Sponsored

Not ok! Dealer taking liberties with customer and charging for unnecessary "Accessory Package"

OP
OP

Go Devils

Outer Banks
First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I agree with OP.when does it end. If it's us against the stealerships, we are but one and it is not a fair fight. as a group we are strong and unbeatable. broncos are cool and stuff but are they worth giving up our principles. keep fighting for what you believe in, op. bronco6g is here.
Thanks. I appreciate the reminder that we're all in this together. One for all and all for one, right? Every new Bronco out there has one of our names on it and we have to make sure that we aren't being taken advantage of. I will keep fighting this fight, hoping to help someone else along the way avoid it altogether.

Bronco6G Community: Ask for your purchase agreement / buyer's order as soon as you place your order. If it doesn't look right, tell them you're going to change dealerships!
Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I still think that they should be more transparent about this. If it were on the lot, there would be a clear sticker on the windshield with all the fees, right? So, why not be transparent to reservation holders too? At least tell us so we are prepared!
Not necessarily. A vehicle on the lot would typically have a sticker with similar info on the DORA you might have gotten when ordering, along with the MSRP. But when negotiating to buy the lot vehicle, the sales person will try to add some of the items you mentioned, even claiming they are required to add.

The sales guy I dealt with when buying my last car off the lot, was trying to add stuff. They were very insistent on something called VIN etching. They play around hitting you with stuff - trying to up the cost and their profit. I refused to pay, and could have walked, but they took those items off.

Regardless of buying from the lot or ordering, the key negotiation should take place to agree on a selling price. The problem seems - that key negotiation is not taking place at the time of order for a lot of folks. :(

Cable Guy

Badlands
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am getting a 2022 Defender 90 next month. Its on the ship on its way from Europe now.

I put my order in on 9/28. Luckily I got in writing my MSRP price + TTT + 1k dealer fee. On 10/01 they started adding 15k ADM even on new orders.

Fast Forward to a few weeks ago. They are adding a "protection pack" to all vehicles. Its paint and interior protection. Some BS rain-X type thing on the WS and ceramic tint. I tell them I dont want it. They say its for all cars. I tell them no. It wont come off the truck like that so all you have to do is simply not do it. Their reply? .... in a more polite way.... too bad so sad. abandon it and we will sell it to someone else for 15-20k more.

Sadly, unless you truly have a great dealership (Brandon Ford is great as I await my WT), in today's market they have the upper hand.

Considering they are not adding ADM, and that I really want the rig, I decided to bend over.
At some point that upper-hand will change and theyā€™ll all be sitting there with their hands out asking for tax payers to bail their asses out again. (And, yes I know Ford didnā€™t take money last time). Capitalism is greatā€¦ what weā€™re dealing with is no longer free market capitalism. Crony BS. If they go broke. Fā€™um. Let um fold. Iā€™ll be first in line to piss on their ashes.

OP
OP

Go Devils

Outer Banks
First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Not necessarily. A vehicle on the lot would typically have a sticker with similar info on the DORA you might have gotten when ordering, along with the MSRP. But when negotiating to buy the lot vehicle, the sales person will try to add some of the items you mentioned, even claiming they are required to add.

The sales guy I dealt with when buying my last car off the lot, was trying to add stuff. They were very insistent on something called VIN etching. They play around hitting you with stuff - trying to up the cost and their profit. I refused to pay, and could have walked, but they took those items off.

Regardless of buying from the lot or ordering, the key negotiation should take place to agree on a selling price. The problem seems - that key negotiation is not taking place at the time of order for a lot of folks. :(
Yes, this does seem to be the issue -- and dealers are keen to it and taking full advantage (not all dealerships, but many). Perhaps Ford will step in and require purchase orders/buyers contracts to accompany orders? Probably not, but wishful thinking.

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That is absolute bullshit, and flat out criminal. To add those to your vehicle, without asking for your permission, and then telling you that you have no choice in the matter is so sleazy!

Once again everyone, get your signed Purchase Agreements way ahead of delivery. It will ensure this criminal behaviour can not be done to your Bronco.

