Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I agree this all doesn't add up. If it's limited to 3500lbs why not a Class 2 and 4-pin connector?
I use a 7pin on a 1000lb trailer. It still has brakes and I charge my battery off of the tow vehicle. I'm glad it comes with a 7 pin. You can easily convert a 7pin to a 4pin but not the other way around.
Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I use a 7pin on a 1000lb trailer. It still has brakes and I charge my battery off of the tow vehicle. I'm glad it comes with a 7 pin. You can easily convert a 7pin to a 4pin but not the other way around.
Very true it's just an adaptor that plugs in to convert 7 to 4. Still seems odd to me though, and you have to admit that it's not very common to have a 1000lb 13ft trailer with electric brakes.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Very true it's just an adaptor that plugs in to convert 7 to 4. Still seems odd to me though, and you have to admit that it's not very common to have a 1000lb 13ft trailer with electric brakes.

It's not as common on a small trailer but there are lots out there these days.

Regardless... I'd rather have a truck come with 7 pin that I can convert for $10 than 4 pin that I would have to rewire. Or just have both like many trucks come with now.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
maybe it comes with the dual plug that the other ford products have (7-pin on top and 4-pin below)?

Garbone

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 21 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I am also curious if it would be possible to install an aftermarket towing receiver/hitch on the Base model. I would imagine that they don't use a different frame for just the base model.. And I believe it's just a money-grab to get you to go to the next model up.. But I guess it would be hard to tell once the build and price tool comes out because it probably just won't let you add towing to the base model. But that doesn't necessarily mean it won't be possible with aftermarket capability right?

Looking at the actual hitch setup one could probably bolt on a Jeep hitch sourced from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=jeep+wrangler+hitch+kit&sprefix=jeep+Wrangler+hitch&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_19

Ford Bronco Towing Package question Bronco_parts_03

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

maybe it comes with the dual plug that the other ford products have (7-pin on top and 4-pin below)?
The picture of it (see Garbone's post) looks to have them side by side like a Taco

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Not to ruffle any feathers, but I don't get why people are so up in arms about the Towing Capacity. This is not a pickup truck and IIRC, the Wrangler is the same.

It's not the engine (Ranger and F150 prove that), it's not the transmision (again, Ranger and F150), so it is simply most likely just the suspension. Towing Helping springs, or air bags, etc.. lots of options to fix this.

Not saying you can't express your disappointment, but for a deal breaker? What were you expecting from an SUV?

Personally I don't want my ass end to bounce around when I hit a bump just so I can tow some big ass trailer. 3500 is an entire car.. you can tow a car folks... dang.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Not to ruffle any feathers, but I don't get why people are so up in arms about the Towing Capacity. This is not a pickup truck and IIRC, the Wrangler is the same.

It's not the engine (Ranger and F150 prove that), it's not the transmision (again, Ranger and F150), so it is simply most likely just the suspension. Towing Helping springs, or air bags, etc.. lots of options to fix this.

Not saying you can't express your disappointment, but for a deal breaker? What were you expecting from an SUV?

Personally I don't want my ass end to bounce around when I hit a bump just so I can tow some big ass trailer. 3500 is an entire car.. you can tow a car folks... dang.
Nobody’s expecting truck capability, haven’t seen anybody asking for that. Wranglers tow cap hasn’t changed in decades, so there’s definitely room for improvement without hurting function, and the bronco has the exact same tow rating right now regardless of configuration, even the wrangler has an increase in tow capability when you go from 2 dr to 4 dr because of wheelbase alone. Adding anything to make it better aftermarket doesn’t change what the tow rating is so there’s still a possible liability issue even if you make it capable. And yes it’s an suv, which half a dozen suvs similar size as the 4 dr bronco tow 8000lbs(not expecting to match that).
Really doubt you would be bounced around at all to make the bronco tow slightly more, most would probably never even notice the difference(if there even needs to be one), not to mention that the most proposed solution is to make a tow package to get the extra tow cap, meaning you don’t want it, don’t get it. Nobody expected 10k towing, but 3500 is ridiculously low(for the 4dr at least). 5k with the 4 door would be acceptable to most that want to tow(and incidentally that would make the same amount difference from 2dr to 4dr as the wranglers).

