Sponsored

Update: No resolution in sight for wrecked Bronco, over three months later.

OP
OP
Lord Bronco

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

hope you had gap insurance
I do, but I think that only applies when it's classified as totaled. Which sucks, because now the value of my almost-new vehicle is going to be less than the value I'm paying for every month.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
OP
OP
Lord Bronco

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Welp, when the insurer originally predicted (before shop looked at it) that it would be a total loss, I was thinking I'd need to order a new Bronco. But then the shop said they could fix it for $17k. So patiently I have waited. Let the 3/7 cutoff for new orders roll by, since mine will be fixed.

Shop said they were going to start working on Bronco last Monday. Just looked in their fenced outdoor area. It's still sitting, unrepaired at all, same spot as when it arrived six weeks ago. I do not feel entitlement to some special priority or feel overly impatient, but what the fuck? My rental coverage will run out soon. Zero reply from insurance adjuster in many weeks.

If they aren't going to fix it, I need to move on, which would require it being totaled so I can pay off the loan, get over losing my dream truck, and get something else.

Already made two car note payments since it's been in the shop. The weather is now gorgeous while the soft-top Bronco sits rotting and I drive a Malibu.

Yes, yes--save the "first-world problems" replies. I know. But WTF?

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would get an attorney, insurance will pay for additional rental time and everything will get fixed much faster.

I have learned to basically threaten getting legal help from the start. Insurance companies are use to the game, your not.

OP
OP
Lord Bronco

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would get an attorney, insurance will pay for additional rental time and everything will get fixed much faster.

I have learned to basically threaten getting legal help from the start. Insurance companies are use to the game, your not.
Legal help with what aspect? Wreck was my fault. Claim filed and begun on my insurance policy. Shop is in their "guaranteed network." Haven't had an email or call back on my questions from adjuster since about two weeks after the wreck. The shop estimate was immediately approved by insurance, about six weeks ago. Still pending repair.

Every week when I call, they tell me they are waiting to get all parts before starting repairs. Over a week ago, they said they finally got the last part needed (radiator mount/support) and would start the repairs last Monday. They did not.

Sponsored

malt_liqueur

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Welp, when the insurer originally predicted (before shop looked at it) that it would be a total loss, I was thinking I'd need to order a new Bronco. But then the shop said they could fix it for $17k. So patiently I have waited. Let the 3/7 cutoff for new orders roll by, since mine will be fixed.

Shop said they were going to start working on Bronco last Monday. Just looked in their fenced outdoor area. It's still sitting, unrepaired at all, same spot as when it arrived six weeks ago. I do not feel entitlement to some special priority or feel overly impatient, but what the fuck? My rental coverage will run out soon. Zero reply from insurance adjuster in many weeks.

If they aren't going to fix it, I need to move on, which would require it being totaled so I can pay off the loan, get over losing my dream truck, and get something else.

Already made two car note payments since it's been in the shop. The weather is now gorgeous while the soft-top Bronco sits rotting and I drive a Malibu.

Yes, yes--save the "first-world problems" replies. I know. But WTF?
as with everything Bronco related, could they be having trouble getting replacement parts?

OP
OP
Lord Bronco

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Might be worth asking at the body shop rather than asking the adjuster.
I call the shop every week.

Recap for anyone who hasn't read the thread but is commenting anyway to provide advice on stuff I've already done or have been doing:
  1. Wreck 1/25.
  2. Had to wait two days to get police report.
  3. Claim filed 1/28.
  4. Adjuster interviewed me on the phone about the wreck and damage. Immediately estimated to be a "total loss."
  5. Bronco still sat for a full week at the tow yard before insurance adjuster finally got it towed to the shop I chose, after multiple prods by me.
  6. Shop finally got it, did an estimate for about $17,000 to repair. Insurer approved estimate.
  7. I've called the shop every week since (about six weeks) to check in. They were waiting for all parts to arrive before repairs.
  8. Called Friday, 3/11, and they said they finally got the last part needed and would begin repairs Monday, 3/14.
  9. Been out of town this week. Drove by closed body shop today (3/20), saw that Bronco is still sitting where it has been sitting since it got there, out in the fenced yard. No repairs.
I realize everything takes longer these days, but shit or get off the pot. Lying to me about when they're going to start is not cool. Just tell me the truth.

