Sponsored

To Sasquatch or not to Sasquatch, lots of Cons!

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Bronco wasn't made to be quiet, it wasn't made to ride like a Cadillac, and it wasn't made to get 30 miles per gallon. It was made for one purpose: Smiles Per Gallon! In my heartfelt opinion, a Bronco without Sasquatch just isn't a proper Bronco. It doesn't look right. With the Sasquatch Package you get the heavier duty axles and suspension components designed for the increase in rolling mass, so no worries there.
This is my feeling as well.

I really want to like the 33s on the Badlands for financial and practicality reasons but it's just not the same, especially on the bigger 4-door.

I keep saying that this forum traffic and the reservation numbers would be significantly lower had they not done the sasquatch package and advertised it.

That package, to me, is the most significant thing that separates Bronco from Wrangler.
Sponsored

teerav

Black Diamond
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The Sasquatch packages offers a lot more that I am interested in.

I do wonder if there will be an option to select different tires with the Sasquatch package. I assume this is something that you could discuss with your dealer. I considered just replacing the tires with AT and selling off the MT tires. Though I am not sure how financially sound this will be.

OP
OP
Cheshire

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I do not think your list is wrong but, I wanted to mention a few points.
The Sasquatch comes with the 210 front axle and 4.70 gearing to handle the additional rotational mass and overcome the inertia.
As a Mountain Bike Racer you know that 29er wheels/tires are heavier than 26” but, once underway the 29” handles obstacles great.
Most folks that have commented on the different tire options from Ford have spoken about swapping to BFG KO2 or Falken Wikdpeaks for their grip, performance (including wet weather and snow), and how quiet they are. I don’t know the last time you have aggressive tires or if you still run your Defender but tire technology, rubber compounds, siping, and patterns have come a long way from the 90s.
You are correct the 35s are going to be pricey but, this is a fact for any performance type vehicle. I chuckle when my friend complains about buying tires for his Mustang GT, yup expensive.
What I like about your list is that it takes a realistic view on living with your selection/options on the Bronco.
I see threads where people are worried about the wind noise, tire noise, and comfort for their 65 mile commute. The Bronco is going to stun folks because of how great it is but, it’s also going to surprise a bunch of people who think it is going to drive like a RAV4, CRV, Explorer, or Lexus RX.
The Bronco is going to be louder, use more fuel, have more NVH and be absolutely amazing with the top off, radio cranked, coming home from work...enjoy the a Bronco for what it is and you’ll be happy, wish it was the 4X4 Prius and city yourself to sleep.
You made some good points, thank you! About biking, I find 29s a bit too big for technical stuff that i like. Always a tradeoff. FYI, I also had 3 Wrangler Rubicons and a 4 Runner. I owed the 4 Runner longest of all my cars. The 4 Runner was the clear fav on the highway.

I am with you on the top off, radio cranking scenario and am willing to deal with less creature comfort. My daughters turn 3 and 5 soon and this will be the car they grow up in and remember. As much as I love front & rear lockers and the big tire look, I think the 33s will be a better overall road tripper than will perform off road when I want that.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think most of my disagreements have been covered. The wheels aren't true beadlocks, they're "beadlock capable". A metric designated "315" 35" tire is only about 6-7 lbs heavier than a metric "285" 33" tire. This is in contrast to a true inch sized 35" x 12.5" floatation tire which is more in the range of 11-12 pounds heavier than that "285" 33" tire. The floatation tires tend to be of a much sturdy design. Tires in this size are generally pretty easy to come by. If they don't have them in stock they can usually get them in a day from their warehouse barring supply issues with a few of the more popular brands on occasion. They'll only be marginally more expensive than their 33" counterparts. And the Sasquatch package comes with 4.70 gears which are plenty steep to overcome the additional weight of the wheel/tire combo.

OP
OP
Cheshire

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes, yes, yes, Hoping we get some options for more/other configuration choices.
35's don't work for me - I'd like to have 33s with front and rear lockers,, and would also like to skip the sway disconnect. (this is not based on any science, just a personal preference that I'd be glad to pay extra for.)
Yes, me too! Front & rear lockers without swaybar disconnect.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

If those Territories are anything like the Duratrac tread they look
like, they are more AT than MT and are pretty quiet compared to say BFG KMs.