Sponsored

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry you are having to deal with this. I am assuming that my dealer won't be so slimy, especially as there are about 8 competing dealerships within 70 miles of eachother*.

Suggestons:
  1. File a complaint with your local Better Business Bureau and/or Chamber of Commerce. The former usually has a process for fielding the complaint between you and the dealer. Failing that: black mark on dealer's "permanent record." Not to be a Karen here, but I have heard that businesses want to avoid demerits in the BBB
  2. Ditto State Consumer Protection Agency(ies)
  3. Negative Yelp review. *I changed dealers based on low Yelp ratings (and unsatisfactory personal phone contact)
  4. Bronco6G Hall of Shame
Tell the dealer, politely, almost apologetically--"Gee, I hate to do this, but I can't afford my kid's therapy any more......."-- you are doing all this, esp #1.
Hey RideEmCowboy,

Do not assume anything with your dealer. There have been way too many stories on this forum of people getting "bent over" because they assumed they would not have any issues.
I know I sound like a broken record, but go to your dealership and demand a signed Purchase Agreement. This will ensure no slimy tactics once your Bronco arrives.

BassMaster

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hey Brongco6G, just when I thought everything was going great. I got my VIN in November, then my build date, and now I have an estimated delivery date! Yes, this is where we have all wanted to be, right? But my salesperson at Lawley Ford in Sierra Vista just sent me my Purchase Agreement (attached below). Why would anyone want these things on a brand new soft-top Bronco? I was never informed of these extra fees and I chose this dealership because I thought they didn't charge ridiculous extra fees. When I asked if they could remove them because I don't need/want them, the head sales manager called and told me that they have such a small profit margin, they have to "make money somewhere." Isnt' that what "doc fees" are supposed to be for?

Anyone else dealt with this nonsense? Any suggestions on getting around it? I tried to change dealerships already (November 2021 case #), but no luck since Ford is so backed up on dealership transfer requests.

Bronco Purchase Order.jpg
$299 for nitrogen?
wow thatā€™s crazy. Those are all junk fees the dealer is piling on hoping you say no so they can do some crazy ADM to some idiot willing to pay it.

dfideth

Black Diamond
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 Crew, Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Found this on the BBB, is this the place in question?

Brianne B

2 stars
11/28/2020

Went to look at a truck and was informed that due to Tucson and Phoenix taking on the business model of charging required fees, that Lawley followed suit. We were told that the sticker price was, in fact, no the final price. They charged $599 for a "Karr Alarm" and $1,995 for "detail and safety" -- both listed under accessories in the full price break down. We asked if we could opt out of both and were told not. Apparently these fees used to be included in the sticker price and they were "following suite" of other dealerships. I consider this in extremely poor taste. They drag you in with the sticker price, go through the whole process and love the car, to then being told "sike! Fooled you on the price". The truck I drove was legit everything I was looking for in a truck and I had to walk away. I found a truck very similar for just a few hundred more in Tucson, but at least they were honest about the price. Would gladly give my service out of town if they continue to falsely advertise prices. (But the new cars manager is really nice. Two stars just because of her)
975a156c-e049-478e-9321-284093c99742.jpg

Lawley's Team Ford Kia Superstore Response
12/04/2020
We have reached out to Brianne B by phone and email with an attempt to gain a better understanding of her experience. Our goal is to identify problems, understand them, and make corrections to prevent situations from repeating themselves. She responded to our email but was not interested in further two-way dialogue; she indicated there was no action we could take to rectify the situation. At this point, we would just like to say that we are sorry for the way the original situation made her feel.

OP
OP

Go Devils

Outer Banks
First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Found this on the BBB, is this the place in question?

