Sponsored

Steering rack bushings cheap options and alternatives. Reviews pending!

BroncoPls!

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rivian R1S, 22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks like the RC bushings may be injection molded versus machined. Much less expensive to mass produce, but not necessarily any less quality if the molding parameters are tightly monitored.
Sponsored

V1Rotate

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Looks like the RC bushings may be injection molded versus machined. Much less expensive to mass produce, but not necessarily any less quality if the molding parameters are tightly monitored.
And this is exactly why companies that have to charge $350+ for things like this to make money have no chance. They’ve either got to get better at manufacturing and scale or move out of the way. The general public isn’t going to support you out of charity/good will forever. You’ll have to play the game

Last edited:

V1Rotate

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah let me know if those work. Maybe take a picture of one sitting in the boot to see if it fits properly.

For me it's $6 for shipping.

So basically I'm paying as much in shipping as I am in clamps and I have to order an extra clamp (3) just to meet their $5 minimum.

I mean it's not the end of the world. But to spend $15 for clamps that I don't know if they actually work... I was still waiting to see what else I could find.
Got the 9mm clamps installed on my tie rod boots. Fit perfectly.. just need to snip a little off the loose end
Ford Bronco Steering rack bushings cheap options and alternatives. Reviews pending! IMG_7412

Willhunt4food

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Firebird; 1981 CJ7; 1990 K5; 2007 Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just got done installing the drivers side and taking a break before finishing up on the passenger side. The bushing just pushed in without having to use a tool to get it in. Definitely not tight tolerances. I had more trouble with the snap ring than anything. Didn’t push in and snap like the videos. Had to use snap ring pliers to get it in. You can also see that the hole the shaft goes through doesn’t have the same gap all the way around it. I would definitely get the 9mm clamps because the 1/2” wouldn’t work good. I ended up using the original clamp. Don’t feel confident in it as I can turn the boot if I try hard. Will prob order some 9mm and change it.

IMG_7176.jpeg

Honyock

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1976 F350, 2004 S211 E500 (22 Base + manual + SAS)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Assuming there is a CAD file, someone could build a cheap hard coated aluminum mold 1+1 family tool, mold it in Acetal. Could probably charge $20ea and pay off the tool after 250 sets...

should get at least 50k shots probably cost a couple bucks a piece to have a proto shop mold them for you...

Sponsored

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Assuming there is a CAD file, someone could build a cheap hard coated aluminum mold 1+1 family tool, mold it in Acetal. Could probably charge $20ea and pay off the tool after 250 sets...

should get at least 50k shots probably cost a couple bucks a piece to have a proto shop mold them for you...
If you're talking about molds, why not just try some babbit? It's soft enough that whatever runout the housing might have would likely be addressed when the outer surface gets scraped off on the housing during install. Plus it's super easy to cast, arguably easier than lead because it pours so well, and you're still talking relatively low temps

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Got the 9mm clamps installed on my tie rod boots. Fit perfectly.. just need to snip a little off the loose end
Ford Bronco Steering rack bushings cheap options and alternatives. Reviews pending! IMG_7176
Outstanding. I spent about an hour yesterday because I found out that they make 5/16 wide clamps... But it was a dead end. They don't go big enough.

Looks like these are a winner.... Just have to figure out which place will end up being the cheapest.

Maybe @trickydick can stock up on these (as part of his kit) and sell a few Ă  la carte :)

OP
OP
mcinfantry

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
these work
They are 1.42
They look like oem
They work like oem
They replace the oem

@broncoric
Thanks! Did they clamp tightly? I measured the clamping area intended and it seemed like right at the low end of the range of that clamp.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks! Did they clamp tightly? I measured the clamping area intended and it seemed like right at the low end of the range of that clamp.
Ah ha! These are nearly exact matches...just ordered...

Ford Bronco Steering rack bushings cheap options and alternatives. Reviews pending! Screenshot_20230504_063251_Chrome

Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That should do it! I went with the McMaster-Carr clamp mainly because it ships and arrives today and it is the exact same clamping range as the OEM clamp...I had to buy a pack of 10 (but it cost less than ordering the minimum order from belmetric and the shipping).

Willhunt4food

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Firebird; 1981 CJ7; 1990 K5; 2007 Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Passenger side bushing did have to be knocked in but didn’t take a lot of force. I think they will do their intended job so overall I’m happy with the RC bushings. Can’t beat the price for some added insurance.
For installation tip just watch the tie rod end going into spindle. Mine started spinning and had to hold the shaft and use open end wrench to tighten it. Most videos just use an impact. 46 ft/lbs

scotman623

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy LT Trail boss
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can someone please answer this question? Why does one company say/ sell only the bushing for the driver’s side and the other company sell the bushing for Drivers and passengers side? It just doesn’t make sense to me.. Thanks for answering my dumb question.. Scott

V1Rotate

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Can someone please answer this question? Why does one company say/ sell only the bushing for the driver’s side and the other company sell the bushing for Drivers and passengers side? It just doesn’t make sense to me.. Thanks for answering my dumb question.. Scott
It’d be harder to sell their passenger side housing if people thought a bushing was enough? Maybe. Other possibilities include one company’s manufacturing process and scale is so bad they’d have to charge $700 if you want both bushings
Sponsored

Last edited: