Sponsored

When will Bronco become a real threat to Jeep?

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IMHO part of the issue is the blind fanboy jeep fan that wont admit the engine and trans suck. They could be in the shop 90% of the time, catch fire 1hr after purchase, leak oil and be on the second engine in 30k miles and still say it is the greatest ever. Nothing is going to take those buyers away.

I would be interested in where sales come from though. From other Ford SUV lines...instead of an Explorer or Edge lets get the Bronco...or lets downsize a little from the Expedition. How much does it take from Yota and Jeep. I mean it could also take some sales away from the Grand Cherokee as much as the Wrangler.

In the end I think the competition is good for everyone. I am just glad there will be a Bronco.

FWIW...a Wrangler is not and in no way shape or form ever an option. I am however probably taking sale away from a 4 runner or Ranger.
Sponsored

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

IMHO part of the issue is the blind fanboy jeep fan that wont admit the engine and trans suck. They could be in the shop 90% of the time, catch fire 1hr after purchase, leak oil and be on the second engine in 30k miles and still say it is the greatest ever. Nothing is going to take those buyers away.
The good thing here is, jeep fanboys probably only make up a 'sliver' of all Jeep sales. So Ford doesn't need to worry about trying to win them over. They just need to target all the 'mall crawlers', 'young kids' that like to customize everything cuz it looks kill. That's how they'll take the market share of this segment. But in doing so, they also need to offer a superior product to pick up the rest of the crowd.

And you know what? I'm a Bronco fanboy. Have been ever since my pop's gave me his '84 back when I turned 18 (in '88, I know, spoiled). But that started my love affair with the Bronco, and not Jeep, nor Toyota or anyone else will ever win me over.

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
Tomorrow's release of the Bronco will be the determining factor for me. I have a 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon in Sting Grey on order, should be ready in the middle of August. However, if the Bronco is the real deal, I'm canceling my order and placing a deposit on a Bronco.

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
Tomorrow's release of the Bronco will be the determining factor for me. I have a 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon in Sting Grey on order, should be ready in the middle of August. However, if the Bronco is the real deal, I'm canceling my order and placing a deposit on a Bronco.

Also, I completely understand Wrangler SFA and Bronco IFS. That will not be the deciding factor for me, I have had IFS Tacoma's and I did just fine keeping up with the SFA boys and I do not think I will be doing insane rock crawling anytime soon. Just wanted to make that clear before anyone Quotes me and says, "There is a big difference suspension wise blah blah blah"

Sponsored

IROCnRoll

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It will be a “threat” right off the bat. However, I do not think Bronco is going to destroy the Jeep’s sales or anything. IMO it might hurt the 4Runner more than Jeep. But it is going to make the pie bigger overall will be the main effect. Off road SUV’s are not losing any popularity anytime soon and Jeep, 4Runner, and Bronco can all exist in the same marketplace.
4runner is still good, but could use a redesign.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So...? We're waiting.

dpav02

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would be interested in where sales come from though. From other Ford SUV lines...instead of an Explorer or Edge lets get the Bronco...or lets downsize a little from the Expedition. How much does it take from Yota and Jeep. I mean it could also take some sales away from the Grand Cherokee as much as the Wrangler.

In the end I think the competition is good for everyone. I am just glad there will be a Bronco.

FWIW...a Wrangler is not and in no way shape or form ever an option. I am however probably taking sale away from a 4 runner or Ranger.
TL;DR: For me personally, this stole a sale away from Toyota

Unnecessary long details: So I have a 2006 4Runner Sport with 176,000. Honest to God, freaking LOVE that thing. Super reliable and never needs much.

However, the new 4Runners are just... well, old, tired, and boring. Will it run forever like my current one? Yes. But all the 2020 model has over mine is a screen and a backup camera. (Mine doesn't really compare with the TRD Pro model so I'm not including the rear locker or crawl control).

I can 100% say that for me, this took a sale away from Toyota. I just hope to hell this is even 1/2 has reliable as my Yota was.

If it's not, I'll never be back. They'll lose me forever. This is their one shot.

High Proof

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am a Wrangler owner currently. I have a reservation on an FE. I'm an easy convert though. I don't spend a lot of time at Jeep events and hanging out with Jeep clubs other than for organized trail rides now and again. The people who do may not want to switch because it cuts off their social life. They hang with Jeep people and have invested a lot of time and money getting to know Jeeps. They have a vested interest. That will slow down conversion amongst the die hards.

When I look at it though all I see is a Jeep that suddenly looks very outdated. The Bronco came from a clean slate with a lot of motivation to make things exceptional. Jeep has been geared around maximizing profits. Don't give up too much on the base models so people buy the more expensive models for example.

The Bronco blows it away. It's a modern vehicle. I don't even know how you modernize the Jeeps to keep up. You would have to change it so much that you might lose the loyalists anyway. How do you fit a 12" screen on that dash? Do you go to frameless doors? etc, etc, etc.

