Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But cheap. :)

Chris
After I eat dinner I'm going to go out and run a test with my co2 tank, Viair 400p & the ARB twin because now you have me curious and wanting to know exactly how much time I spend airing up tires.

jayhawkco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Xterra Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After I eat dinner I'm going to go out and run a test with my co2 tank, Viair 400p & the ARB twin because now you have me curious and wanting to know exactly how much time I spend airing up tires.
Sounds like a plan. I think it'd be good for the masses to see the difference between my economy plan and a more refined offering.

Chris

OP
OP

Milamdj

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Versa
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the good information!

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OK after spending some time in the garage tonight, here is what I came up with:

Jeep Tires (35/12.50/15) Cooper STT Pros
Inflate from 18psi to 35psi (times include all 4 tires connecting/disconnecting and walking to next tire):
Viair 400p - 14min 8sec
CO2 tank - 5min 24sec
CO2 tank w/ InDeflate 2-tire hose system - 4min 30sec
ARB Twin - 7min 32 sec
ARB Twin w/ InDeflate 2-tire hose system - 7min 16 sec

Deflate from 35psi to 18psi (times include all 4 tires connecting/disconnecting and walking to next tire):
ARB E-Z Deflator - 5min 40 sec
Coyote Tire Deflators - 5min 12 sec
InDeflate 2-tire hose system - 7min 0 sec

Inflate:
As you can see, CO2 tank wins hands down, but take into account having refilled or swapping tanks, mounting of large tank and potentially running out of CO2 on a trip.

Viair 400p gets so dang hot after airing up tires that you can't stick it back into its bag and if you're not careful, it'll scold your hand. So while it's cooling down, you have a loose projectile in your vehicle, truck bed or trailer.

ARB twin has internal cooling fan and isn't too hot to touch, can be mounted on your vehicle (under the hood, under your seats, in the rear cargo area etc.), or in my case since I have 3 offroad vehicles - be portable in its own case.

Deflate:
Coyote Tire Deflators are a bit quicker, even though they don't completely remove the valve core like the ARB does. I like them because you literally screw one on, pull the valve and move onto the next tire and do the same. I have my Coyotes preset to 18psi and they auto shut off when they reach 18psi.

Hopefully this helps others in making decisions. Many of times, I'm airing up 6 tires (4 for tow vehicle, 2 for camper) and time adds up when doing this several times a weekend or month, especially when you have a wife and 2 dogs waiting on you and you're getting pounded with hail or drenched with rain (been there done that lol).

And by the way, I don't normally run 35psi in my jeep tires, typically run 28psi, but used 35 as an average example for someone running 35s, even though Bronco wheels are 17". I guess I could have used the camper 33x16 tires as my test. My wife's grand Cherokee runs 275/55/20 KO2s and my truck runs 35/12.50/20 MT so I wanted something with smaller wheel diameter.

Ford Bronco On board air question IMG_4662

Ford Bronco On board air question IMG_4667

Ford Bronco On board air question IMG_4666

Ford Bronco On board air question IMG_4664

Ford Bronco On board air question IMG_4665

Sponsored

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Inflate from 18psi to 35psi (times include all 4 tires connecting/disconnecting and walking to next tire):
Viair 400p - 14min 8sec
CO2 tank - 5min 24sec
ARB Twin - 7min 32 sec

Deflate from 35psi to 18psi (times include all 4 tires connecting/disconnecting and walking to next tire):

Inflate:
As you can see, CO2 tank wins hands down, but take into account having refilled or swapping tanks, mounting of large tank and potentially running out of CO2 on a trip.

Viair 400p gets so dang hot after airing up tires that you can't stick it back into its bag and if you're not careful, it'll scold your hand. So while it's cooling down, you have a loose projectile in your vehicle, truck bed or trailer.

ARB twin has internal cooling fan and isn't too hot to touch, can be mounted on your vehicle (under the hood, under your seats, in the rear cargo area etc.), or in my case since I have 3 offroad vehicles - be portable in its own case.

Deflate:
Coyote Tire Deflators are a bit quicker, even though they don't completely remove the valve core like the ARB does. I like them because you literally screw one on, pull the valve and move onto the next tire and do the same. I have my Coyotes preset to 18psi and they auto shut off when they reach 18psi.

