AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Is that the sway bar disconnect switch on the BL or is that somewhere else?
That's above on the dash with those selector buttons

IMG_2486.PNG
Sponsored

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

At first glance it does look like a tow mode button(looks like the small trailer emblem Iā€™ve seen on different tow/haul buttons), but looking closer you are right, itā€™s a bronco silhouette not a trailer silhouette.
Granted not sure what fords tow/haul buttons look like, but this is what I was thinking it looked similar to

Ford Bronco Towing package content? IMG_2486.PNG

Ford Bronco Towing package content? IMG_2486.PNG
hereā€™s the icon they use in the gauge cluster in my dads Raptor. And the shifter just has a button that says TOW.

Ford Bronco Towing package content? 863BAA17-1D82-4F8F-87B3-4D82E1E0997D

FWIW, the graphic/icon to the right of the towing menu looks similar to that bronco image. And itā€™s an off-road menu. So perhaps thatā€™s just a quick button to the off-road menu in the gauge cluster

Ford Bronco Towing package content? 2622D545-B31E-4A88-9CFC-2C5D29E6F225

spyderman01

Base
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Base
This picture makes it look like a very easy aftermarket bolt-on and certainly not worth $600 to avoid doing it myself.
I've done this in my jeep and takes about an hour or so, depends if you are clever enough to do it without taking off the bumper. Then another time, I replaced the bumper and it came with the receiver, but it also used the hitch mounting points for the bumper as well. I expect those of us with plastic bumpers will be replacing eventually anyway, so why not just put in one with the receiver. The wiring harness is no big deal, though we may want one that works with led lights.

comfour

Big Bend
First Name
cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I don't see any mentioned of a brake controller which is a requirement if you are towing 3k or more

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Maybe its that fancy ghost trailer and hitch line up-er program that adds to the cost, you know for all those people that cant get it on the ball blindfolded.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Not to piggyback and detract from this thread, but that package is one I was debating on adding at order time... As someone who's never towed before, is there any structural advantage to getting the factory installed hitch + wiring? I had seen that Bronco frame mounted hitch picture the other day but wasn't sure if the outcome would be any different if you went the aftermarket route
If that is ll it is, then not much other than someone else ran the wiring.

Iā€™ve replaced the receiver on my Jeep - same four bolt sort of thing. It took 20 minutes and very few bad words.

joshofthefall

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Scion tC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If that is ll it is, then not much other than someone else ran the wiring.

Iā€™ve replaced the receiver on my Jeep - same four bolt sort of thing. It took 20 minutes and very few bad words.
Lol, good to know for sure. I'll definitely go that route then if that's not much included in the towing package, I feel plenty comfortable with learning to install myself for a much reduced premium.

comfour

Big Bend
First Name
cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Since when? Most cars don't come with a brake controller.
I should have said the requirement is for electric brakes not for the controller, the controller just lets you switch between auto and manual applying trailer brakes, there are hundreds of aftermarket brake controllers, my JLU sport doesn't have it, i only have a hitch and wiring so I can control the signal and brake lights but not the trailer brakes

comfour

Big Bend
First Name
cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I should have said the requirement is for electric brakes not for the controller, the controller just lets you switch between auto and manual applying trailer brakes, there are hundreds of aftermarket brake controllers, my JLU sport doesn't have it, i only have a hitch and wiring so I can control the signal and brake lights but not the trailer brakes
California
Every trailer and semitrailer manufactured after 1940 with a GVW of 6,000 lbs. or more and operated at a speed of 20 mph or more must be equipped with brakes; trailers and semitrailers built after 1966 and with a GVW of 3,000 lbs. or more must have brakes on at least 2 wheels; every trailer or semitrailer built after 1982 and equipped with air brakes must be equipped with brakes on all wheels.
Every trailer coach or camp trailer with a GVW of 1,500 lbs. or more must be equipped with brakes on at least 2 wheels.

Sponsored

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Electronic brakes come on the trailer, so why would there be any mention of it on the vehicle other than if there is an actual brake controller(which plenty donā€™t have until you add one aftermarket). The 7 pin connector is whatā€™s used with those trailers over the 4 pin, one of those 7 pins is for the electronic brakes. Bronco supposedly has both 7 and 4 pin connectors based on pictures on here of the chassis showing the hitch with 2 covered connectors.

Also never heard of electric trailer brakes working without an actual brake controller, anything Iā€™ve ever seen says without a brake controller youā€™re just on the vehicles brakes. But never tried towing anything with electric brakes without an added brake controller.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Lol, good to know for sure. I'll definitely go that route then if that's not much included in the towing package, I feel plenty comfortable with learning to install myself for a much reduced premium.
I suggest looking on etrailer or amazon and get feel for pricing for wiring harness and receiver so you can decide how to value the ā€œtowing packageā€ price.

Deadfish

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F350, 2007 HD Road King, 2013 370Z
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I suggest looking on etrailer or amazon and get feel for pricing for wiring harness and receiver so you can decide how to value the ā€œtowing packageā€ price.
Or use this and then the manual brake controller is your phone and you don't need to install a physical controller or wiring adapter. I have one for our JL to tow a little camp trailer and it works pretty dang slick.

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/51180

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

California
Every trailer and semitrailer manufactured after 1940 with a GVW of 6,000 lbs. or more and operated at a speed of 20 mph or more must be equipped with brakes; trailers and semitrailers built after 1966 and with a GVW of 3,000 lbs. or more must have brakes on at least 2 wheels; every trailer or semitrailer built after 1982 and equipped with air brakes must be equipped with brakes on all wheels.
Every trailer coach or camp trailer with a GVW of 1,500 lbs. or more must be equipped with brakes on at least 2 wheels.
Do surge brakes count?

comfour

Big Bend
First Name
cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Do surge brakes count?
Surge brakes doesn't need a brake controller, you still need a wiring switch to bypass it when you reverse, it's probably a lot cheaper than a electric brake controller less wiring inside the vehicle
Sponsored