DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I‘ve never driven an automatic car or truck that wouldn’t have been MUCH MORE fun with a manual. I had an 85 Toyota pickup manual that was a blast to row through the gears even though it had zero horsepower. Auto may be better in certain scenarios but for the 95% of the time you’re not rock crawling, rowing gears will be more engaging and satisfying. Kind of hard to argue. There’s more to do. Extra pedal, gear shifter. I have a Camry Hybrid daily driver...auto. Boring as hell. If they came in manual, it would be much less boring.

Bronco should have at least been offered with a proper paddle shift transmission or even a good sport shift mode.
Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
...a proper paddle shift transmission ....
Ford Bronco What's with the manual trans hype? 688ba771d540573c30c893c95332f325[1]

Jokes aside (there's a beverage here!), I certainly "get" the applications and needs for paddle shift in motorsports.

But when it comes to public roads, your average driver doesn't understand how to properly use throttle and braking, or a turn signal let alone proper gear shifting. So a paddle shift is completely unnecessary.

For off-road applications I also don't see the need of paddle shifting. If the driver needs greater control over gearing then you might as well have a manual transmission. Otherwise, there's no need for twin puck clutches, DGS or paddle shifting. Stop and go pedals work fine.

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What I find amusing is there is all this Macho talk about manual transmissions
but at the same time, so many posts about 33s being enough.

:unsure:

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My history:

'05 Liberty: Auto
'07 H3x: Auto
'10 Boxster S (Dad's weekend car that became a Daily): Auto (PDk/Auto, same difference)
'02 TT 225: Manual
'07 A4: Manual
'16 Ecoboost Mustang: Auto
'19 Ram Rebel: Auto

Notice a trend there? Never owned a brand new manual and figure I'm teaching my friend stick, so why not get another one for myself as I'm selling the Audi

Judge Rufus

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Wheeler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX80, GMC Sierra, Mercedes SLK32 AMG,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Bronco should have at least been offered with a proper paddle shift transmission or even a good sport shift mode.
You bought the wrong type of vehicle for your wishes and desires. Sorry dude!
square-peg-round-hole-gif.gif.gif

Sponsored

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I like 3-pedal driving more simply because I want to be part of the decision process in the driving experience. I enjoy the 10-speed in my F150 for its smoothness and technological wonderment, but I have zero connection with the machinery comfortably moving me along.

I look forward to being the one who’s able to replicate that smoothness using my clutch, timing and shifting skills. It can be done, it’s satisfying and it keeps me interested in the basics of driving. I guess I’m forever old school as far as transmission preference goes.

I also just enjoy off-roading with a manual more than an auto, though I’m likely to make more of a mess of the shifting process. Love the challenge.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

33" tires exclude somebody from being macho? This thread keeps bringing the mustard.

I just thought it excluded them from feeling pressure to overcompensate in their future Tinder profile pics with those big, girthy tires....

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Automatics exclude somebody from being macho? This thread keeps bringing the mustard.

I just thought it excluded them from feeling pressure to overcompensate in their future Tinder profile pics with that 3rd pedal.
Fixed it for how it appears in the Manual Transmission discussions.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

33" tires exclude somebody from being macho? This thread keeps bringing the mustard.

I just thought it excluded them from feeling pressure to overcompensate in their future Tinder profile pics with those big, girthy tires....
You can post on grinder with mansquatch.

Sponsored

ScrunchFace

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Old men with fragile egos and tight wallets? :unsure:

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I thoroughly enjoyed driving a manual on the backroads in Ireland. Up hill, down hill, around the curves, shifting based on the road and what I saw ahead. I don't think an auto would have matched that, and certainly not in the fun category.

Off-road I've driven manual and auto. I think it's hard to beat the slow speed control of an automatic. With the torque converter, you essentially get infinite slow speed control, to the point of stopping in gear. Ease up on a rock, think about it for a bit, ease forward. Can be a nice feature.

That said - I'm likely going manual with the new Bronco because:
1) Lower cost
2) My autos keep cr*pping out later in vehicle life

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've had the following offroad rigs:
79 CJ5 -- 3 spd manual
82 CJ7 -- 5 spd manual
92 YJ -- 5 spd manual
95 XJ -- 5 spd manual
02 TJ -- 5 spd manual
79 F150 -- 4 spd manual
11 Ram 1500 -- 5 spd automatic
16 Tacoma -- 6 spd Automatic.
06 KJ -- 5 spd Automatic
95 Xplorer -- 5 spd automatic

Almost never have I been driving automatic and wished I had a manual. But there's been many times, especially when rock crawling with some of my more built rigs that I've wished I was driving an auto over the stick.

What am I missing here? Modern automatics are so much easier to drive on and off road.
Agreed. I have had a ton of manuals and up until the late 90s they offered a performance advantage in some ways over the then current 4 speed (3speed plus overdrive) “slush boxes”. These days a manual is a performance disadvantage and typically delivers less mileage along with reduced measured performance. It’s completely a personal preference thing. I agree it’s more involving. For me, it’s particularly true on road. For others it’s the romance or connection to past vehicles they have owned or dreamed of owning. The final straw for me is traffic. Even a good manual gets tiring in a long commute or back up. To each their own, but your not missing anything I can quantify.