Sponsored

Why don’t you use sport mode on road?

Why don’t you use sport mode on road most or all of the time?

• Total voters

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would love to stay in sport 2H if it would stay where I left it.
Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How much faster is a Bronco in sport mode? Not at all.
How much more power does a Bronco have in sport mode? None.
If I floor it in normal mode, how does that compare to flooring it in sport mode? It's the same.

So, what's the difference? The throttle is mapped more aggressively so that 10% throttle in sport mode equals more engine power output than 10% throttle in normal mode (for example). Shift points and other transmission and steering parameters are changed as well.

Does sport mode make my Bronco a sports car? No, far from it. It still handles like a 5,000 pound brick with a high center of gravity. 😁 My sports car sucks off-road. The Bronco sucks as a sports car. Each has their place. Don't confuse the two because of twitchy throttle response. ;)

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Honestly I thing a better way to phrase this question is "why use sport mode". Even with the 2.3L the default mode has plenty of power and you don't have to change the mode every time you start the vehicle. As far as I can tell the only difference between Economy - Normal - Sport modes is throttle response, and all that means is you press the pedal down less to get the same throttle position for sport mode. Many vehicles have a front end loaded throttle, meaning you push the pedal a small amount and you're already at wide open. This is to fool those in Rio Linda to think their car is more powerful than it is -- "I pushed the pedal only 1/4 of the way down and it has this much power" The Bronco normal mode is about right in my opinion, you get adequate acceleration with about a 1/4 push, but plenty of power if you bury it.
This is exactly 100% correct. Driving purists (and I'm talking about you manual transmission people, especially) should want/prefer/demand a throttle response that exactly maps engine power output. 10% throttle equals 10% engine power output. 37% throttle equals 37% power output, etc.

fallguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Defender, 2022 Outerbanks SAS, 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I like sport mode, but dislike that everytime I start my bronco it has to ask if i want to stay in sport and if I click yes it switches it back to 4a.
This is exactly my reason. Its annoying.

It is more fun with the tune though. In a 2 door, and aftermarket bumper on the back it really lifts the front end up too, which as silly as it sounds I like.

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like the red accents in the dash in sport mode ;)

Sponsored

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is exactly 100% correct. Driving purists (and I'm talking about you manual transmission people, especially) should want/prefer/demand a throttle response that exactly maps engine power output. 10% throttle equals 10% engine power output. 37% throttle equals 37% power output, etc.
With a turbo you'll never get that.

Bring on the V8 6-speed Bronco!!!
I can't wait until oem-quality swaps are available...

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a stick-shift so the only thing sport mode does is make the throttle touchier.

On an auto-magic Sport mode is great, turns off A/SS, fixes your shift points, and you actually get better MPG because of the aforementioned shift point adjustment. Use it always on the wife's F-150.

On a stick, it really doesn't do anything, and A/SS only kicks in if you are in neutral, which for normal driving, it never is. (I have to hit the A/SS button when I'm at the drive through ATM)

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
As far as I can tell the only difference between Economy - Normal - Sport modes is throttle response, and all that means is you press the pedal down less to get the same throttle position for sport mode.
Sport Mode does 4 things with the Manual.

1) remaps throttle response to make it more front loaded. Don't care, if I need more throttle response I'll just mash the peddle more, and I have finer control with less front loading, so Normal is better IMHO.

2) theoretically tightens up the steering. Personally can't feel a difference.

3) turns off A/SS which never triggers for me in normal driving anyway because I'm not in neutral.

4) opens the louvers on the turbo-coolers, which are probably open anyway because I live in Phoenix. Honestly I hear them open ever time I get in the car.

On an automatic, it fixes Ford's horrible shift point logic. The default logic is constantly chasing higher gears and doesn't downshift fast enough. I always get better MPG (with an auto) with sport because it downshifts faster, and holds gears longer, which means higher RPM with less boost. (boost is the MPG killer)

Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Min_Ahn

Badlands
First Name
Min
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang, 2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wish the sports mode stiffened the steering wheel like it does in pretty much all other cars, even the F150

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Because my Bronco and I are virtually the entire world apart. She hasn’t seen pavement since 6 December 2022. Oh to use ANY mode again!

Ford Bronco Why don’t you use sport mode on road? 1694191397068
at the bottom of the world eh?

TCC

Wildtrak
First Name
TC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX -> WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I use Sport Mode (and switch back to 2A) mostly when driving on mountain roads because the shift points, gear hold on descents, and seems to help keep boost down on accents.
Sponsored