Sponsored

Why are you choosing the Bronco over competitors like 4Runner and Wrangler?

RockEye

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Subaru WRX STI, 2DR Badlands Reservation
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

dave91gt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F250, 1991 Mustang GT, 1992 Mustang LX, 2018 Wrangler JLU, 1998 Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We are primarily a Ford family. My 2018 F250 PSD, sons 2011 F150, and two foxbody Mustangs.
But we’ve had at least one Wrangler in the fleet for years. Wife’s daily driver is a Mopar lifted 2018 JLU. Her other is a Zone lifted 98TJ
Prior to that, she had a few Fords as her daily drivers. Latest were a 2013 Explorer Sport and then her 2015 Expedition limited.
Back in 2018 I had a gen1 Raptor and she had the Expedition.
My job gave me a 2018 4Runner to drive. So we traded the Raptor and Expedition in on the F250. It’s a Lariat Ultimate so it’s loaded.
I later returned the 4Runner (long story) and started driving the F250 and we bought the JLU for her.
So- the Bronco.
Her JLU has nagging issues that are common. The steering is horrible. Enough so she has started driving her old Jeep mainly. FCA has no fix. In addition, the uconnect has a mind of its own. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn’t. She prefers Fords Sync interface. Plus by far the ecoboosts she’s had ruined her. The JLU runs fine. It has 315’s. But it never sees 8th gear. No torque. But if you wind it up, it runs good.
She averages 15mpg. It’s a nice vehicle otherwise.
My experience with the 4Runner.
Power was pretty low. Constantly shifting. Averaged 16mpg. Interior was plain and electronics were way behind. It had great build quality though. Easy to drive and did go pretty well off-road. I didn’t mind it.
So if the Bronco offers the fun utility of the Wrangler, cool styling and ground clearance, it’s in the running for us. We already know the ecoboosts will dominate and getting 34-35” tall tires stock will be a big plus. As much as I like a SFA, for us, the 4Runner had substantially better ride and steering over the JL.
Plus
It’s
A
Ford

Escape_Artist

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT;
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
4Runner - 4.0 released in 2002 - updated in 2009 (current offering)
Tacoma - 3.5 released in 2015 - designed for sedans

Great options :ROFLMAO:
exactly. and they are anemic

TyRy07

Base
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 silverado rcsb
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford Bronco Why are you choosing the Bronco over competitors like 4Runner and Wrangler? E3FD0309-9AA0-4D8B-8612-217E7062EAAB
Used to have a 2 door jimmy and honestly it was my favorite vehicle as a daily driver. Something about a short wheelbase and decent ground clearance. Great multi-purpose vehicle. Not really anything out there at the moment that fills that void for me. Maybe a 2 door wrangler but I’d rather have IFS since most of its life is spent on road. Removable doors and top is just icing on the cake in my eyes

Adk_st

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Toyota 4runner TRD Pro '57 CHEVY 6400
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It's interesting to me everyone complains about the 4runner being outdated and underpowered. My Bluetooth connects quickly. And gps works great. No lag using the screen. Quick easy layout. HVAC works great with big knobs. Maybe it's personal (I don't like a lot of modern tech in vehicles. Just give me good audio), but the damn thing does everything I want it to and does it well. Plenty of interior room and storage. Makes a great fishing rig. I drive a fair bit to fish/camp and it eats up the miles great(5k miles in the two months I've had it). The pro suspension with the bilsteins eats up road imperfections.

I got into it last night on the way home for shits and gigs and it's not a speed demon, but it has no problem getting up to speed. Need to get it above 3k rpm to get it really moving. Ecoboost should be torquier down low for sure, but it's decent power wise. If I could change one thing I'd add one more gear to the transmission.

Overall I'm really enjoying it. I'm happy to not be in a position to have to buy a vehicle anymore. I'm still really interested in the Bronco, but I'll be a second year buyer at the soonest. I want to see what Ford has planned!

I'm curious about these hemi rumors. I'll never buy a jeep, but if Ford has to respond with a V8 Bronco down the road....hot diggity damn. That'd be something. A Godzilla Bronco would blow people's minds

Ford Bronco Why are you choosing the Bronco over competitors like 4Runner and Wrangler? IMG_20200616_210306

IMG_20200616_174022~2.jpg

Last edited:

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It's interesting to me everyone complains about the 4runner being outdated and underpowered. My Bluetooth connects quickly. And gps works great. No lag using the screen. Quick easy layout. HVAC works great with big knobs. Maybe it's personal (I don't like a lot of modern tech in vehicles. Just give me good audio), but the damn thing does everything I want it to and does it well. Plenty of interior room and storage. Makes a great fishing rig. I drive a fair bit to fish/camp and it eats up the miles great(5k miles in the two months I've had it). The pro suspension with the bilsteins eats up road imperfections.

I got into it last night on the way home for shits and gigs and it's not a speed demon, but it has no problem getting up to speed. Need to get it above 3k rpm to get it really moving. Ecoboost should be torquier down low for sure, but it's decent power wise. If I could change one thing I'd add one more gear to the transmission.

Overall I'm really enjoying it. I'm happy to not be in a position to have to buy a vehicle anymore. I'm still really interested in the Bronco, but I'll be a second year buyer at the soonest. I want to see what Ford has planned!

I'm curious about these hemi rumors. I'll never buy a jeep, but if Ford has to respond with a V8 Bronco down the road....hot diggity damn. That'd be something. A Godzilla Bronco would blow people's minds
Agreed. People sure dog on the 4Runner...but it's a VERY well built and capable truck. If the Bronco doesn't pan out for me, I won't feel like I'm settling with a 4Runner.

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

4Runner - 4.0 released in 2002 - updated in 2009 (current offering)
Tacoma - 3.5 released in 2015 - designed for sedans

Great options :ROFLMAO:
The 3.5 is a dog in my wife’s highlander.

Sponsored

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The 3.5 is a dog in my wife’s highlander.
I bet! :rolleyes:

This is a list of all the vehicles in the Toyota family that use the 3.5. Which ones look like the odd ducks to y'all? :ROFLMAO:
Ford Bronco Why are you choosing the Bronco over competitors like 4Runner and Wrangler? tacoma

Why didn't toyota just stick the 4.0 in the Tacoma?

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

my only complaint with the 4runner is the motor, it is a dog. But every other motor of mine puts out 500+ horses, so....yeah.

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
That engine needs a much better transmission.
Sponsored