And it would great if insurance companies could actually calculate the value of TIME into the total figure for the damage. I've made two car payments while it's been sitting there not being fixed. No ETA in sight still for repair, apparently. At this point, just call it a total so I can move on.

Yes, I know that since the accident was my fault, I have little leeway to gripe. However, then what is the point of insurance? It's to fix shit if I have an accident.

I figured there would be no way it wouldn't be finished by next weekend for a trail-riding and camping excursion I was looking forward to, which I'm now not going on.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was always taught to not make room to let someone go across traffic. Not to be a dick but instead not to set someone up. That is a very common accident situation.
Exactly how my work F150 got totaled years ago.
Somebody waved a girl through and she drove right into my driver's door as I was passing by .... not even going fast.

I try to NEVER leave that gap, I have heard that if you wave them through , YOU can be held liable for the wreck since you were directing traffic.

Another time, dude turning left across my lane got impatient and took charge of the situation.... he pulled into traffic which caused me to panic brake and stop about 6 inches shy of his door.
Of course, he couldn't see shit, so he guessed ... hit the gas and just FUCKED UP the side of the car that passed in the second lane at that exact moment. 🙄

21BL2DR

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BL 2dr, 2021 BB 4dr, 2022 BS 2dr, trifecta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

never have I ever had a body shop do what they said they were going to do when they said they would be doing it. Nothing slower.....they are slower than a glacier moving across the face of the earth. They WILL take forever.....

Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Similar situation happened with a buddy’s Lincoln Navigator recently. $30K estimate and “waiting on parts” for a few months. Finally the insurance company totaled it last week since they couldn’t get parts.

OP
OP
Lord Bronco

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Similar situation happened with a buddy’s Lincoln Navigator recently. $30K estimate and “waiting on parts” for a few months. Finally the insurance company totaled it last week since they couldn’t get parts.
If somehow it ends up changed to totaled, I'm SOL. Can't order a new one anytime soon. And prices will go up anyway. And I love this truck. Losing this thing after the wait would be a real heartbreaker. Especially when having to see other Broncos on the road every day.

But part of me thinks fuck it, how can I depend on these folks to fix it right, and then I have to drive damaged goods and make a new-car payment still, so if it's totaled, I may look for a Gladiator.

I'm starting to wonder if the reason the preliminary, tentative prediction of total loss by the adjuster was based on availability of parts, and then the shop said more we can fix it--but they said they haven't worked on a new Bronco before, and the estimate was before they started ordering parts.

PaBronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2022 F-150 Lightning Pro
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I assume the shop you picked is not a Ford dealer?

My F150 got hit by a falling tree. Three dents in the rear passenger door and one in the cab corner, $3,200 estimated from the dealer I purchased the truck from.

I really do not see how your Bronco could be repaired for $17k

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If somehow it ends up changed to totaled, I'm SOL. Can't order a new one anytime soon. And prices will go up anyway. And I love this truck. Losing this thing after the wait would be a real heartbreaker. Especially when having to see other Broncos on the road every day.

But part of me thinks fuck it, how can I depend on these folks to fix it right, and then I have to drive damaged goods and make a new-car payment still, so if it's totaled, I may look for a Gladiator.

I'm starting to wonder if the reason the preliminary, tentative prediction of total loss by the adjuster was based on availability of parts, and then the shop said more we can fix it--but they said they haven't worked on a new Bronco before, and the estimate was before they started ordering parts.

So a little personal experience, as I have been through something similar twice (although 1 was my ex-wife wrecking my vehicle while I was deployed and told her not to drive it and the second was on a vehicle that I asked her (and she acknowledged) to pay insurance on, but didn't.

In both cases, I assumed that the vehicle was "pre-disastered" and thus statistically unlikely to be the victim of multiple disasters. Both vehicles ended up being amazing to me. The point being that just because of the wreck, doesn't mean that you can't enjoy the vehicle. In my case, I was never worried about damage or losing value from that point forward. It was freeing in an odd way. Perfection was no longer the standard, but maximal enjoyment became the standard and I was never disappointed!

OP
OP
Lord Bronco

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I assume the shop you picked is not a Ford dealer?

My F150 got hit by a falling tree. Three dents in the rear passenger door and one in the cab corner, $3,200 estimated from the dealer I purchased the truck from.

I really do not see how your Bronco could be repaired for $17k
My dealer doesn't have a body shop.
Sponsored