I was going to buy a new Gladiator that is coming to my dealer this month. Not now. So that is one sale lost. And the vast majority of Jeep buyers are not loyalists. Around here people buy them to go to the beach. The Bronco is going to catch the attention of those buyers and steal a lot of them away. When it is on the road and people see it compared to a base Jeep with it's tiny tires they are going to want the Bronco.

Sponsored

Hbass321

Outer Banks
First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am a Wrangler owner currently. I have a reservation on an FE. I'm an easy convert though. I don't spend a lot of time at Jeep events and hanging out with Jeep clubs other than for organized trail rides now and again. The people who do may not want to switch because it cuts off their social life. They hang with Jeep people and have invested a lot of time and money getting to know Jeeps. They have a vested interest. That will slow down conversion amongst the die hards.

When I look at it though all I see is a Jeep that suddenly looks very outdated. The Bronco came from a clean slate with a lot of motivation to make things exceptional. Jeep has been geared around maximizing profits. Don't give up too much on the base models so people buy the more expensive models for example.

The Bronco blows it away. It's a modern vehicle. I don't even know how you modernize the Jeeps to keep up. You would have to change it so much that you might lose the loyalists anyway. How do you fit a 12" screen on that dash? Do you go to frameless doors? etc, etc, etc.

I was going to buy a new Gladiator that is coming to my dealer this month. Not now. So that is one sale lost. And the vast majority of Jeep buyers are not loyalists. Around here people buy them to go to the beach. The Bronco is going to catch the attention of those buyers and steal a lot of them away. When it is on the road and people see it compared to a base Jeep with it's tiny tires they are going to want the Bronco.
I’m pretty much like you. Love my Jeep and all that encompasses, but I’m not an extreme offroader. Where I live we don’t have much offroading. I mostly drive town and country roads anyway. The Bronco innovated. The Wrangler evolved. I’ll still love Jeep and the history behind it, but I’ve come to love the Bronco and the history behind it.

Mel

Black Diamond
First Name
Melanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep TJ, 2017 Spider 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

I agree completely, tiny tires on that wide body, looks ridiculous. The moment you walk out of the Jeep dealership you have to upgrade tires and are almost forced to body lift or level it. Base model Sport still being offered with manual doors locks and windows all for just shy of $30k. Jeep got caught sitting on their hands, Bronco has brought their best to the game. Jeep had all this time to improve and develop, it. just seems they tried to get as much money out of their loyal followers without really giving much in return. Mind you I'm a purest, I have restored my 2002 TJ 69K original miles which I purchased about 5 years ago and wouldn't sell/trade that car in for anything. My TJ is my vision of a what a Jeep is and looks like, but I will most likely be trading in my daily driver for a Bronco. Reserved a Black Diamond yesterday.

grapesie13

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From a Jeep owner for the last six years, who just sold his third Jeep....I will tell you your post is quite overblown. Shop 90% of the time, catch fire, leak etc is...well, borderline laughable. You simply have no idea what you're talking about. The new transmission on the 2019 JLUR I just sold was a damn dream compared to the past. I have done nothing to my Jeeps besides scheduled maintenance.

Anyway, just sold my third Jeep and I will tell you all the Bronco will 100% pull us Jeep owners away as it is with me. That being said, educate yourself before making bogus claims like this guy with his Fusion and Escape. Owning a Ford honestly terrifies me, but as long as it's under warranty I will be happy.

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

From a Jeep owner for the last six years, who just sold his third Jeep....I will tell you your post is quite overblown. Shop 90% of the time, catch fire, leak etc is...well, borderline laughable. You simply have no idea what you're talking about. The new transmission on the 2019 JLUR I just sold was a damn dream compared to the past. I have done nothing to my Jeeps besides scheduled maintenance.

Anyway, just sold my third Jeep and I will tell you all the Bronco will 100% pull us Jeep owners away as it is with me. That being said, educate yourself before making bogus claims like this guy with his Fusion and Escape. Owning a Ford honestly terrifies me, but as long as it's under warranty I will be happy.
Welcome, glad your getting a Bronco. Here on Bronco6g we like to have fun and part of that is humor and sarcasm (/s), please take the 90% comment in that light.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
My wife always wanted a wrangler and one day I even stopped at the Jeep dealership and asked if I could test drive a Rubicon alone and they said yes. I drove it right to my house and texted my wife to come out and she almost shit her pants (she does this when she gets super nervous .. don't ask me why and if you know why let me know because it confuses me also). I let her drive it and it was a DOG. No power whatsoever. I can't imagine guys who runs 35s on the Wranglers as it must be slow as hell.

I told her let's wait for the Bronco to come out. So after the debut yesterday, she is interested and wants to see one in person and to test drive one.

So there you go .. jeep just lost a sale because of the bronco.
Sponsored