Broncomike11

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
As the title mentions, I've had my Bronco for about a year and a half and I am finally looking to make my first upgrade (I'll withstand the jokes that come my way for waiting this long...). I'm looking to upgrade the stock tires (OBX; non-sas) to 35" ahead of the winter. I have been looking through a number of older posts on the site on best ways to do this, but with this being my first upgrade I wanted to see if those here might be able to steer me in the right direction in the case I'm making a mistake.

From what I've read, the best options to do this would involve the following:
  • Remove front crash bars in order to fit the 35" wheels. I'm overly cautious by nature so would likely replace them with the shorter crash bars included in the 4wp big tire set: https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/4-wheel-parts-big-tire-kit-62213/_/R-4WPBR-62213
  • Purchase the larger tires (debating between 315/70/17 or 305/70/18)
  • Potentially get the Ford performance tune-up kit to better handle the larger tires (my Bronco is only 2.3L)
  • Withhold on a leveling/lift kit - seems it is unnecessary if I'm not looking to do any major off-roading activity

As mentioned above, I'm seeking the advice of those on this site who have a lot of history/familiarity with this process, to steer me in the right direction or provide advice if I am overlooking anything critical.

Any help would be significantly appreciated!
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Posted in your other thread.

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I put toyo open country 315/70/17 on my 2.3 and don’t have a tune and there is plenty of power.

Fmuguira

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you ve got 17” wheels might also think about 285-75-17 tires. Nearly 34” so really only about 3/4” less height than so called 35 s ….. that only amounts to 3/8” less ground clearance ( 1/2 of tire height difference). Still very capable and in many ways kinder with mpg, driving, etc due to 1.25” or so less width !!

Now if it’s more about looks than capability the 35-12.50 has that in many peoples opinion.

ManSquatch

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Bronco, 17' F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the 7sp and did the Ford performance tune after I upgraded the tires to 35". Honestly I didn't notice a big difference with the larger size tires and the acceleration. Once I did the tune it made a huge difference. I would recommend that regardless of the tire upgrade. I also replaced the crash bars with Icon version. They were a bitch to get in, must of been about 1/16" larger than the stock ones and I had to use a sledge hammer.
Sponsored