Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4 Door Black Diamond Sasquatch V6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I mean, it's a risk you're taking with any new vehicle. Have good insurance that way if it's stolen, you can get another one. Don't park it in shady areas. Don't leave valuables inside of it. Park in your garage at night. Really, just use common sense. If someone wants it bad enough, they're going to get it regardless of what you do. Just lower the opportunities people have to do so.
Sponsored

mjcutri

Heritage
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco HE
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

thenewjs

Raptor
First Name
Archie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

After my 2001 Sierra C3 was stolen years ago, I installed an older inside the center console after it was recovered. It was stolen again and cops recovered it within the hour using find my phone.

Technology so advanced compared to then, there are a lot more options.

Prkelly

Badlands
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Add Lockable Stainless Steel Roof Rack Straps for any Roof Top Boxes you might have.

Namrekcad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota, xt4, Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Base
“Technology so advanced compared to then, there are a lot more options.”

More than likely you can buy chips to hide in car,doors,hard top sections that send information to your phone that the car or part are moving from waypoint.

Sponsored

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Many have mentioned their own home-baked kill switch ideas, but Ravelco is proven. It isn't that expensive and it works.
The best, only way to steal it is with a wrecker. As for not being expensive I think $700+ is a bit much for what is basically a systems interlock plug, but saying that I had one on my Vette and will get one installed on the Bronco as I plan on having the doors off most of the time.

ScrunchFace

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There are so many ways a criminal can violate you, steal from you, hurt you.
One can barely devise enough scenarios in which they can effectively protect themselves.

And the reality is that you and your car are much safer parked than when driving. Over 3 million people a year are injured in auto accidents, compared to about 750k auto thefts.

I just can't let myself worry about this stuff too much, especially not enough to shoot somebody over a damn car. That is craziness.
Someone actually speaking sense for once👏

HCGxKaLiBeR

Wildtrak
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
A lock only keeps honest people out. Best way to prevent theft or vandalism is common sense. Don't park it in bad areas or at least keep the top on. Park in a smart or safe place if you don't have a garage.

Zap74

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-3. Volkswagen Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here in some parts of Dirty Jerzy, they steal your catalytic converter. I think I should drop my Bronco so they can’t get it!

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Here in some parts of Dirty Jerzy, they steal your catalytic converter. I think I should drop my Bronco so they can’t get it!
San francisco got a sandwich parked and watched crooks drive down street while guy walking looked in cars for goodies !

Dont bring your bronco here☹

Sponsored
OP
OP
jasony2069

jasony2069

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm going to have my Bronco placed underwater each evening, with a bunch of electrical eels swimming in the cab.

Not really. What's a thief going to do with a Bronco, part it out? For what? So you've got a bunch of parts for a vehicle that almost no one needs parts for.

It's much more economical to steal a pickup truck with a 5.0L, 5.3L/5.4L or 5.7L that's been used since the sixties. Where are you going to sell a fender for a vehicle that's hardly been out, or an LED headlamp assembly. You'll be sitting on parts for years, until the vehicles are in enough accidents that people need used parts.

My girlfriend had a Chevy Caprice from the 80s or 90s that was stolen. When reported to the cops they said, well, the car has been made since the mid-sixties. It was one of the most popular cars in the sixties and seventies. The motor has been used in almost every model GM/Chevy vehicle for thirty years. That car was completely disassembled and sold in hours.

A vehicle that just came out has no market for used parts. People might steal it for a joy-ride, but that doesn't make it ripe for thieves. Another answer looking for a question.
It’s the joyride that concerns me the most, replacing anything early on will be a nightmare as limited stock make it challenging for repairs.

I might have a killswitch installed (like https://nohotwire.com) if I start hearing about lots of stolen Broncos. I won't bother with extra alarm, nobody pays attention to that and most thefts are smash and grab anyway, over in seconds.
I'm not sure what benefit a 24/7 recording camera would have except you get a picture of the thief, maybe he gets caught then, probably not. It didn't prevent the theft and damage in the first place though.

It will be new to me to have an open car again (my wife had a Miata many years ago), but I don't have anything of value in my current truck either (except the dash cam), if a thief wants something they'll get it. Locked doors or not makes no difference, often they don't even check if the door is locked, window poppers are fast and quiet.

I will install some kind of lockbox somewhere for smaller things like tools and pocket knife and the registration (or any other paper with my actual name and address on it), the 'lockable' compartments we get from the factory are probably pretty laughable as security.
Definitely installing a lockbox, I have already started to research them. If a thief wants the vehicle they’re gonna get it. The question is can we deter them in anyway.

TomH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How are we going to handle theft prevention, we all know that when they first hit the road and for at least the first year or two they'll be super unique vehicles, getting a lot of attention, most of it really good but regrettably some of it not so.

The Jeep owners have been facing this challenge since at least 1940, lol, they have some pretty good experience. It would be good to understand what they have found successful and then formulate a strategy, I’m sure you're out there please share, keep me from making the mistakes that would cost money and the Bronco.

I'll be running it commando for as many months of the year as I can. Can't spend all my days worrying about it being there when I get back.
  • What additional Security will we need over and above what comes with the vehicle?
  • What type of kill switch? Should I even install a kill switch? I had one in my CJ5 back in the 80s, but the car is a neanderthal compared to today's vehicles.
  • Steering wheel and pedal locks are just not going to cut it against today's thieves.
  • Installing an additional alarm feel so old school, haven't needed one, so I'm out of touch, what do you think?
With the Bronco having so much technology built in what do you have in mind?

Jason
2 Door, Black Diamond in Area 51, Timestamp: 7/13/2020 at 21:42
Insurance

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
People on the forum have been thinking that you can use one of the aux switches as an ignition kill switch.

I have no plans on utilizing all of the aux switches so if this is possible, this will be my plan.
Those switches will be the first they try, when they can't start it. Now if you had to switch 3 or more on in a certain order--that might work.