Sponsored

Rocks caught between wheel and tire voids warranty!!!

desibull

Black Diamond
First Name
Mahesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi Y'all!
So, I am losing pressure in one of my tires and so took it to the dealer; my rig has about 5500 miles on it. When they inspected the tire they did not find any damage to it. When they then dipped it in water and noticed air bubbles they removed the tire from the wheel and found a bunch of rocks inside. They told me that those rocks have damaged the bead of the tire and that is why it is leaking. They also informed me that as that has nothing to do with the tire itself it is not something that can be covered under warranty!! I was like....huh????

Spoke to the service manage and he advised me to NOT air down when going off-roading...LOL!!! I asked him if he did any off-roading and he said no.

Not sure if any of you have come across this issue. I am surprised this happened as I air down only to between 22-25 psi which I do not think is low at all.

Anyways, I had no option but to change out the tires and pay $300. I wonder if tires from BFG and other better manufacturers have similar issues. I mean, I got this beast for off-roading and now I am wondering what I would do the next time this happens. Just hopeful it was a freak incident!!!
Sponsored

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Voids warranty? They should be giving you an award!

Ford Bronco Rocks caught between wheel and tire voids warranty!!! 1692116521202

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

OP, I think you should change the title. Maybe something like “wheels and tires not warrantied against off-road hazards”

As it’s written, I was expecting a denied warranty claim on an exploded engine due to pebbles in the tire tread

I am surprised this happened as I air down only to between 22-25 psi which I do not think is low at all.
agree. that’s bizarre

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

At the Off Road Connect, they specifically told us (the Off Roadeo guides) 25psi and that they would not recommend going lower (not a hard recommend, just that they wouldn't/can't, it's otherwise up to you). I don't know if that's a limit to what Ford considers the bead within bounds, but it seems like the bead burped or failed here and let rocks in.

I assume the two happening simultaneously means you had a rock that pushed against the sidewall at some point. Seems like it's good it got replaced before the tire failed.

I guess you'd have to prove the rocks either were already there or that they got in while within Ford's recommended tolerance for them to cover it on the service warranty. Doesn't surprise me they wouldn't.

Sponsored

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

OP, which dealer did you go to for this? SanTan? I'm in Chandler too and that's where I go, so just wondering. Thank you.

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Unsurprising.

Next time break the bead, clean up the area, and swab some bead sealer in the chewed up area.

Aaonter

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hi Y'all!
So, I am losing pressure in one of my tires and so took it to the dealer; my rig has about 5500 miles on it. When they inspected the tire they did not find any damage to it. When they then dipped it in water and noticed air bubbles they removed the tire from the wheel and found a bunch of rocks inside. They told me that those rocks have damaged the bead of the tire and that is why it is leaking. They also informed me that as that has nothing to do with the tire itself it is not something that can be covered under warranty!! I was like....huh????
!
I would bet if they just cleaned the debris from the bead and re seated it the tire would hold pressure. Jeep can have the same issues of dealers being sales man and not car people. Check reviews and find a dealer that is Ford blue oval people that understand track and offroad and always go there. Never air down, lol.

OP
OP
desibull

desibull

Black Diamond
First Name
Mahesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP, which dealer did you go to for this? SanTan? I'm in Chandler too and that's where I go, so just wondering. Thank you.
yes. San Tan.

Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I air down to 18 psi for beach sand . I can’t fathom how “rocks” enter beneath the headlock at 25 psi.

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
That's what you get for taking your truck to Satan...:devilish:
Also, your fault from taking the Bronco outside of it's designed use and purpose, the shopping center parking lot!

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have had this happen to my 90 FSB. I have boggers on steel wheels, and have gotten gritty mud (not rocks) packed in the bead causing slow leaks. I just dismounted, cleaned, and remounted, and they were fine. I was also only aired down to about 16-18 psi, but I hit some pretty nasty mud holes! Not suprised they wouldn't warranty that...and now you know why I love beadlocks!

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ask for the old parts back (tire, wheel, whatever), clean them up, lightly sand the nicks from the wheels, spray some clear over those spots, then have an independent tire shop mount it up.

Oh and I had similar happen with my my Tacoma. That’s the risk when you air down. For me it was sand in the bead. You score extra points for ROCKS, OMG!

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I can see how that would not be covered. Always air up when off-roading. That way rocks can't get inside. Wait a second.....
The warranty only covered defects...Once we start wheeling these rigs, I can see how some things wouldnt be covered. Chaulk it up to having fun!! I'd look at different tires though. KO2s won't do that. What tires do you have? I can totally see the goodyear 315s doing this. They are really soft.
Sponsored