First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor, Bronco Wildtrak, Maverick, Tesla M3
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I have a 2dr HOSS 3.0 WT and gonna lift 2” with Foutz Perch Collars to fit 37” BFG’s. Is there a consensus on when to add UCA’s when lifting the WT/Sasquatch? I’ve heard anything over 2” needs new UCA’s is that accurate? I’ll be right at 2” and will eventually get UCA’s but want to lift sooner lol
Sponsored

Mystery

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hi All, newbie to 6G because I need some help understanding the shock upgrade situation.
and google brought me to this thread.

I have a 2.3L AT 4 door soft top with tow package that I just put on a set of Base Bronco SAS 2.7L AT 4 door Hardtop no tow package shock on.

On my ride home from the shop that did the install and alignment I was getting a lot of shimmy in the steering wheel. I don't have enough miles on it yet but can say that it seemed to come and go and at low speed (35 mph) as well as higher speed like 65mph. Would this be a side effect that you guys are warning about in the spring discussion?

I have the modular bumper, added aftermarket gas tank skid, a-arm skids, rear shock and rear control arm skids, rear diff skid, and am running a set of stock Bad lands wheels with the BFG KO2 tires.

I am grateful for any thoughts here as I thought SAS take offs would give me some improvement over stock hitachi shocks along with lift.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hi All, newbie to 6G because I need some help understanding the shock upgrade situation.
and google brought me to this thread.

I have a 2.3L AT 4 door soft top with tow package that I just put on a set of Base Bronco SAS 2.7L AT 4 door Hardtop no tow package shock on.

On my ride home from the shop that did the install and alignment I was getting a lot of shimmy in the steering wheel. I don't have enough miles on it yet but can say that it seemed to come and go and at low speed (35 mph) as well as higher speed like 65mph. Would this be a side effect that you guys are warning about in the spring discussion?

I have the modular bumper, added aftermarket gas tank skid, a-arm skids, rear shock and rear control arm skids, rear diff skid, and am running a set of stock Bad lands wheels with the BFG KO2 tires.

I am grateful for any thoughts here as I thought SAS take offs would give me some improvement over stock hitachi shocks along with lift.
I wouldn't say that ride quality on the road improves over the Hitachi shocks, as a matter of fact, I think that the highway road handling is better with this Hitachi shocks. That said, I think that the Bilsteins are better off-road and when dealing with uneven road conditions (like severe potholes).

I would start with going through everything looking for any loose or improperly torqued bolts, then I would have a proper alignment done with both before and after readings. If that doesn't fix the problem then you are looking at rims/tires that are out of balance or out of spec.

Mystery

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I wouldn't say that ride quality on the road improves over the Hitachi shocks, as a matter of fact, I think that the highway road handling is better with this Hitachi shocks. That said, I think that the Bilsteins are better off-road and when dealing with uneven road conditions (like severe potholes).

I would start with going through everything looking for any loose or improperly torqued bolts, then I would have a proper alignment done with both before and after readings. If that doesn't fix the problem then you are looking at rims/tires that are out of balance or out of spec.
Thanks for the response Mark! I think I will unfortunately take it to my Ford Dealer because they are closest to where I live versus the shop that did the work that I chose because they have modded so many Broncos. I have an appointment for Friday. The shop gave me a print out indicating they did an alignment that shows before and after results so it will be interesting to compare what the Ford Dealer sees on an alignment check with the print out the shop gave me.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
With all these comments about needing spring rates and other details, I'm shocked they haven't shown up yet. I understand people like just to pick a lift and let the manufacturer give you whatever spring rate they like (likely linear). But if we want this thread to really have the tech and be complete, we need stock spring rates, spring height, and wire sizes. Picking springs by the lift is either going to have too high of a rate or undershoot as they have to make assumptions about what you've added to your vehicle.

Have we been able to get any more clarity on the springs?

For example spring rates/lengths, or even a listing by GVWR for what springs might go with which configurations?

I would be more than happy to put together a collection of VINs by various trims/suspension/engine/GVWRs if we could better identify which springs are likely to be used with various configurations.
I do not have a list of spring codes by model. There are a ton of different combos depending on the model and options. I think I've got most of the combos mapped for BL and SAS suspensions.