And there’s very few cars you’d ever be able to tow with 3500lbs cap. Only pretty small cars weigh much less than 3500lbs, and that’s not accounting for the weight of a trailer to put it on, an open car trailer likely weighs 1500lbs or more, enclosed car trailer over 2000lbs empty. Even a 2 wheel tow dolly is about 500lbs or more(ones you get from uhaul are 700lbs), which puts the majority of cars over the 3500 tow cap. You could maybe tow a Miata, nothing much bigger than that.

Yes this is a deal breaker for me, as the next vehicle I get will take up the place of towing my toy hauler, which even trading down to the smallest one that meets my needs is 3200lbs empty, and my heaviest motorcycle weighs 800lbs on its own, so that’s 4K without any clothes or gear. I don’t need a huge truck that can do 10k or more, don’t need a midsize truck that does 7-8k, don’t need an suv that does 7-9k, but I do need at least 5k minimum. So asking for a bronco that tows barely more than half what plenty of trucks/SUVs tow isn’t asking for much. Don’t have the money/space to have a separate tow vehicle and make the bronco just an extra vehicle, nor would I want to cause then the bronco would get left at home when I’m on trips so what would be the point in having it?

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Exactly my feeling. I am not expecting the same rating as my F150 with the tow package, but maybe a bit more than my wife’s 2018 Explorer on a Taurus chassis? At least offer a package with a WDH and maybe a bit stiffer spring? 5-7k seems very reasonable.

fv9

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport, 2005 Lotus Elise, Protoform P3 formula vee, Crossle 32F formula ford
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Same boat. Current crossover can do 3500lbs so I'm limited to flat-towing or dolly-towing the race car. I've been considering a truck so I can actually put the car on a trailer, but when the Bronco became a possibility, plans changed. I'm still holding out hope that it'll be able to do at least 5000lbs.
What do you race? I run FV in SCCA and a CF in vintage.

Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What do you race? I run FV in SCCA and a CF in vintage.
I do a lot of Solo (XP) with my M3, also RallyCross, drag racing, road course, and more. Anywhere I can thrash on the car I give it a shot.

Reactions: fv9

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nobody’s expecting truck capability, [...].

And there’s very few cars you’d ever be able to tow with 3500lbs cap. [...].

Yes this is a deal breaker for me, [...]
YOU SAID TODAY'S SECRET WORD!!!!!

Ford Bronco Towing Package question tenor

(In the interest of full disclosure: I desperately want(ed) a 5,000lb capacity on the 4-door)

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@Cookieck ... great response. You didn't get a bunch of attitude and broke down the facts. I can see where you are coming from, especially once you mentioned how heavy a typical toy hauler would be.

I suppose my hope is that with possible aftermarket bumpers or otherwise Class III hitch, the bronco should be able to tow more weight. If the rear springs need help... after-market to the rescue. If the brakes need help... after-market as well.

I can see though where you buy a $50k vehicles and you would expect it to out perform something so basic... but I guess Ford had to cut costs somewhere. We are getting a crap ton of Off Road capabilities so I guess the Towing took a hit.

I agree though if you buy a Towing Package... it should probably do something to increase the Towing Rate.. at least it would be nice.. maybe even a Towing Pack A and B or the like.

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I can get away with 3500, but I would have loved another 1000. We will be getting a travel trailer before we get the Bronco and my options are very limited. But I think I found one that works. It's 2800 dry. That gives me room to fill it with our things for camping. My only gripe is it is a cheaper brand camper.

fv9

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport, 2005 Lotus Elise, Protoform P3 formula vee, Crossle 32F formula ford
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I do a lot of Solo (XP) with my M3, also RallyCross, drag racing, road course, and more. Anywhere I can thrash on the car I give it a shot.
What tracks do you run in Iowa? Coming from the pacific nw, I have towed and ran Road America, Mid Ohio, Heartland Park, and Indy. But those are about the only tracks I can think of around you. At least they seem "around" Iowa when Im towing all that way!
Sponsored