Sponsored

Time to convert to 2023MY! Mistakes made, if you could start all over, what would you do different?

BulldogBear

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2000 Mercedes-Benz G500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would have had to spend probably $5K to jump from a Base to a Big Bend just to get a locker. An air locker will be cheaper than that, and a lot stronger (6# holding pressure for electric vs. 800# for air), and it will still work if a wheel sensor fails.
How many of these wheel sensor failures have actually occurred? I think I've read two instances on the 6G forum. I'd like to know actual numbers related to this potential Achille's heal - I know some on here were talking about running a bypass and using the aux switches to shut off the sensor.

In AZ, I see air lockers fail all the time due to the hoses decomposing due to the heat, but at least it doesn't take you out of 4 low...
Sponsored

M4Madness

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
How many of these wheel sensor failures have actually occurred? I think I've read two instances on the 6G forum. I'd like to know actual numbers related to this potential Achille's heal - I know some on here were talking about running a bypass and using the aux switches to shut off the sensor.
Probably astronomically small odds of it happening, and from what I read, a software fix would most likely correct it. I just mentioned it because it's a selling point for non-factory lockers. 😀

joss

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Corolla 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

While it's easy to be upset with all the ways Ford has botched this roll out, change made from reservations v. allocations, and etc. But with the benefit of hindsight what would you have done differently? Somethings may be timing and life related, my starting point is really 5 months before I even thought of getting a Bronco. Some things could have been better with better communication from the dealer. Some things would have been better if I...

I lost my Tacoma on Jan 4th '21, I messed up horribly and can't cry over spilled milk, BUT I should have reserved my Bronco then, five and a half months earlier. I would have had PP and my dealer has been delivering high end builds from then for the last two or more months.

I didn't do enough reading before deciding on a base trim when I really needed a Black Diamond (open diff v. rear locker) and the sliders and etc... Another hasty mistake. Had I gone with this trim and only added roof rack and hood protector and been done, based on my dealer's deliveries, I'm pretty sure without any added commodities that build would have been built and delivered by now; with PP from '21!

Adding Sasquatch, I went back and forth on weather I should add Sasquatch, well after attending multiple events and reading here, I was convinced it was a good deal and it is, but it pushed me into MY23 and another price increase. At first I wasn't going to add for that reason, but after talking with dealer, it sounded like the wait was going from getting my Bronco late summer/early fall or add and get Oct to Dec, but still a MY22!

The odds seemed 90% I'd get by then and I waited this long so why not add a couple of months for what I want? Turns out incomplete info regarding my place in line made this a bad decision and this is the reason I'm being pushed into MY23. I'm still so far back that it was, IN HINDSIGHT, the odds were more like 80% I'd get pushed; bad info from dealer to save face on their allotment numbers, plain and simple.

What mistake will I make converting to MY23? Depending on pricing, my choices are:

Stay with Sasquatch and pay probably $5,000 more than MY21 just for the base before adding Sasquatch. I'm expecting this build with current options to cost some where from $43,500ish or more, depending on what I keep, i.e. roof rack.

Switch to Black Diamond, this option loses any kind of PP I may get, dealer says I have some PP, Ford CS says I have none, who do I believe? I'm betting I don't and budgeting for that and if any were to occur or be confirmed in writing by dealer than I can decide. I'm expecting what ever the total increase from MY21 to MY23 to be about $5,000 too. The best thing about this choice would be that I only need to add mudflaps for protection and I'm ready for the real world (paint protection wise), I still would add the same stuff as the other builds, air compressor and lights for example.

Go back to Base to control costs. This is the lest attractive to me for two reasons, no locker, open diffs, and the $5,000 extra I would be paying for a MY23 compared to MY21, I guess if you go back to my original order with out PP, it's really going to be a $2,000 to $3,000 price increase, but still it will be a $5,000 increase from original B&P. Was expecting $28,500 plus switches & RR and was $28,990 before destination charges went up to $31,300 due to no PP and expecting $33K for a MY23.