As for the cost, and weight: I compared this a week or so ago:
33” KO2s $243 (C) -258 (E) and 51-58 lbs
35” Duratrac D $319 and 60 lbs

So a Territory C rated tire may be lighter and less expensive, but the range is the 33s could be 2-9 lbs lighter and $60-76 less expensive per corner.
Me - next set may be 285/75 KO2s or 295/70 Duratracs to split the difference.

285/70 KO2’s: 32.7-.8”X11.5”
285/70 Duratracs: 33”x11.5”
285/75 KO2’s: 33.9”x11.3”
295/70 Duratracs: 33.5”x11.6”
315/70 Duratracs: 34.4”x12.7”

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am up for the 275/70/18 which seems to roughly equate to 33"+. Hopefully there is an OEM option for this size. I would really prefer the 17" wheel and subsequent tire options, but unless I go Sasquatch, doesn't seem to be the case.

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Anyone going to Squatch with the 2.3?

r0skor0cker

Big Bend
First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If you are buying the bronco to be a daily/mall crawler get what you want. If you are buying the bronco to wheel, get what you want. Honestly the only deterrent for me is the cost of 35s. But that isn't stopping me. If you have ever owned a lifted vehicle and liked it, you quickly dismiss costs, you find a way because you enjoy your rig. My lifted excursion is a money pit but I love it and I smile every time I drive it, slap some new rubber on her or tow a house. Life is too short to not enjoy it. My advice is this.... if you are too concerned about cost, then stick with the 33s. If parts wear from running 35s provided from the factory, it seems like a warranty issue to me.

I run parts until they wear out and then upgrade them. It isn't always the best approach, but it works for me.

I'm personally excited to see all of the different configurations on the road.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

If you are buying the bronco to be a daily/mall crawler get what you want. If you are buying the bronco to wheel, get what you want. Honestly the only deterrent for me is the cost of 35s. But that isn't stopping me. If you have ever owned a lifted vehicle and liked it, you quickly dismiss costs, you find a way because you enjoy your rig. My lifted excursion is a money pit but I love it and I smile every time I drive it, slap some new rubber on her or tow a house. Life is too short to not enjoy it. My advice is this.... if you are too concerned about cost, then stick with the 33s. If parts wear from running 35s provided from the factory, it seems like a warranty issue to me.

I run parts until they wear out and then upgrade them. It isn't always the best approach, but it works for me.

I'm personally excited to see all of the different configurations on the road.
Yeah - you don’t really realize what an on-ramp a lift is: mine is evolving over time to correct some geometry issue or whatever improvement and it becomes an exercise in fine tuning a brute thing. Who knew a 3/8” longer adjustable track bar would make such a difference in behavior? ?‍♂

But as you get more and more comfortable with each change you do bond with your vehicle.

It should be obvious with all the different questions, plans and complaints on here that Broncos are going to be very customized. We haven’t even seen what the aftermarket will bring us and this site has been buzzing for weeks.

To me, there is no wrong answer, just ones that aren’t, ones that may be, and ones that are the right answer for you. And a forum like this becomes a great place to learn about the options from other people.

Magical_Savior

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Bobber Black, Honda CB1100EX
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
1 - the GY territory are NOT mud terrains. MT stands for max traction. ... ...
I really dislike it when a company takes a very specific, well-understood term, and decides "Nah, we'll make our own abbreviation. With blackjack and hookers!"

Does this mean you want different tires for mud? A thicker carcass that won't get sliced easily for rocks?
::Visible confusion::

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

At the end of the day though, for me Badlands vs. Badlands + Squatch is pretty much all about looks. The stock Badlands is way more capability than I will ever need.

This is what's so tough about ordering sight unseen. I would love to see both options in person side-by-side.

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have noticed several people of mentioned the cost. I would assume these tires can run 20K miles.

If you want expensive try running a 315 run flat performance tire with 100 tread wear rating that lasts maybe 5K miles at $500 per tire. Everything is relative.

You have to pay to play. Sucks but it is what it is.

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Width is a concern, too. There are forest trails on my family's property where an extra 2 inches wider means you aren't going any farther (at least not without either cutting down a 100+ year old tree and/or dynamiting a cliff).

Sasquatch's primary function is so Ford can claim better approach/departure/clearance than the Wrangler* (*With optional equipment). The like 400% markup for bigger tires and a lift are icing on the cake for them.
Sponsored