Hopefully this helps others in making decisions. Many of times, I'm airing up 6 tires (4 for tow vehicle, 2 for camper) and time adds up when doing this several times a weekend or month, especially when you have a wife and 2 dogs waiting on you and you're getting pounded with hail or drenched with rain (been there done that lol).

And by the way, I don't normally run 35psi in my jeep tires, typically run 28psi, but used 35 as an average example for someone running 35s, even though Bronco wheels are 17". I guess I could have used the camper 33x16 tires as my test. My wife's grand Cherokee runs 275/55/20 KO2s and my truck runs 35/12.50/20 MT so I wanted something with smaller wheel diameter.

Thanks so much for doing this! Results are pretty much as I expected, although I'm surprised the EZ deflator and the Coyotes are about the same. They sure seem easier though.

The winners for me are the ARB twin and the Coyote (or similar) deflators.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks so much for doing this! Results are pretty much as I expected, although I'm surprised the EZ deflator and the Coyotes are about the same. They sure seem easier though.

The winners for me are the ARB twin and the Coyote (or similar) deflators.
The reason the Coyotes are my choice, is you screw them on, pull the pin and walk away and do other things while they're releasing the air. With the EZ Deflator, you have to crouch at each wheel and not walk away so you can monitor the psi.

Most likely my setup will be (deflate - Coyotes on tow vehicle and the Indeflate 2 tire hose setup on the trailer tires) and when airing backup I'll use the ARB twin and indeflate 2 tire hose setup. The indeflate is nice because it pressurizes the psi between the 2 tires and balances them out. So since I run different psi in the rear when towing and different psi in the trailer, I can run the 2 hose to the 2 fronts, then 2 hose to rear and then 2 hose to trailer, giving me 3 different psi.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Anyone ever used the Makita 18v inflator?

I hesitate to install an onboard air system. For the amount I'd use it I'm not willing to plunk down $1000. I'd also like to move it between trucks depending on which vehicle we are tripping in. I'm already in the Makita ecosystem and have a number of 4ah and 5ah batteries and can always just bring a charger along and run in off the inverter.

Slower system but from what I've seen you could probably re-inflate four tires on one battery in 20 minutes.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep, I removed the kit once I saw Jumper cables. I am holding out for under the hood mount.
You guys do realize this is the same ARB single compressor that you can buy and they sell under the hood mounts? I have one mounted under the hood of my jeep to power my air lockers.

On my viair, I actually have an anderson connector in place of the battery clamps and it plugs into the rear of my tow vehicles, since the tow vehicle's anderson plug is what charges the batteries in our camper.

Reason I went with the portable kit vs hard mount (under hood, under seat, rear cargo area etc.) is because I never know which vehicle I'll be hitting the trails with.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The reason the Coyotes are my choice, is you screw them on, pull the pin and walk away and do other things while they're releasing the air. With the EZ Deflator, you have to crouch at each wheel and not walk away so you can monitor the psi.
Yeah, I was thinking for a quick trip to the beach with my wife and another couple, I can toss one to each and we'll be deflated in no time.

Sponsored

thd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Camaro SS 1/LE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am really considering the VIAIR 300P which is the middle ground compromise. It is $150 and has the same components the 400P. I am just getting into off-roading and the Badlands I plan to order has 33" tires.

chrtra1

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

While the on-board air could help you out in the situation you describe. The primary purpose is not for emergencies, but for re-inflating your tires, after you air them down to do rock crawling. The 4x4 will perform better on rocks when the tire is deflated. But when you need to get back on the road, you need to air them back up.
Not just rocks, they'll do better in every off road situation, especially sand.

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I have a single ARB, 20 min or so to air up my 35's from 17 psi to 35 psi. Never failed, but not cheap.

Both places I go on sand have air stations, so I only need it whgen there is a line for air.

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Viair 400p - 14min 8sec
CO2 tank - 5min 24sec
ARB Twin - 7min 32 sec

Inflate:

Deflate:

Thanks for posting the link to this I missed it originally. I like the stats that you included. I do not really offroad now but things may change owning a Bronco. A nice compressor could always come in handy regardless. I hunt up near steamboat and the 4 wheelers that we borrow from the rancher are always going flat. Hmm, may not need the 4 wheeler after I get a Bronco :) I am leaning toward the ARB. I believe that you get what you pay for and buy once cry once.