So, with the help of poor information from both Ford and my Dealer you can see I made some bad decisions. But, some were just my mistake too, this whole thing has been confusing. Add in a sit down with a dealer in Jan 21 should have happened to help avoid some of the above too. But what do I do now?

I'm really thinking option #2 Black Diamond with just RR & hood protector (<$500?) but depending on price increase I could still stick with the Sasquatched base.
Well first mistake about bronco reservations is i cancelled my OBX in AMB. But I am going to be just as happy with my velocity blue base that shipped yesterday morning lol

NJRoadkill

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands 2.3l Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I missed that the Badlands lost the modular bumper during the first push Oct21. By the time I caught it, it was already in production. I don’t mind the capable bumper, I got the extra light w/ the fogs. But I still look at folks with the modular bumper and wish I had it.

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I gave up SAS, the HD bumper, the Safari Bar, and the PPF to get mine in 2022.

I don't miss SAS especially since I had to move up from BD to BL to get the Mid-Package. I drove a BL SAS at the off-rodeo and I appreciate the lockers and sta-bar disconnect, but am fine without the lift and bigger tires. I was able to get PPF added for only $50 more than the factory price from an installer locally and he did a great job.

But I do wish I held out for the HD bumper and Safari Bar, but not at the expense of being pushed to 2023 or beyond.

I am glad I have my Bronco and am OK with the config I have. I can always buy a heavier duty bumper and safari bar, but can't do much if I don't have a Bronco...

One thing I would have deleted is the roof rack. Totally awful implementation if you want to be able to take off roof panels in the summertime.

Sponsored

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

One thing I would have deleted is the roof rack. Totally awful implementation if you want to be able to take off roof panels in the summertime.
It only takes about 15 minutes to remove the roof rack - if you're slow. My rack is in my garage hanging on the wall, waiting for when I actually need to use it.

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It only takes about 15 minutes to remove the roof rack - if you're slow. My rack is in my garage hanging on the wall, waiting for when I actually need to use it.
it is the whole “hassle factor “ Finding someplace to put the roof rack if I am not at home when I want to pop the roof panels. Whether or not to put on the painted covers for the front mount points. Etc etc.

it’s a total PITA. So sorry , but I disagree with your comment.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So you've never actually tried it then, right?

I put two hooks high up on my garage wall and it's totally out of the way. And the aerodynamics are improved while it's off as well.

Mortonm

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
it is the whole “hassle factor “ Finding someplace to put the roof rack if I am not at home when I want to pop the roof panels. Whether or not to put on the painted covers for the front mount points. Etc etc.

Then why not just remove it and sell it ?

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Then why not just remove it and sell it ?
Oh, the rack is off the Bronco, and has been since summer...

Haven't decided whether or not to sell it as I plan to take it overlanding next summer with a rooftop tent. If the factory rack cannot support the tent I want, it will be sold.

Sponsored

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So you've never actually tried it then, right?

I put two hooks high up on my garage wall and it's totally out of the way. And the aerodynamics are improved while it's off as well.
I'm so proud of you...

And yes, I have taken the roof rack off, as I have gone topless this summer many times and didn't want to f around with the roof rack to do it. And it has remained off, since I can take off the 3 panels in a fraction of the time it takes to remove the roof rack and without needing tools.

The roof rack is only going back on when I plan to overland next summer, and if it can't support the weight of the tent, it will be sold.

BigBendBW

Heritage
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I love my Basesquatch and would order it again. I originally had the MOD bumper on my order with the dealer, they missed it and I decided not to have it added back in. May be why I got it in ‘22 but I guess if I changed anything it would be to get the MOD bumper. I still may add it, got a quote and the parts list just not necessary yet.

Mortonm

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I love my Basesquatch and would order it again. I originally had the MOD bumper on my order with the dealer, they missed it and I decided not to have it added back in. May be why I got it in ‘22 but I guess if I changed anything it would be to get the MOD bumper. I still may add it, got a quote and the parts list just not necessary yet.
Probably will start showing up in classifieds as people upgrade to a winch bumper
Sponsored