Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes it was the 2.3l Ranger. I've never owned a turbo, drove one once. But even when you start to move it's like no power at all until the turbo kicks in. I wasn't impressed with it other than acceleration once the turbo kicks in.

And to be honest, to go from a 2.3 to a 2.7 doesn't make me think it'll be that much better. I guess I just like NA engines.. just my thing. So with that said though, I'm gonna go for the 2.7 just for that little bit more I think.
You can tune a 2.3 though.
Sponsored

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You can tune a 2.3 though.
I'm sure you can tune a 2.7 as well. And if I'm going to buy something, I'd rather NOT have to tune it right out of the gate.

Where is @JimmyDean or @MaverickMan , one of those 2 must've figured out how to get Godzilla under the hood by now! ?

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm sure you can tune a 2.7 as well. And if I'm going to buy something, I'd rather NOT have to tune it right out of the gate.

Where is @JimmyDean or @MaverickMan , one of those 2 must've figured out how to get Godzilla under the hood by now! ?
Working on it!

Jacjetlag

Wildtrak
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Diesel Mercedes
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The V-8 card has been played. Gimme dat Coyote/Aluminator that Jay Leno got or....

Now that Ford is back in the pushrod game, build a shorter deck, aluminum block Godzilla.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

2.7 10spd Sasquatch package for a start

Sponsored

EcobeastRyan

Base
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 fusion se
Your Bronco Model
Base
is the 2.3 the same engine used in the focus rs?

HCGxKaLiBeR

Wildtrak
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Coming from 455 HP+ 6.2L V8, so 2.7 V6 for sure.
2.7 is easier and has more tuning potential. Also I probably baby the Bronco for at least a few years before I start to go hardcore offroad. A 10 speed auto will do just fine...

It's not gonna drive it like my Camaro but at least I could get use to the HP downgrade better than the V4.

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

is the 2.3 the same engine used in the focus rs?
Sort of. As near as I can tell, its' the same block and the same turbo, but different heads and a different tune from the factory.

As @aabsalon says, it's more similar (probably identical) to the 2.3L in the Ranger.

Sponsored

jtzako

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes it was the 2.3l Ranger. I've never owned a turbo, drove one once. But even when you start to move it's like no power at all until the turbo kicks in. I wasn't impressed with it other than acceleration once the turbo kicks in.

And to be honest, to go from a 2.3 to a 2.7 doesn't make me think it'll be that much better. I guess I just like NA engines.. just my thing. So with that said though, I'm gonna go for the 2.7 just for that little bit more I think.
The turbo lag really depends on the engine/car specifics. If the 2.3L is a single turbo model it might have a slight lag. The ford 'twin scroll' turbos have such low lag that it isnt really noticeable. Newer turbo engines have also got better at that vs older ones.

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Same oil filter and crankcase capacity (6.2 quarts) as the Ranger
meanwhile the 2.7
has same filter Bronco & F-150 but 7 quarts while the f-150 only has 6 quarts...interesting

EcobeastRyan

Base
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 fusion se
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sort of. As near as I can tell, its' the same block and the same turbo, but different heads and a different tune from the factory.

As @aabsalon says, it's more similar (probably identical) to the 2.3L in the Ranger.
If that’s true I wonder how the bronco would do with the rs head and tune ?

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If that’s true I wonder how the bronco would do with the rs head and tune ?
Dunno, but make sure you get the right gasket if you change the heads. That was actually a problem with the RS from the factory. Somebody installed Mustang head gaskets instead of RS head gaskets (2.3L Mustang also uses a different head from the RS), created all sorts of problems.

EcobeastRyan

Base
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 fusion se
Your Bronco Model
Base
Dunno, but make sure you get the right gasket if you change the heads. That was actually a problem with the RS from the factory. Somebody installed Mustang head gaskets instead of RS head gaskets (2.3L Mustang also uses a different head from the RS), created all sorts of problems.
Oh yea I know all about the rs head gasket debacle ?.

I am curious though if this is the case what parts from the rs and or mustang would direct swap to the bronco
Sponsored