Pressurized

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So, you're just really into waiting a long time for your vehicles huh? They announced a couple weeks ago this vehicles production was delayed indefinitely.
Well, like I said above, I've got 5 now in a house of 2... So it's more of buying what I want and like than what I need at this point. The delays you mentioned have already been taken in to account. The truck is in production and deliveries are expected next month and the Launch Edition SUV in January. But yeah, new stuff takes time... I'm more surprised about the difficulty that Ford has had with the Bronco, it's not like it's their first rodeo... ;)
Sponsored

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I kinda like it and have been following for quite some time. The issue I see with this one as well as the others is that although they may have a high tow rating, actually towing will kill the range. So that 300 mile range then becomes 100 miles towing. Not really practical in the real world.

UZJBronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If anyone’s interested MotorTrend took the R1T cross country and did some off roading along the way. Also looks like they are doing a YouTube video series of it.

Article

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If anyone’s interested MotorTrend took the R1T cross country and did some off roading along the way. Also looks like they are doing a YouTube video series of it.

Article
I hope they review the overlander-prepped gasoline generator trailer they’ll need to tow for those overnight charges….

Sponsored

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

AT least that EV looks more like a normal new vehicle and not some ridiculous cyberpunk concept.

Im still out on the EV idea though. They claim so much but you cant get away from charging concerns/anxiety, especially when you start talking about towing. My worst fear is overlanding and not having a way to charge right now.
Why stay with the traditional form when the traditional form has limited function? Why not take advantage of the new form possibilities? I'm on board with the Canoo style truck.

The size looks good though - I ordered a 2 door bronco because 1) I'm old and remember the original 2) the 4 door just wasn't big enough 3) that's what she said.

OP
OP
Pressurized

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I hope they review the overlander-prepped gasoline generator trailer they’ll need to tow for those overnight charges….
And that, in of itself, is the major issue... The question remains, is it really only good for use as a commuter vehicle? I'm a wanderer, but have vehicles for that. The roadblock is $80k for a commuter, no matter how nice it is....

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And that, in of itself, is the major issue... The question remains, is it really only good for use as a commuter vehicle? I'm a wanderer, but have vehicles for that. The roadblock is $80k for a commuter, no matter how nice it is....
I think it depends on your level of disposable income, and frankly, your need to show virtue signalling. BEVs are not particularly friendly to the environment when the cost of mining/manufacture is taken into account, and given the senseless march to electric grid instability with the mandated switch to intermittent power generation, adding more demand to an unstable grid will inevitably lead to more blackouts and higher electricity costs. Depending on your state/province’s dependence on unreliable power generation, you may end up buying a generator to charge your BEV. I believe many elites in CA in particular have or are in the process of installing enough standby power generation to keep their mansions lit and cooled, and their swimming pools heated.

Subsidies won’t last forever either. Expect some sort of annual or per mile/km road tax to be applied to BEVs in the future. Road construction and maintenance doesn’t pay for itself - most of that is currently funded on the massive levy on gasoline and diesel, charged at the pump.

An $80k BEV may be seriously devalued in 10-15 years when the battery needs replacing. Look at the market for copper, lithium, cadmium and other battery-essential metals - it’s going through the roof. Costs will increase with demand for materials. Expect huge opposition to opening new mining operations to source the metals needed, which are in much less known quantities than the known oil and gas reserves.

I encourage you to dig deep into the pros and cons of BEV ownership before shelling out that kind of cash. And if a BEV must be in your future, there are much cheaper options. Hybrids such as the Prius are proven reliable - the Rivian is yet to prove its worth.

All my .02, of course.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think it depends on your level of disposable income, and frankly, your need to show virtue signalling. BEVs are not particularly friendly to the environment when the cost of mining/manufacture is taken into account, and given the senseless march to electric grid instability with the mandated switch to intermittent power generation, adding more demand to an unstable grid will inevitably lead to more blackouts and higher electricity costs. Depending on your state/province’s dependence on unreliable power generation, you may end up buying a generator to charge your BEV. I believe many elites in CA in particular have or are in the process of installing enough standby power generation to keep their mansions lit and cooled, and their swimming pools heated.

Subsidies won’t last forever either. Expect some sort of annual or per mile/km road tax to be applied to BEVs in the future. Road construction and maintenance doesn’t pay for itself - most of that is currently funded on the massive levy on gasoline and diesel, charged at the pump.

An $80k BEV may be seriously devalued in 10-15 years when the battery needs replacing. Look at the market for copper, lithium, cadmium and other battery-essential metals - it’s going through the roof. Costs will increase with demand for materials. Expect huge opposition to opening new mining operations to source the metals needed, which are in much less known quantities than the known oil and gas reserves.

I encourage you to dig deep into the pros and cons of BEV ownership before shelling out that kind of cash. And if a BEV must be in your future, there are much cheaper options. Hybrids such as the Prius are proven reliable - the Rivian is yet to prove its worth.

All my .02, of course.
Sounds like you or someone in your family is in the fossil fuel business.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds like you or someone in your family is in the fossil fuel business.
We are, but ultimately everything we use in modern society is either from the ground or grown on it. You cannot have BEVs without using fossil fuels to produce and manufacture them…unless your BEV is made from wood and plant fibres hewn with flint and spun on a hand loom.

I’ll add that, as a mechanical and project engineer, I’ve been in the environmental industry (water and wastewater treatment), food industry, oil and gas, and mining. I am also practice critical thinking and like to examine all aspects of anything requiring a reasoned decision. Risk analysis is always part of this process.

Again, just my .02 on the Rivian question - 80k is a lot of money for a commuter and I foresee many issues ahead with the overloading of unstable power grids. Go for it if you want and enjoy it if it makes one happy!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I reserved a cybertruck but with 1.2 million reservation, it will be 3+ years ... which is fine.

But with these stats ... I will no longer need a gas truck:

- 500+ mile range
- 0-60 in 2.9 seconds.

OP
OP
Pressurized

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

All my .02, of course.
I've had a Prius, and it was a great vehicle, but not many of the hybrids today fit in the category I'm looking for... No virtue signaling, just something I think I might like.

As for value, check out the Tesla's... Here in AZ, many used are selling at or above their new MSRP's. But, it's going to be interesting to see how the EV market goes. There's an awful lot of them in development and soon to be in production.