The list was posted with the service part number as well as the engineering number. If you look at the tag on your spring the letter should match up with the last letter of the engineering number. Good chance a chassis engineer at Ford has a spring rate chart for each number or fitment guide.
Any chance we could get the HOSS 3.0 data added to this “cookbook”? I’m curious how adding it to my Badlands would change things. Also, I’m curious to see the spring rate comparison.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Funny this has come up again. Just did a big update to the suspension cook book yesterday and was going to find the thread to post it to.

Caveats.....When I did V1 of the list it was primarily '21 model vehicles with a couple of '22s. Many part numbers have changed and will continue to evolve as new models come out. I'm not going to go in every day and try to put the most recent data in there because it's too time consuming. The first number in the cell is the service part number (what you'd give the parts department to order), followed by the date range that part number went into service (or discontinued) followed by the engineering number (likely found on the tag attached to a part or stamped into the part itself).

Much of the data is based on VIN numbers supplied by members with differing models and equipment. Not every permutation is listed, especially when we get to HOSS or Warthog. If the last column doesn't have a VIN, the part numbers were derived from what is currently loaded in Microcat's catalogue. If a cell is blank, I either couldn't find it, wasn't available at the time, too lazy to beg for a VIN to look it up in HVBOM or HVBOM was down.

Last set is all of the spring part numbers with engineering numbers in the current catalogue.

One thing I forgot to mention, shock and spring prices have gone waaaaaaay up.
@flip You don't happen to know what shocks/springs are on the Everglades, do you?

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@flip You don't happen to know what shocks/springs are on the Everglades, do you?
Really need a VIN to be sure but my guess is SAS for a 2.3, might use a different front spring to account for the winch but no great way to be sure short of the VIN.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Really need a VIN to be sure but my guess is SAS for a 2.3, might use a different front spring to account for the winch but no great way to be sure short of the VIN.
1FMEE5DH5NLB48182

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Standard 2.3 SAS setup.

Front shock MB3Z-18124-K
Front spring MB3Z-5310-N
Rear shock NB3Z-18125-C
Rear spring NB3Z-5560-E

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Standard 2.3 SAS setup.

Front shock MB3Z-18124-K
Front spring MB3Z-5310-N
Rear shock NB3Z-18125-C
Rear spring NB3Z-5560-E
I appreciate it sir.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Standard 2.3 SAS setup.

Front shock MB3Z-18124-K
Front spring MB3Z-5310-N
Rear shock NB3Z-18125-C
Rear spring NB3Z-5560-E
So interestingly, I have the following on my current Bronco:

F Shock 18124-D
F Spring 5310-K
R Shock 18125-D
R Spring 5560-F

My girlfriend has the stock Hitachi setup on a nearly identical Bronco, and I found a Everglades take-off set at a reasonable price. The victim (Girlfriends) vehicle is a non-sasquatch 2 door OBX 2.7 advanced 4x4 with tow.

It will be interesting to see how it will ride with an Everglades suspension. Any predictions?

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So interestingly, I have the following on my current Bronco:

F Shock 18124-D
F Spring 5310-K
R Shock 18125-D
R Spring 5560-F

My girlfriend has the stock Hitachi setup on a nearly identical Bronco, and I found a Everglades take-off set at a reasonable price. The victim (Girlfriends) vehicle is a non-sasquatch 2 door OBX 2.7 advanced 4x4 with tow.

It will be interesting to see how it will ride with an Everglades suspension. Any predictions?
Meh. I've got 6112s on my '23 and like it a lot more than the OEM setup. Haven't driven my brothers 3.0 WT for comparison.

It's going to be a stiffer ride, no pun intended, going from the standard suspension to the Bilsteins. Does she like how it handles in the stock configuration?

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Meh. I've got 6112s on my '23 and like it a lot more than the OEM setup. Haven't driven my brothers 3.0 WT for comparison.

It's going to be a stiffer ride, no pun intended, going from the standard suspension to the Bilsteins. Does she like how it handles in the stock configuration?
She's bitten by the bug to off-road and her work commute is 5 mins. I was thinking about the 6112s for her build as an alternative.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you take $$ out of the picture, not needing super high end suspension, 6112s ride well and give you more lift over the SAS.
Sponsored