absorb most of the difference.

I slept in it last week as a test. The drop is even noticeable at all. I used an LL Bean self inflating pad that's 3.5".

Sponsored

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 4Runner, ‘16 BMW 328i, ‘96 Stang GT, ‘19 Mini
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Awesome! Was looking for a project to do with my son and this is perfect. What size mattress fits?

OP
OP
SwampCactus

SwampCactus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Awesome! Was looking for a project to do with my son and this is perfect. What size mattress fits?
I've only used a backpacking sleeping pad. But should fit something close to 44" wide

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Is your build posted in a different thread? How much clear height is there underneath? I'm thinking I'd love to build one that is just high enough to slide the front roof panels under so they can sit snug and safely in there while still having storage space in the back.

CatcusGrey

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is your build posted in a different thread? How much clear height is there underneath? I'm thinking I'd love to build one that is just high enough to slide the front roof panels under so they can sit snug and safely in there while still having storage space in the back.
I haven't posted my journal but I followed this one almost to a T. This could possibly fit what you are looking for. 5.5" of height clearance and then the width of the rear. If I keep as is, will probably install drawers below to help with accessibility.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...tions-for-a-mattress-and-bedding-setup.32222/

Sponsored

CatcusGrey

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Actually sorry after reading your post again, didn't realize you want to do the roof panels! There is a middle 1*6 that runs the length of the panel, which might detail that vision. I think the plywood would sag without that support.

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Has it been fine to sleep on being that it’s not perfectly flat/even?

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Actually sorry after reading your post again, didn't realize you want to do the roof panels! There is a middle 1*6 that runs the length of the panel, which might detail that vision. I think the plywood would sag without that support.
I'm hoping to give it a try and report back to everyone. Just gotta convince people with actual hand-eye coordination to help me with the fine cuts.

dangerfoot

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dangerfoot.com
Vehicle(s)
White Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I wonder if this would work with a kicker hideaway subwoofer. Good way to keep it out of sight
Looking to do the same...revisiting some old threads for ideas and really this about nails it. 2x4 is just enough for a HS10, I think is 3.35" thick, so leaves a little breathing room.
Sponsored