First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS Badlands, 2023 CHALLENGER Shaker Widebody
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I'm waiting until 2022. I will order mine this time next year. This way I can see the different configurations people are ording on the road and get a better idea of how I want to order mine.
Sponsored

EMrider

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know that I’ll need a new car in 2021 so waiting would require some kind of interim plan and I’d rather not hassle with that. Even with Ford’s planned timeline, I might run into problems.

I’ve never seen any empirical evidence supporting the claim that first-year models have more problems/reliability issues that later year’s. I get the intuitive appeal of that idea, just don’t know if it is supported by facts.

The Bronco drivetrains are proven IMHO and I really like the 2.7l in our F-150, so that tips me in favor of the Bronco. In addition, I don’t trust the Jeep JL platform given all the steering issues owners are experiencing. My JKUR has been excellent, but something seems different with the JL series.
R

BilletWilson

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Platinum Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Personally I would wait but not for reliability reasons. It's going to take the aftermarket a short while to get their products on the market. As they do, you will have a clearer picture of the best Bronco model to purchase. With owning multiple Jeeps I know all to well that the Rubicon is the best offroad ready model driving off the lot, but if you're going to turnaround and swap axles, gears, replace the entire suspension etc. you're basically paying for parts only to replace them costing you tons of money that could have helped pay for the upgrades. As companies begin to realize the full potential of the Broncos platform Im confident we're going to see some pretty wild aftermarket options. The best on the lot doesn't automatically = the best once it's built.

It really depends what your end game goal will be for your Bronco.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In terms of reliability, I wouldn't be concerned about waiting for 2022. From everything I've read, the drivetrain, tech, etc. is all proven in other vehicles. And it seems like the design process Ford went through was pretty robust - taking queues from Jeep owners, additional testing, VR setups to subtly tweak placement of things, etc. - so I'm not expecting a lot of "Oh, we really should have moved that there instead".

Other than your personal budget and needs, only real reason I would debate between 2021 and 2022 is if the options you want are available now or not.

Already seeing some speculation that a V8 or hybrid might become an option in the future - so if those interest you then waiting might make sense. Also the possibility that they could reduce or expand trim levels, change up packages, colors, and the like. If the particular combo you like is available now, I'd say go for it (it might not be around later). If you feel like you can't get the options you want without getting a bunch of stuff you don't, or some wanted feature just isn't available in the 2021, then wait and see what happens.

Sponsored

Sharpgt

Wildtrak
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Ford GT. Shelby GT350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
When a new car is released or next gen, there’s always people that say they would rather wait for the 2nd year of production to let Ford, in this case, work out the “kinks” from the 1st year car. Is this argument even valid? Does it really even matter if there are “kinks”? What do you think about that reasoning?
Let’s be honest, now that Ford is saying not to expect deliveries until June of 2021, all Bronco’s should be 2022’s not 2021’s. There is the appeal of having the first one on the block and IMHO it’s worth the extra trips to the dealer to iron out the kinks. The drivetrain is a proven entity and Ford certainly knows how to build trucks, so I am all in for an early build.

Sergio El Bailador

Black Diamond
First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Might've been mentioned earlier but if you're open to other options then by waiting until the following year you might have some news from Toyota on a new 4runner.

Additionally, it will be nice to see all of the real-world testing and review results for the Bronco. So far it's the spec sheet champ and I'm excited to see how all of the spec and features fare when put to the test.

makatron

Badlands
First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu D-Max 3.0L 4-cylinder diesel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Honestly even though I am more excited about the Bronco than I ever was about getting a Gladiator, I am planning on waiting for second year just so to be sure no issues or little mechanical gremlins appear in the first batch. Also not really sure about any colours at the moment so also waiting to see them in person would be a huge plus.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
When a new car is released or next gen, there’s always people that say they would rather wait for the 2nd year of production to let Ford, in this case, work out the “kinks” from the 1st year car. Is this argument even valid? Does it really even matter if there are “kinks”? What do you think about that reasoning?
What's the value of your time? How much enjoyment would you, friends and family have with a new Bronco over a 2 year period, vs waiting 2 years? Are there alternatives in the interim that you could have same or more fun with? Are you planning to live and be healthy forever? Those are some things to consider, which some people fail to adequately consider while waiting around to do things.

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm guessing that even for the MY22, you'll need to reserve it. Seems that the MY21 will spill over into 22 and the trend will continue if it's a good as Ford says.

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If someone can stand the wait, I say go for it; helps the rest of us out.

It's an old wives tale on first runs having kinks. All vehicle builds have kinks. What may change from one model year to the next are options or what is standard. Technology improves constantly, so automakers do simple tweaks each year to keep new buyers coming in. No different than any other consumer device.

Ultimately depends on what's most important to you. Maybe the ManSquatch is a 2022 option, maybe not, etc. I'll be happy with my 2021 as I plan to drive it until 2030 and just might keep it forever or until it's a classic.

Whatever you decide, do it fast. make a decision already and be at peace with it. As long as this new toy helps to bring some joy into your life and is part of good memories in the great out yonder it would have served it's purpose no matter what model year it is.

Pitar

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
How much would you lose if let’s say you bought a 21 and then traded it in for a 22

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How much would you lose if let’s say you bought a 21 and then traded it in for a 22
You'd lose a ton man, that's just not smart money; it's not an iPhone. Most depreciation happens within the first 18 months of ownership. However, if you've got money to burn during these strange days, go ahead and set some on fire. Otherwise I can always DM to you my account number and feel free to "donate" as much to me as possible.

In fact, I'll share the link to my GoFundMe account for my Bronco down payment fund. :ROFLMAO:

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Flex Ecoboost Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd guess $10k. You'll get whacked on the first-year depreciation. Then you get to pay sales tax again (state depending if course).

I'd also guess if they had any significant issues they would be cut in mid model year. Not unheard of. In the mustang world they've done suspension parts and cylinder head revisions mid run. Maybe just get a late build '21.
Sponsored