Sponsored

Thinking about ordering a 392...talk me out of it!

OP
OP

chris_rosen

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Color? She had to have snazzberry. Thankfully, when I placed the order tuscadero pink wasn’t out yet. I had my VIN the next day.
I struggled with my color selection…didn’t think the options were that great. I almost went with Sarge Green but ended up choosing Sting-Gray. I’m not sure how that will look with the bronze accents. Snazzberry - you’re brave! I placed my order last Thursday and got my VIN yesterday.
Sponsored

SHOtruck

Outer Banks
First Name
TOM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' Taurus SHO 22' Lincoln Navigator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Current vehicle is a 20 Raptor and I pushed my reservation to MY22 for the Bronco. Then I decided I might as well wait for the Warthog version, but I’m thinking that won’t be until MY23. I have an issue with patience so now I’m considering the Rubicon 392. I’ve owned many Jeeps (5 altogether (3 Wranglers)) so I’m familiar with their product. Anyone have any advice?
Worse gas mileage. No power seats, no heated seats, no adaptive cruise control, black seats are hot in the sun, must take hardtop and store when using soft top, overweight, $30,000 more out of your wallet.
Otherwise, a great car.

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I struggled with my color selection…didn’t think the options were that great. I almost went with Sarge Green but ended up choosing Sting-Gray. I’m not sure how that will look with the bronze accents. Snazzberry - you’re brave! I placed my order last Thursday and got my VIN yesterday.
It’s for my wife, it doesn’t look too bad. It’s way better than the pink they came out with.

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Worse gas mileage. No power seats, no heated seats, no adaptive cruise control, black seats are hot in the sun, must take hardtop and store when using soft top, overweight, $30,000 more out of your wallet.
Otherwise, a great car.
Gas mileage is the same imagine that. It does have adaptive cruise and depending on what the op chose he can have a sky one touch modular roof.

FATHORSE

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Current vehicle is a 20 Raptor and I pushed my reservation to MY22 for the Bronco. Then I decided I might as well wait for the Warthog version, but I’m thinking that won’t be until MY23. I have an issue with patience so now I’m considering the Rubicon 392. I’ve owned many Jeeps (5 altogether (3 Wranglers)) so I’m familiar with their product. Anyone have any advice?
Go for it!

Sponsored

rutherk1

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4 door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My neighbor just got a 392 rubi. It's sitting on what looks like 36 or 37s.

Sounds like it has some power.

If I wasnt such a ford idiot, I'd be in one. Not sure why ford can't put some beef under the hood. The new 7.3 is a nice compact motor and would kick ass in the Bronco.

If you are't stuck on having a Ford, go for it!

omega145

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Recon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
fuel costs are not really that big a deal compared to the Bronco, it is rated at 18 MPG highway, just like SQ's and BL's. A reasonable V8 in a Bronco could very well do better on fuel (for all you naysayers on a V8 Bronco).
The Wrangler 392 gets 14 MPG city while some who have test driven it say they are getting 12. There is no V8 Bronco and the Warthog should be a 3.0 V6TT so not sure why bringing up a V8 Bronco is relevant. If I had the 75K+ to spend on it then I wouldn't care about the fuel costs per se but I added the comment of purchase price + fuel for those who are going to be using it at as a daily driver and spending that extra roughly 2K+ a year on fuel costs.

SHOtruck

Outer Banks
First Name
TOM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Otherwise, a great car.

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Looks fucking great!
Good choice.
(this is not mine, sadly).
Ford Bronco Thinking about ordering a 392...talk me out of it! 1626894981438

SHOtruck

Outer Banks
First Name
TOM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My neighbor just got a 392 rubi. It's sitting on what looks like 36 or 37s.

Sounds like it has some power.

If I wasnt such a ford idiot, I'd be in one. Not sure why ford can't put some beef under the hood. The new 7.3 is a nice compact motor and would kick ass in the Bronco.

