Quest

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I will be putting SAS takeoffs onto my non-SAS and wanted to ask a few questions.
The takeoffs came off a 2022 Badlands SAS 4-Door 2.7 w/trailer package and mine is a 2023 BD non-SAS 4-Door 2.7 w/o trailer package.

1. How important is it to replace the various nuts when doing this? The takeoffs I received have almost all of them included and I have my base hardware as well. I intend to do so either way, but want to ask in case I end up a nut or two short somehow during installation.

2. Replacing the nuts, it looks like I should get.
12x W520213-S440
4x W717969-S440

The dealer site photo seems to indicate that W520213 is 2 nuts per and W717969 is 4 per, is that correct? So I would order 6x W520213-S440 and 1x W717969-S440.

3. Would I not also want to replace the nut for the lower rear mount? W719178-S440?

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just a heads up for folks...

@MNBigfoot made me aware of this thread in another thread. (Thanks!)

The spring part numbers in the cookbook appear to not be 100% correct—either that or Ford's Ecat database is incorrect (wouldn't be the first time).

The spring that gets installed in the Bronco does not seem to be dependent on whether you have the tow package or not. As far as I can tell, the tow package has little (if any) bearing on which spring is installed on the vehicle. The determining factor seems to be the vehicle's curb weight, but that's just some speculation on my part.

For example, the spreadsheet lists the 2-door 2.3L automatic non-tow MB3Z-5560-A, while the same vehicle with the tow package has MB3Z-5560-F.

Yet here are handful of VINs of 2-door 2.3L 10spd Broncos without the tow package that also have the "F" spring:
  • PLA86518
  • MLA62219
  • PLB21584
  • NLB02578

kuee95

Base
First Name
Carsten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have been searching FB Marketplace for shocks and springs but I run into part numbers that I can not reference in the information above in this thread. Some of the part numbers I am unable to find on Ford Parts searches also.
Am I using the information in this post incorrectly? What am I missing?

Sponsored

mdk100

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911, Cayenne, BMW X3e, 2 door BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a 2 door Basesquatch with 2.3/auto. I swapped the bumpers from plastic to stock steel, modular up front. Also added stock skid plate kit (Thanks, @flip !). It definitely seems to have settled, particularly up front.

Since I added an extended warranty from Granger, I’m a little leery of modifying anything. I was thinking springs off a Badlands or Black Diamond might be stiffer from the factory to compensate for the extra weight. The cookbook suggests they’re the same springs. I’m not sure how they get similar ride heights for different curb weights if that’s the case.

Would it be possible to compare the spring part numbers for the Basesquatch vs BL or BD Squach if we had a couple of VINs?

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a 2 door Basesquatch with 2.3/auto. I swapped the bumpers from plastic to stock steel, modular up front. Also added stock skid plate kit (Thanks, @flip !). It definitely seems to have settled, particularly up front.

Since I added an extended warranty from Granger, I’m a little leery of modifying anything. I was thinking springs off a Badlands or Black Diamond might be stiffer from the factory to compensate for the extra weight. The cookbook suggests they’re the same springs. I’m not sure how they get similar ride heights for different curb weights if that’s the case.

Would it be possible to compare the spring part numbers for the Basesquatch vs BL or BD Squach if we had a couple of VINs?
I will be selling a set of 2 door Badlands shocks and springs (2.7) here in the very near future. I love how it rides, but I ended up getting an amazing deal on a set of Eibach Pro Truck 2.0 coilovers, so I am probably going to try out a set of 35's or 37's.

To answer your question, yes, if you have the VINs you can compare the spring numbers through Ford's parts counter.

mdk100

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
So here’s what I found. These are for different trims with Sasquatch, 2dr, and 2.3/auto.

My current Base springs:

Front - MB3Z5310A
Rear - MB3Z5560A

Badlands/Black Diamond (I checked both, same part #s):

Front - MB3Z5310J
Rear - MB3Z5560F

Not as cheap as I’d hoped. List would be about $700 for the springs, plus installation. I’m not sure it’s something I’d have the tools or experience to tackle. Has anyone done this? Any thought whether my logic holds up, that it would improve ride height?

Last edited:
OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Not as cheap as I’d hoped. List would be about $700 for the springs, plus installation. I’m not sure it’s something I’d have the tools or experience to tackle. Has anyone done this? Any thought whether my logic holds up, that it would improve ride height?
Not having the tools or knowledge to change coil springs is a sure recipe for a trip to the emergency room, please don't try this yourself.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Truck coil springs can be, and have been, deadly for people who have never tackled them before. Even in lightweight cars, they are rather dangerous. If this is your first rodeo have some who has experience working with you... Regardless, have someone nearby who can call 911 in case something happens (like unexpected equipment failure). It doesn't matter how much experience you have if your equipment fails, you're not going to like the experience.

Never be in the direct path of the springs energy and have some basic safety gear.

Also, make sure you factor in your deductible on your health insurance policy, before thinking about how much money you are saving... LOL.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah as both @mpeugeot and @North7 said… they can be extremely dangerous.

I won’t go as far to say that you should not do it. But if you decide to try it… take precautions and if possible work with someone who has done it before.

I will say that I personally have done it several times and never had an issue, but the first 2-3 times was with my father looking over my shoulder and correcting me. Even now with experience I wouldn’t be willing to do springs from larger vehicles without a proper spring compressor and a safety cage.

But I have done a Ranger before and probably would do a Bronco. (I ain’t touching those SuperDuty springs though, those things have death written all over them.)

mdk100

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yeah, I’m convinced it’s a job for an expert. That said, should these different springs make a difference in stance, as I’m expecting? I’m going to try and measure mine vs a local Badlands. I’d hate to spend the dollars and not see a difference.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yeah, I’m convinced it’s a job for an expert. That said, should these different springs make a difference in stance, as I’m expecting? I’m going to try and measure mine vs a local Badlands. I’d hate to spend the dollars and not see a difference.
It’s definitely noticeable, but it's about an inch or so on my Bronco. Definitely butched it up.

Ford Bronco The Definitive Guide to 2021+ Bronco Ride & Lift Heights with Wheel & Tire Sizes received_1670734536661668

Ford Bronco The Definitive Guide to 2021+ Bronco Ride & Lift Heights with Wheel & Tire Sizes IMG_20221006_185615

Bellime

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Saving for future upgrade.