Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’m not sure if this is already known or not, but all Bronco model hitches are Class 2.

6844E8C7-A10E-4E79-B9E4-C8F5D279D8CB.jpeg
Sponsored

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes.... Class 2 hitch was stated several weeks ago.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What tracks do you run in Iowa? Coming from the pacific nw, I have towed and ran Road America, Mid Ohio, Heartland Park, and Indy. But those are about the only tracks I can think of around you. At least they seem "around" Iowa when Im towing all that way!
I've gone up to Minnesota to a Track Night in America event at DCTC. Our region also runs a Time Trial series that runs at RPM near Council Bluffs, Hallett near Tulsa, Heartland near Topeka, Gateway in St. Louis, Hastings in Nebraska, andBlackhawk Farms in northern Illinois. We also have Iowa Speedway, which has a road course on their oval, but it's hard and expensive to get track time there.

Reactions: fv9

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It has to be limited due to suspension. Similar to how the Raptor is substantially less than a similarly optioned F-150.

JRYbronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I am also curious if it would be possible to install an aftermarket towing receiver/hitch on the Base model. I would imagine that they don't use a different frame for just the base model.. And I believe it's just a money-grab to get you to go to the next model up.. But I guess it would be hard to tell once the build and price tool comes out because it probably just won't let you add towing to the base model. But that doesn't necessarily mean it won't be possible with aftermarket capability right?
Reading through this thread - did we come to a conclusion about potential of bolting on a hitch aftermarket? If someone went with Base model

Sponsored
OP
OP

Gilveabn

Black Diamond
First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 BMW M3, F80 BMW M3, E70 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
And there’s very few cars you’d ever be able to tow with 3500lbs cap. Only pretty small cars weigh much less than 3500lbs, and that’s not accounting for the weight of a trailer to put it on, an open car trailer likely weighs 1500lbs or more, enclosed car trailer over 2000lbs empty. Even a 2 wheel tow dolly is about 500lbs or more(ones you get from uhaul are 700lbs), which puts the majority of cars over the 3500 tow cap. You could maybe tow a Miata, nothing much bigger than that.

Yes this is a deal breaker for me, as the next vehicle I get will take up the place of towing my toy hauler, which even trading down to the smallest one that meets my needs is 3200lbs empty, and my heaviest motorcycle weighs 800lbs on its own, so that’s 4K without any clothes or gear. I don’t need a huge truck that can do 10k or more, don’t need a midsize truck that does 7-8k, don’t need an suv that does 7-9k, but I do need at least 5k minimum. So asking for a bronco that tows barely more than half what plenty of trucks/SUVs tow isn’t asking for much. Don’t have the money/space to have a separate tow vehicle and make the bronco just an extra vehicle, nor would I want to cause then the bronco would get left at home when I’m on trips so what would be the point in having it?
Well said. My E36 M3 track car is around 2700-2800lbs. Uhaul trailer puts me over the limit. I take my car to the track only 3-4 times a year and its a bummer to not be able to have Bronco do what a 4runner and many others easily can.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Reading through this thread - did we come to a conclusion about potential of bolting on a hitch aftermarket? If someone went with Base model
I’m sure aftermarket hitch will eventually be an option... most likely bolting easily to the standard frame. What you lose by not getting the factory tow package in the base is in the very least would be the wire harness and plug for the hitch...

Now, for what I’m about to say understand we don’t have any info to this effect from Ford... but in general terms opting out of tow packages can also mean a loss of additional oil/trans cooler, suspension capacity, final drive ratios, etc.

Now, all that considered, I do remember reading that for fleet sales, agencies will be able to spec a base *with* tow package... with leads me to believe in the very least an aftermarket hitch should be an option.

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
The potential is easily there, IMO. The tow hooks on each frame rail are removed, the ClassIII or ClassIV mounts there. You could even reinstall the tow hooks with the stouter hitch underneath. An outfit like Curt will have to design one that fits the curves of the Bronco crossmember where the factory ClassII is, and integrate the 4/7 pin connector that Ford already has.

Cencal Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Would this hitch be an acceptable extra recovery point? I don't tow anything currently, but for an extra recovery, or a rack the goes into the receiver it might be worth it.

comfour

Big Bend
First Name
cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have a Wrangler unlimited sport I had a dealer installed a hitch and wiring, the brake controller had been discontinued for that model if you don't get from the factory so i don't have a brake controller, it still only tows 3500.
Previously i had a Toyota highlander without a hitch, to get a hitch this require a heavy duty radiator(on mine they added an extra mini radiator), 150A alternator, oil cooler, heavy duty cooling fins, all that took it from 2000lbs to 5000lbs towing capacity.
So always get the tow package from the factory, it get expensive if you add it on later

Sponsored

jsharpe

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sharpe.com
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes.... Class 2 hitch was stated several weeks ago.
I'm a bit confused as to what you actually get with the tow package. The recent price survey lists it as a $600 option. That seems a lot for a bolt on class II receiver hitch and wiring pigtail. It seems aftermarket might be a lot less if the factory package doesn't also come with a higher rating and/or something else such as software modes.

Parker

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gr Che Overland, Corvette, Tahoe, 46 Chevy 2ton
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Towing weight always Limited by short wheelbase - sway issues. Towing usually includes cooling options and alternator battery upgrade. The way high price of this might be due to sway software and rear camara software.

Mac n Nevada

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser/2019 Jeep GC Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The tow rating on the Bronco matches the Wrangler which is its competitor. If you wanted to tow more get a different vehicle with a suspension designed to pull more weight.

Though tow rating isn't a deal breaker for me.....I don't want Bronco to be as good as a Jeep, I want it to be better.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Towing weight always Limited by short wheelbase - sway issues. Towing usually includes cooling options and alternator battery upgrade. The way high price of this might be due to sway software and rear camara software.
The four door has 16" longer wheelbase than the two door and so far they both have the same tow rating. Which is much lower than the tow rating of many other SUVs with similar wheelbase to the four door, some of which are off-road ready.

jalapenopete

Base
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Sahara
Your Bronco Model
Base
hey FORD! I'll just say that if the base doesn't have a tow package option then I'm out and will cancel the reservation I have for one. Another little nit about the base is the carpeting. Carpeting in a base vehicle? I'm buying this thing for backwoods camping, not outer banks glam. I'm getting closer to keeping my JLU.
Sponsored