If you are't stuck on having a Ford, go for it!
In a word, driveline. Engineering puts a lot of time into building parts and destroying them. In the Sharonville transmission plant, for example, they have a steep grade built out of cement specifically to load up and break transmissions/drivelines. The broken parts are dissected in the lab and analyzed for mechanical properties. Metal chemistry, heat treat depths, loads, temperature, and many more factors are considered before building 2 or 3 hundred thousand of something and turning it over to the public.
Sorry I digress. Putting a 7.3 with more torque into a driveline designed AND TESTED for a 2.7 could and would be a warranty nightmare. FCA uses heavier components and fits them into smaller packages, which saves money on development time, but as witnessed here, gives you bad gas mileage and emissions. It's not just as simple as adding a big V-8. Every component in a complex AWD driveline has to be considered also. The Asians have been making underpowered cars since forever to keep warranty cost down, selling reliability as their mantra. Every automaker struggles with this 'teeter-totter' daily in Quality meetings across the globe.
SHOTRUCK

Sponsored

rutherk1

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In a word, driveline. Engineering puts a lot of time into building parts and destroying them. In the Sharonville transmission plant, for example, they have a steep grade built out of cement specifically to load up and break transmissions/drivelines. The broken parts are dissected in the lab and analyzed for mechanical properties. Metal chemistry, heat treat depths, loads, temperature, and many more factors are considered before building 2 or 3 hundred thousand of something and turning it over to the public.
Sorry I digress. Putting a 7.3 with more torque into a driveline designed AND TESTED for a 2.7 could and would be a warranty nightmare. FCA uses heavier components and fits them into smaller packages, which saves money on development time, but as witnessed here, gives you bad gas mileage and emissions. It's not just as simple as adding a big V-8. Every component in a complex AWD driveline has to be considered also. The Asians have been making underpowered cars since forever to keep warranty cost down, selling reliability as their mantra. Every automaker struggles with this 'teeter-totter' daily in Quality meetings across the globe.
SHOTRUCK
haha. Yes. I am completely aware of that. The statement about why Ford can’t do that included the actual engineering/research/materials science/testing. Can you imagine if they simply dropped a 7.3 in with this Ford Explorer transmission behind it. :)

SHOtruck

Outer Banks
First Name
TOM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
haha. Yes. I am completely aware of that. The statement about why Ford can’t do that included the actual engineering/research/materials science/testing. Can you imagine if they simply dropped a 7.3 in with this Ford Explorer transmission behind it. :)
As a hot-rodder in those meetings I regularly locked horns with bean counters. The Engineers drove built Mustangs and Raptors, the Finance department drove base Focuses. Exaggerated, but fundamentally true.

rutherk1

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As a hot-rodder in those meetings I regularly locked horns with bean counters. The Engineers drove built Mustangs and Raptors, the Finance department drove base Focuses. Exaggerated, but fundamentally true.
Absolutely. You can tell that the “bean counters” drove the production of the Bronco. All the plastic is so thin. All of the places Ford usually uses exterior Tesa tape, we have interior tesa tape. Even when compared to my sons bronco sport, the big bronco feels super cheap. The bronco sport has a nice hard foam dashboard. On mine, the interior dash panels feel like I could poke a hole through it with my pinky. I had the dash out and all of the HVAC plumbing isn’t secured to anything, it’s just wrapped in sticky back open cell foam tape so it won’t rattle. You can grab it and move it around. Lots of penny pinch design decisions were made. I like the truck but you can really tell that quality wasn’t a big focus this time around. The entire truck just feels fragile.

</endrant> back on topic.

peterh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler jlu 2018
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I guess the only reason I can think of is that you have a chance to do something different - I love the wrangler and have had three myself. if the bronco never came out and i wasn't able to get a good offer from Chapman that had a limited window, I probably would have waited several years to jump into a Bronco - but when you combine the offer with the vehicle, was a no brainer for me to switch

Jwall

Base
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This thing with the recon package is pretty badass, but it is literally 2x the price of the base Sasquatch that i have ordered. I can’t spend that kind of money for an off road rig…I’m just a peasant, lol.

F862864A-DDB0-4F5A-90B3-0CE42CD6A5BB.png
Sponsored