Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Focus, '08 E350, '13 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For me there's several reasons.

1- Cheaper
2- Haven't owned a stick in years and since this will be my "fun" vehicle and doesn't have to be my daily driver, I'd prefer a stick.
3- In 5 years it'll be my current 11 year olds first car. With a manual he can't text and drive and most of his idiot friends won't be able to drive his car.

Just some of my reasoning.
In 5 years, I'll still be playing with it. No way the 11 year old gets it.
Sponsored

wolfpackinva

Black Diamond
First Name
Santiago
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Focus, '08 E350, '13 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a 5-speed 2016 focus, and I love it. Plus, I have a rule that I will not buy a 4 cylinder without a manual. Automatic doesn't have the response I want.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I'm still undecided. Almost all of my cars have been manuals, with two recent exceptions: my JKU Wrangler and Charger Hellcat. The Charger only comes with an automatic and I personally felt the JKU manual I test drove was awful. I did own an S2000 and Camaro SS 1LE at the time, so that probably contributed to my feelings. Now, my Tacoma is a manual and it is kind of clunky if I am honest. I think I just prefer manuals in sporty cars and autos in trucks. Not being able to get a 2.7 or possibly even Sasquatch with a manual makes the decision easier.
It's always difficult to compare manuals up against the S2K. Oh man, that was a fantastic transmission they built!

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a 5-speed 2016 focus, and I love it. Plus, I have a rule that I will not buy a 4 cylinder without a manual. Automatic doesn't have the response I want.
I drove a manual rental car in Ireland last summer and it was fantastic on all the twisting up and down country roads. Had a blast driving it. The mythical automatic some people talk about, the one that always knows and does everything I want automatically, I haven't encountered that unicorn.

jdogi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have already explained that you have MORE control over a vehicle with a manual than with an auto.

It appears you can't handle the truth. Son, we live in a world that mainly has autos, and those autos require little to no thinking. Who's gonna drive a manual? You? Your wife? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for the manual option and you curse the those who get them. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know, that manuals are pure fun and require real driving. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves manuals! You don't want the truth, because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want to keep manuals alive. You need me to have one. We use words like "gears", "slipping the clutch", "double clutching" and "engine braking". We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to someone who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very transmission freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it! I would rather you just said "thank you", and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest learn how to drive a manual and actually order one. Either way, I don't give a JEEP what you think you about the only real way to drive!
We need some mechanism on this site where we can upvote posts with a special "epic post" flag. When I read the same post a second, and third time and still find myself laughing, it need to be enshrined.

Sponsored

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

20200803_130001.jpg
oh no i wanted the v8, now i cant get the 2.7 with a stick wtf!
20200803_130001.jpg

uncledoodoo

Everglades
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 XJ, 56 F100, 11 Volvo XC90, Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

because I want to experience 94.8/1. I also like shifting gears and since its a skill that most soy-boys don't have, I want it even more. I don't give a squirt if its better/faster or whatever. If I wanted fast I'd wouldn't be buying a Bronco. All that said, I'm not 100% dead-set against getting the automatic, but this is a toy for me, not a daily driver.

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I like having a strong left calf.

derpydestiny

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3 GT HB (MT)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
To answer your side note: I had a "Super Low" 1st gear in a '91 civic wagon 4wd with 6sp mt. The "SL1" was perfect for crawling in traffic. I'm not exactly sure what the gear ratio was in that, but with about 84 all-wheel torques on tap, it was just enough to keep the car rolling without using the clutch.Sure it would chug just a little bit but it was a bonnie and a beauty in rush-hour traffic (which lasts 20 hours a day here in Seattle, pre-covid). I am very excited about the MT in Bronco and the crawler gear in the MT actually makes this MORE convenient in traffic and more fun overall than the AT.
The old Civic wagons were the shit. Used to want one.

My WRX would only move along at 6mph in 1st gear without chugging. The Mazda 3's 1st gear is slightly more commuter friendly at 4mph.

I just saw Engineering Explained's video regarding the Crawler gear. According to his calculations, 1000rpm = 1 mph. So this would indeed be perfect for that super slow traffic crawl in urban areas.

Sponsored

Ride Em Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

My WRX would only move along at 6mph in 1st gear without chugging. The Mazda 3's 1st gear is slightly more commuter friendly at 4mph.

I just saw Engineering Explained's video regarding the Crawler gear. According to his calculations, 1000rpm = 1 mph. So this would indeed be perfect for that super slow traffic crawl in urban areas.
So for the "super slow traffic crawl in urban areas" going to the Mall, we would then engage the "Mall Crawl" gear. :)

jdogi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can't recall... Out of curiosity, do we know whether or not the crawl gear will be restricted to when the transfer case is in low gear? I can't think why or how it would be, just curious.

DonsBronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The mythical automatic some people talk about, the one that always knows and does everything I want automatically, I haven't encountered that unicorn.
Trust me that Unicorn does exist, go take a test drive in a Porsche Macan SUV with there dual clutch PDK automatic, it is just about the best automatic trans ever made. My Mercedes with it's more conventional 7 speed auto is pretty close to the Porsche PDK. Both of these automatics always seem to know what gear to be in, know if they should hold a gear, or how many gears to downshift, and never any delay.
I have driven quite a few Ford vehicles with the ten speed and while it is OK it isn't world class, but it is something I can live with

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And reverse in the subaru is even worse. WTF would I want to go that fast in reverse? I back into my narrow driveway and it is uphill (3.5% grade) with a wiggle about 100' ft in. The subaru will stall at idle on that grade and to not stall it is as at least 6mph. WHY?

I've been going back and forth on the 2 door versus 4 door. My narrow driveway (a little less than 10') with the wiggle (shifts over about 15' in 25') is a big bonus for the 2 door.

I think the 1mph is for 4 low, if I could chug along at 2 or 3mph without stalling or bouncing in 2H I'd be happy.

Some one above asked about the 10 speed - I rented an expedition a while back and put 1500 miles on it. The 10sp was OK but it had a CVT feel on the highway. Sort of floating up and down looking for the right gear. Overall though it wasn't bad and I didn't notice jerky starts but the auto stop/start was terrible. But bigger engines make automatics more tolerable.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I can't recall... Out of curiosity, do we know whether or not the crawl gear will be restricted to when the transfer case is in low gear? I can't think why or how it would be, just curious.
Please clarify, what are you talking about?

Crawl gear is manually selected using the gear lever, and there is a "lock out" security switch below the shift knob you have to pull on while shifting to engage "C" (crawl). It cannot be selected above a pre-determined speed (usually about 0-4 mph).

Ford Bronco What's with the manual trans hype? screen-shot-2020-06-10-at-3-38-52-pm-1591817962
Sponsored