Brianne B

2 stars
11/28/2020

Went to look at a truck and was informed that due to Tucson and Phoenix taking on the business model of charging required fees, that Lawley followed suit. We were told that the sticker price was, in fact, no the final price. They charged $599 for a "Karr Alarm" and $1,995 for "detail and safety" -- both listed under accessories in the full price break down. We asked if we could opt out of both and were told not. Apparently these fees used to be included in the sticker price and they were "following suite" of other dealerships. I consider this in extremely poor taste. They drag you in with the sticker price, go through the whole process and love the car, to then being told "sike! Fooled you on the price". The truck I drove was legit everything I was looking for in a truck and I had to walk away. I found a truck very similar for just a few hundred more in Tucson, but at least they were honest about the price. Would gladly give my service out of town if they continue to falsely advertise prices. (But the new cars manager is really nice. Two stars just because of her)
Ford Bronco Not ok! Dealer taking liberties with customer and charging for unnecessary "Accessory Package" 975a156c-e049-478e-9321-284093c99742

Lawley's Team Ford Kia Superstore Response
12/04/2020
We have reached out to Brianne B by phone and email with an attempt to gain a better understanding of her experience. Our goal is to identify problems, understand them, and make corrections to prevent situations from repeating themselves. She responded to our email but was not interested in further two-way dialogue; she indicated there was no action we could take to rectify the situation. At this point, we would just like to say that we are sorry for the way the original situation made her feel.
That's it. Soon to be another complaint.

Texas Sunshine

Base
First Name
Suzann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hey Brongco6G, just when I thought everything was going great. I got my VIN in November, then my build date, and now I have an estimated delivery date! Yes, this is where we have all wanted to be, right? But my salesperson at Lawley Ford in Sierra Vista just sent me my Purchase Agreement (attached below). Why would anyone want these things on a brand new soft-top Bronco? I was never informed of these extra fees and I chose this dealership because I thought they didn't charge ridiculous extra fees. When I asked if they could remove them because I don't need/want them, the head sales manager called and told me that they have such a small profit margin, they have to "make money somewhere." Isnt' that what "doc fees" are supposed to be for?

Anyone else dealt with this nonsense? Any suggestions on getting around it? I tried to change dealerships already (November 2021 case #), but no luck since Ford is so backed up on dealership transfer requests.

Ford Bronco Not ok! Dealer taking liberties with customer and charging for unnecessary "Accessory Package" 975a156c-e049-478e-9321-284093c99742
If you have a trade in the total taxes will go down. I know that I will be charged $1495 for shipping and $800 for some BS tinting I believe the dealership I am going through is doing to all of the Broncos they get.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Go Devils

Outer Banks
First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If you have a trade in the total taxes will go down. I know that I will be charged $1495 for shipping and $800 for some BS tinting I believe the dealership I am going through is doing to all of the Broncos they get.
I decided to list my old truck on Craigslist. I expect to get much more than the dealerships are offering. Also, it now has 190k miles so it will likely get sold at auction anyways.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That "Karr Alarm" is a GPS tracker so that they can repo your car easier should you default on payments. What is secure-alert used for then?
Just BS. Also, nitrogen fill on an off-road vehicle that will often have the tires aired down for off-roading? GTFO with this BS. That right there is bullshit.

LSBronco13

Wildtrak
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Where is the dealers agreement with the reservation holder that all of these fees were ok? It doesnt exist. Everyone needs to stop blaming reservation holders that put their faith in Ford's order system only to fall pray to bad dealers.
"Fall Prey To The Dealer"? Tell that to the judge. He/She will laugh you out of the courtroom. If you can't read or make a contract get a lawyer to write one up for you or read over the dealer agreement. Who buys a $50-60K vehicle without reading and understanding the contractual agreement? Oh, some Bronco6G members.

Bituman

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S-Works Roubaix, Vassago Mooseknuckle, Turner Czar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My dealer doing same thing. Difference is, they told me from the beginning MSRP but would be adding their ā€œProtection Packageā€ which included nitrogen, window tint, door edge guards, wheel locks, paint protection, and handle protectors, $1377. I look at this like a small ADM and nothing more. Itā€™s BS, of course. They do honor X plan so Iā€™m hoping that might offset a bit of this. The only one that really bothers me is the nitrogen. Thatā€™s such a boondoggle that Iā€˜m almost insulted they try that with me. I would rather the dealer just say, ā€œweā€™re doing this stupid ass nitrogen thing that we know and you know is really worthless, we just want more of your money.ā€ Some marketing type ought to win the Nobel Prize in BS for that one. Wish they would just include something useful like a cheap set of floor mats. By the way, tell them under no circumstances to include that car alarm.
Sponsored