Sponsored

Swaybar disconnect. Worth the upgrade to badlands?

jtzako

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Depends on what you will do with your Bronco. If you do rock crawling / tippy stuff then yes. If not, then maybe not.
Sponsored

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

going to echo what others have said. rock crawling and extreme offroad, yes. everything else, no.

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Sport, Carbon 65, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
For me I think it’s a must even if only used once or twice a year. Lots of other good upgrades on badlands like suspension

Xodric

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Manitoba, Canada ( Born/Raised in Kansas )
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco XLT, 1979 F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wife wanted me to get the Black Diamond, I told her Badlands with the sb disco is a must. Trails in Canada can get pretty crazy. Can't wait to take it out on the trails!

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I’m pretty sure it reconnects at 20mph. I can’t find the source but will update with a link as soon as I find it.

You bring up a good point about improving the ride quality over bumpy trails. Hopefully ford allows us to somehow cancel the reconnect.
20-30 mph would be a pretty reasonable limit.

For safety reasons, Ford can't have people going down roads at regular diving speeds with a swaybar disconnected.

Aftermarket tuning would perhaps be able to raise a re-connect speed. Tazer JL does a good job off offering JL owners more control over their lockers and sway bars. For example, you can disconnect the swaybar in 2WD, but I think it still reconnects at 30mph.

Sponsored

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Does anyone know at what speed the Front and Rear lockers engage/disengage? Might be fair to assume the sway disconnect is the same speed?
This will be interesting to see as well. Because with some GOAT modes it will lock the diffs for you.

For example: The Mud mode will supposedly lock the diffs (if you have them) and switch to 4-hi. Wheels speeds can be high going through some mud. I would hate for my lockers to unlock as I'm trying to keep wheelspeed up to keep the tire tread clean.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This will be interesting to see as well. Because with some GOAT modes it will lock the diffs for you.

For example: The Mud mode will supposedly lock the diffs (if you have them) and switch to 4-hi. Wheels speeds can be high going through some mud. I would hate for my lockers to unlock as I'm trying to keep wheelspeed up to keep the tire tread clean.
I hate when vehicles automatically re-engage traction and/or stability control at certain wheel speeds, which leads to cutting power / wheel speed.

The traction nannies re-engaging when you are trying to climb a sand dune, get out of a mud hole, or even get up your icy driveway can be a huge pain. In those situations, I don't want the vehicle to make any decisions for me, whether it is lockers, sway bars, or traction aids. I want the vehicle to do what I tell it.

My last truck that I took off road was a 2008, with basically no electronic interventions, not even traction control. It had a dash light to tell me that I did not have tire pressure sensors installed, but that's about it.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I hate when vehicles automatically re-engage traction and/or stability control at certain wheel speeds, which leads to cutting power / wheel speed.

The traction nannies re-engaging when you are trying to climb a sand dune, get out of a mud hole, or even get up your icy driveway can be a huge pain. In those situations, I don't want the vehicle to make any decisions for me, whether it is lockers, sway bars, or traction aids. I want the vehicle to do what I tell it.
I agree 100%.

When I'm at the dragstrip in my F-150 I have to remove the ABS fuse so I can do a proper burnout. Even if I turn traction control off and Advance trac off is re engages when wheelspeed hits a certain limit. It's super annoying.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I agree 100%.

When I'm at the dragstrip in my F-150 I have to remove the ABS fuse so I can do a proper burnout. Even if I turn traction control off and Advance trac off is re engages when wheelspeed hits a certain limit. It's super annoying.
As excited as I am about the Bronco, part of me does not want to take any modern vehicle off road. Does anybody remember how several Colorado ZR2s deployed their side curtain air bags when owners were driving off road? I have not been following those closely lately, but I know they did release an updated calibration for that. It was not any fun for the first few owners that had that problem, as GM was not quick to offer any help.

Sponsored

Bronco_CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TIE Fighter
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Did a google search and didn’t see any real options for aftermarket front sway bar disconnects for the Ranger. Plenty of options for the Wrangler, though with SFA probably easier to engineer than for IFS. More than likely not springing for a Badlands. Here’s to hoping the aftermarket provides some solutions!

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Did a google search and didn’t see any real options for aftermarket front sway bar disconnects for the Ranger. Plenty of options for the Wrangler, though with SFA probably easier to engineer than for IFS. More than likely not springing for a Badlands. Here’s to hoping the aftermarket provides some solutions!
I think it may be more challenging to keep the sway bar ends out of the way on an IFS vehicle once the end links are disconnected. I can't think of any other reason disconnect kits are not more commontly available for Tacoma, 4 Runner, Ranger, Zr2, and other popular IFS off road vehicles.

Is anybody able to enlighten me here?

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am going to order the badlands squatch. It will be the wife’s car and I want her to have the best ride quality and gadgets to get her out of any mess. If I was getting one I would probably get the base 2 door with squatch. I would then remove the sway bar and stow it in the attic. I have an 08 Fj cruiser and took the front sway bar off and I had to change how i corner but it was worth it. I have seen a lot of sway bars break or the links break and jam into the cv boots making a huge mess. I would not remove the rear sway bar as you will end up with springs popping out not to mention it really getting squirrely.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Does anyone know at what speed the Front and Rear lockers engage/disengage? Might be fair to assume the sway disconnect is the same speed?
I have an elecrical rear locking option one in my F150 it depends on terrain mode. its 25 in 4H/4A and 62 in 4L which I have never tried lol

DonsBronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I am going to install a rear aftermarket sway bar
Sponsored